Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RGB from consoles - Can I go to VGA?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    Yes, that's what I mean.

What's the next step to convert the signal into proper YPbPr? I'm guessing that I need to put the green signal somewhere other than the green cable.
    Yeah, you'd need a box in between that would do the math on the signals I put above. Green gets added to the red and blue and the brightness put on it's own signal. I don't think there's a passive way to do it. If you want an electronics project there's probally sites that will show schematics. It will be more than splicing and rerouting wires. There's probally going to amplifiers and IC chips but it shouldn't be toooooo difficult if you've ever done anything like that before. Of course it's still going to be a lot easier to buy a convertor.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by evildragon View Post
    Yea, um, Y/Pr/Pb is NOT RGB..

Y > Luma (Greyscale image with sync)
    Pr > Red minus green
    Pb > Blue minus green

Whatever is left from Luma is green. If I remembered that right. It's mathmatic. But RGB is Red, Green, and Blue. Just because the connectors are colored RGB doesn't mean Component is RGB.
    Yeah, I think that's right except I think it's munus Luma instead of green. Luma is basically a standard B&W signal which is R+B+G=B&W. That's how you still have green even though there's no green signal. Luma-R-B = green.

I'm a bit fuzzy on this stuff as well so I might have the details mixed up too.

btw...I'm no expert but I used to build, test, and repair video output boards. I'm a CE though so I never got too far into analog signal processing.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You might be correct on it being minus luma.

I know that the luma hasn't changed since TV began though. It's good ol regular black and white TV.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Get this. http://www.arcademvs.com/rgbstovga.htm This will let you do both RGBS and Component video to VGA. It is a scaler that will let you meet several resolutions on your monitor and do 4:3 and 16:9 on your screen either way what your monitor will be.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by drewman21 View Post
    Get this. http://www.arcademvs.com/rgbstovga.htm This will let you do both RGBS and Component video to VGA. It is a scaler that will let you meet several resolutions on your monitor and do 4:3 and 16:9 on your screen either way what your monitor will be.
    That looks promising, but it doesn't help me without a price or supplier. I'd just wire the console to the 8-pin input on that, right?

At any rate, I'm looking for something closer to the range of $50 than $200...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I said it before and I'll say it again, JROK.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you want pure RGB to VGA better get one of the XRGB upscalers. They are the best plus scanlines support.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here is the same board as i posted earlier. http://cgi.ebay.com/Arcade-RGBS-CGA-...742.m153.l1262 It is 49$ plus shipping. You can find it cheaper on ebay if you keep a eye out. I have a Jrok too but this has features the Jrok doesn't and is still cheaper.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What would I need in terms of a power adaptor for that board? Also, what's the approximate difference between it and the JROK equivalent? This is very helpful so far, so thank you everyone for your information.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The board takes 5v DC at 1.5 amps. The board only puts out VGA. The Jrok will only do rgb in and kick out composite, s-video, and component. The rgb board can do up-scaleing for vga resolutions. The Jrok board only can pass through what it is given. It can do 480i and maybe 480p. I don't think it can do higher but then again i don't know of any machine that will do a RGB signal above 480p. I would pick what would work best for you. If you have a widescreen LCD i would make sure that your VGA port, if it has one, can do resolutions that the VGA board will output to. If it doesn't you'll not get the most out of it.
    Hope that helps. Yell if you have any more questions.