Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sega Genesis CD Model 2 Audio question

Hey guys,

I have question concerning The Sega genesis system and audio output

first off, i know there's different revisions of the model 2 board, each with their own sound chips. I've heard the A3, and A4 boards are the best in the sound department... can this be confirmed? (what sound chip should i be looking for on the board to confirm that)

here's my question.... If i was to use the Sega CD RCA output instead of the audio coming out from the back of the Genesis itself, does it even matter than what revision my model 2 genesis is? Would using the RCA output bypass the genesis' sound chip altogether?

Also, which output method will provide the best sound? From the AV on the back of the genesis/32x, or through the RCA outputs on the SEGA CD?

anyone with personal experience i would greatly appreciate your expert advice.

thanks!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

anyone know anything about SegaCD?

i'll buy you icecream

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

using the Sega CD audio output does not improve the audio of the genesis in any fashion. I personally leave my Audio jacks connected there, but it does not improve sound. I have a Genesis 2 with the inferior sound output, and although my CD games sounds perfect, u can hear some muddling and distortion when playing cart games. There is a crystal clear mod you can do, but if you are like me and you play Sega CD, it kinda doesn't create the perfect solution at this time. I am not certain which boards have the best sound, I do know that there are different video encoders, and unfortunately I have the crappy Samsung ones that are not Svideo capable.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Duo_R your the man!

thanks for the help dude.

I have a link here with an awesome thread about the best version genesis models. i think you will appreciate this:

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4875

Basically the only way to check is to open up your Sega. I have 3 upstairs that i have yet to check on, but i'm hoping at least one of them has the Sony video chip (Sony CXA1645). that's the chip you want.

As for best sound chip, it think the only way to tell is by the Motherboard version (V3 and V4 are the best)

Read that thread, and on page 2 this guy named "Ace" lays it down on everything you need to know about which models have the best audio and video.

and just to clarify, there's no difference at all whether your running your sound out from the back of the genesis, or out of the RCA on Sega CD?
    Last edited by Retromangia; 03-22-2009 at 02:42 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the CXA encoder chip is a Video encoder chip, not a sound chip. Now systems that have the CXA video encoder chip probably also have the better sound encoder chips (it is more expensive parts). I unfortunately do not have the CXA chip, but I did a RGB mod and an encoder to get component video on my Genny. So you can say I skipped over the Svideo option.

Quote Originally Posted by Retromangia View Post
    Duo_R your the man!

thanks for the help dude.

I have a link here with an awesome thread about the best version genesis models. i think you will appreciate this:

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4875

Basically the only way to check is to open up your Sega. I have 3 upstairs that i have yet to check on, but i'm hoping at least one of them has the Sony sound chip (Sony CXA1645). that's the chip you want.

Read that thread, and on page 2 this guy named "Ace" lays it down on everything you need to know about which models have the best audio and video.

and just to clarify, there's no difference at all whether your running your sound out from the back of the genesis, or out of the RCA on Sega CD?
    Last edited by duo_r; 03-22-2009 at 02:38 AM.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I own a Model 2 Sega CD, and a Model 1 Genesis. Does the model 1 genesis have a better sound output? You might try using that combination if thats the case. I use the stereo mini cable, provided with the Sega CD. I connect it to the back audio input of the Sega CD, which sends it out via RCA jacks.

It doesn't sound bad, but it isn't an improvement over the Model 1 Genesis Audio. For the simple fact (by my reasoning) that the Sega CD can't improve on the original source, which is the headphone jack on the Genesis 1.
    Last edited by TheDomesticInstitution; 03-22-2009 at 08:29 AM.