Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: April 2009 Finds

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    Today I went to my first garage sale of the season (I guess it was more of a moving sale, though), and was not disappointed. It helped that the one we went to had playstation and "ninetendo" stuff listed in its CL ad. They also had Lego stuff listed. I'll get to that in a minute. We got there at 10 to nine (ad said 9am start) and there were cars lining the street on both sides already. It was definitely a lot more people than I expected, but it is early in the season and there aren't a lot of sales yet, so that concentrates people.

Most of the sale was inside the house, and it was a total feeding frenzy on the Lego stuff. These people easily had 5-10 grand worth of lego sets, mostly Star Wars. We're talking the big death star, star destroyers, millennium falcon, tie interceptor, y-wing, and new star wars vehicles that I don't know the names of. That's just the big stuff! There were tons and tons of smaller and medium things as well. I might have looked for some lego stuff since I really like them, but it was all in a kind of small corner by the kitchen, and the whole scene was just mad. I think a lot was priced decently (for the seller I mean... $40 for the y-wing comes to mind, $40 for a med-large Falcon), but some stuff wasn't priced at all. Mix in the clear professionals that had tubs of legos and more stacked on top, and yeah, total chaos.

Fortunately the games appeared untouched (I surveyed the lego scene after dealing w/ the games). There was a sign that said video games were 2 bucks each, so I picked out what's in the pic (list below). Well, first I asked how much for the nice boxed NES Action Set. She wanted $75 for all the NES stuff (what I got plus ~5 more games and the boxed system: games I left were the likes of Cabal, Top Gun, etc). I didn't have that much with me, and it seemed a bit high, so I just cherry picked this stuff. There was one of those holders for controllers/zapper & games, and it had a huge stack of manuals... mostly for SNES and N64. Unfortunately those systems/games weren't anywhere to be seen . Earlier in the week they had had their phone number on the ad (it was removed later), so I wonder if someone didn't make a deal on those ahead of time. I just can't bring myself to be 'that guy', though, so I lose on stuff like that now and again. I picked those manuals out and handed them to her and explained that they didn't go with this stuff... she seemed grateful, but she was so swamped it might have just been the lull right then and I was trying to be helpful.

Oh yeah, after we tallied up the stuff to 35, I asked how much for the PS2, and she said, "I don't even care anymore, 20 bucks". Mind you, it was only like 9.05am. Yeah, it was that crazy, I don't blame her for being frazzled. I'd forgotten to check the disc games for actual discs, but when I got home I was happy to find an 8MB memory card in the SW Legos case (and all discs accounted for and in nice+ shape)! Love little bonuses like that.

Probably the coolest thing I came away with is that Zelda Tips & Tactics book. I didn't think much of it at the time, bud hadn't seen it before. Pretty cool now that I flip through it, and looks like it is not real easy to find. Kind of funny, on the inside back cover is some art depicting Link loaded down with all his gear on his back: raft, ladder, bow/arrows, boomerang, shield, sword, bracelet, potion, bomb, wand, flute, key on a string around his neck, map book tucked in vest... am I missing anything? The funny part is he is standing upright like he's out for a casual stroll.

NES: SMB2 & 3, Dr. Mario, Tetris, Zelda x2, Zelda 2 (classic), DK 3, Mario Bros. Boxed advantage was $5
    PS1: Galaga, Dark Forces
    GC SW Rogue Squadron III and a CIB N64 Mem Exp Pak
    Fallout 1 & 2 were at a thrift on the way home. (just checked ebay: Holy Shnikeys, I didn't know CIB copies were so nuts. Don't think just a disc is too special unfortunately.

We also passed a church rummage sale on the way home and stopped. It was on its 3rd day, so I wasn't expecting to find anything. But then there was this SMS lot for 10 bucks. Didn't know the Gen games or card game were in there till I got home. Anyone need a PS1 Road Rash 3-D manual? Volume 5 Sampler?

SMS w/ 3 control sticks (1 busted), regular controller, phaser, games: F16 card, After Burner, Mono Poly, Gangster Town, Altered Beast, Great Baseball, Choplifter, Out Run, Great Basketball, Zaxxon 3-D, Rambo.
    Gen: Shadow of the Beast, WWF Royal Rumble
    Hunt for Red October was in the box too, they just threw some other stuff that wasn't selling in there I think.

How's that for a wall of text! Anyway, not a bad kickoff to the garage sale season.
    I've stopped hunting out yard sales of any kind. Around here it's used clothes and old books. IF I find video games it's PS2 sports games at $15 each.

Yeha, I know, not looking ruins the chance but when I do look it's never anything good.

Strawberry (Level 2) icarwngs55's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

HEY YOU ABOVE ME!!! Don't quote the entire picture!!! We don't need to see huge pics again...just the words if needed...

Thank you for understanding,
    Mike

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My mom is always on the lookout for games for me and she's a real yard sale nut.
    Today is one of the first times in almost a year she's found anything game related. Today was good.
    She found:
    Final Fantasy VII GH
    Resident Evil 2
    Tony Hawk Pro Skater
    Syphon Filter 2
    Tetris Plus GH
    Chessmaster 6000 (PC)

The guy selling said it was all buy 1 get 1 free.
    Everything added up to about $4 divided by 2.
    Not bad I'd say.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Decent day, I guess.

