Thread: Hooking Dreamcast to projector with RGB component?

Insert Coin (Level 0) drunkninja's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Hooking Dreamcast to projector with RGB component?

Basically, at work (a local gaming shop) we have a Canon LV-7225 projector (manual here: http://www.projectorcentral.com/pdf/...anual_2584.pdf ) that we would like to connect a Dreamcast to. The problem is that when it was installed, all the VGA connections were run through the walls as component. Apparently this projector can take component or RGB signals through the VGA port, so I bought one of these cable to attempt to hook up the Dreamcast (from the DC VGA box): http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Needless to say, it didn't work, but I did see a picture flicker once in a while. After thinking about the color of the cables coming through (the A/V store that installed the projector was nice enough to color code the cables), they all match the ones on the end of this cable: http://shop.vetcosurplus.com/catalog...oducts_id=7319 which looks basically the same, but has extra connectors for sync apparently.

So before I sink more money in cables that won't work, does anyone know of that second cable would work alright? It seems I was probably missing the 2 sync cables before and that's what led to the flickering.

Level 10 Manly Pink Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pirate OTK
    PSN
    theguywithus

Why did you let the installer only do VGA? This projector looks like it's capable of so much more. From looking through the manual it supports DVI, S-video, and more importantly regular RCA. I'd just hook it through there.

Insert Coin (Level 0) drunkninja's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by otoko View Post
    Why did you let the installer only do VGA? This projector looks like it's capable of so much more. From looking through the manual it supports DVI, S-video, and more importantly regular RCA. I'd just hook it through there.
    It was already hooked up that way before I (or the current owner) came around, so I don't know. And yeah, I know it can do regular RCA, but I was hoping to avoid having to run new cables through the ceiling and wall if possible.