Who was it here that tried to make a modern 8-bit console? The Epiphany I believe it was called. From recollection, DP member Video Gaming Bible started the project from his own site.

In fact, I think he said "I am merely going to 'shoehorn' it into production". Since Google didn't turn up anything on it, I assumed VGB dropped the idea.

But I really loved the concept and wished it went further. Is there anything similar being worked on?

If you were to take on such a project, what would your main goals be?

Here's what I would aim for, in order of importance to me:

1. Rom-cart based would be a must-have. I believe the Epiphany was to be cd-rom. I thought that part was a mistake, despite the obvious ease of part replacement and a stable vendor base. But rom cartrigdes are simply preferred by collectors for numerous reasons (I maintain that rom carts are simply more asthetically pleasing and have a more substantive feel+the ease-of-CD-bootleg factor)
2. superior sound (for an 8-bit)
3. Awesome Controllers (Neo Geo-like)
4. a CPU with a well-known ASM. It's got to be coder-friendly.
5. Great games. Making old 8-bit games might not be that hard. There's even freeware sprite makers. Hell, all the games could be made using freeware.

Basically, I would build a Neo Geo for the '80s. What would you build?

P.S. I may have gotten my facts wrong on the Epiphany and VGB thing, but I don't think so. I've got a damn good memory.

P.S.S I hope this isn't one of those "jeez, we get this damn question every week from you newbies". I'm a member on countless forums and I'll take that heat, just point be to one of the relevant threads and I'll join that one.

[/list][/b][/u]