Commando (NES)- $1
    Goldeneye 007- $4
    Babe on LaserDisc-$8

I also got S-Video cables for my LaserDisc player. On the way out of the store, I noticed they had Batman: Mask of the Phantasm on LD.

I might go back and get it soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

SNES day today, more or less. Some good titles, though.

Bugs Bunny Rabbit Rampage
    Biker Mice From Mars
    Ranma 1/2 Hard Battle
    Jim Power The Lost Dimension in 3D
    Lufia & The Fortress Of Doom
    Head-On soccer
    Rock n' Roll Racing
    Vortex
    Wario's Woods

Also picked up a VERY nice King's Quest V for NES (not cheap, but worth the cash)

And, lastly, and ONLY because the disc is mint, The Sims Double Deluxe for PSX.

The store actually had a loose Earthbound, but I've got one already, so I passed. Aybody wants it, shoot a PM, but it won't be cheap (he knows what it's worth). I'd be happy to grab it for someone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    kefkalol

4 of these at 3 different game stops.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by icarwngs55 View Post
    HEY YOU ABOVE ME!!! Don't quote the entire picture!!! We don't need to see huge pics again...just the words if needed...
    This just made me wonder: Are my pics indeed huge? My display is the living room widescreen TV, so might be a different aspect ratio than other people, and I know it is annoying when stuff is so big you have to scroll right/left. This possibility hadn't occurred to me before, so just let me know and I can do a smaller picture size.

I know that's not the gist of your comment, just thought I'd ask.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    namzep
    Steam
    namzep

Cornelius, your stuff is a bit big on my monitor (though still not as bad as some people's). I always suggest limiting images to a max width of 800 (but make them clickable if the actual photo is larger) when posted on forums to avoid ticking others off.

Unfortunately, no finds today but I do have a huge lot of Famicom stuff that should come in early next week and then there will be pictures. Oh yes, there will be pictures.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

traded 2 yellowed snes consoles I got for $3 each recently for a MINT complete Shining Force CD.

I am happy with the trade

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    This just made me wonder: Are my pics indeed huge? My display is the living room widescreen TV, so might be a different aspect ratio than other people, and I know it is annoying when stuff is so big you have to scroll right/left. This possibility hadn't occurred to me before, so just let me know and I can do a smaller picture size.

I know that's not the gist of your comment, just thought I'd ask.
    Being someone who used to be anal and complain about large images (until the forum changed software and gave each post basically it's own standardized minimum horizontal width), I guess I'll chime in.

I run 1280 x 1024, but my browser is windowed - simply because that's just how I prefer to view stuff on the 'web - a holdover from the Netcom days if you would. If I expand the window to full screen the images are within the boundary. If I leave it windowed then they're just too large. Either way it's no big deal since it doesn't totally break the thread the way the old software used to (back when I would whine).

Now my girlfriend's laptop for instance, is pre-widescreen panel, so she runs a lower resolution than even I do. Honestly that drives me nuts. lol

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Saw a bunch of n64 stuff at goodwill today but left it all there. 10 dollar loose system, bunch of 3 dollar controllers, and some 3 dollar common games that I could live without. *shrugs*

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sales were alright:

My day started off with this. It's a Samsung "Syncmaster 170mp" 17 inch LCD screen, with A/V, computer, RF, and S-Video inputs(!). It's missing the adapter though >_<. It was $5 and I had to buy it at that price. The lady I bought it from told me that it works so fingers crossed.

This came from a charity "trade day" (whatever that was supposed to mean) garage sale sponsoring my school's PTSA. And you are not blind, that's an Xbox 360 on the left. It was $3 and I have no idea what to do with it. The Peter Gabriel, Haddaway (don't judge me >_>), Tears For Fears, Megaman 8, and Megaman Legends CDs were $0.50 each .

Closer look at my $3 Xbox. CD-drive's date says August 2006. It has no hard drive and it's missing the HDMI port. I think that this might be a core system. I don't even have the proper hookups for it so I have no idea whether it works. Chances are it doesn't, but you never know...
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Ryaan1234 View Post
    Haddaway (don't judge me >_>)

Thank god I'm no longer the only person in this forum that owns that CD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yesterday's thrift finds:

PlayStation:
    The Legend of Dragoon (sealed, GH) - $5
    The highlight of the day. The thrift I got this at usually keeps the console games in a locked display case. PC games can be found on a shelf in the electronics section, and it isn't uncommon to a see a PS1 game or two among them. That's where I found this.

Genesis:
    Skitchin' (boxed) - $2
    This was at the same thrift, and it was in the display case.

I also got a GBA game at GameStop:

Sega Arcade Gallery (cart only) - $2.99
    This compilation includes After Burner, OutRun, Space Harrier, and Super Hang-On.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by saferkefka View Post
    4 of these at 3 different game stops.
    Nice. Funny how it's NOW that people are realizing about it's uses besides internet connectivity! Mix it with the media for HDLoader/HDAdvance or Free McBoot and BAM!
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSpace View Post
    Yesterday's thrift finds:

PlayStation:
    The Legend of Dragoon (sealed, GH) - $5
    do you want to join the sealed legend of dragoon greatest hits club? because I also paid 5$ for a sealed legend of dragoon, only I got mine at wall mart

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

I'm OK with larger images, I like to see details if I can sometimes.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    namzep
    Steam
    namzep

Picked up Cube (PSP) from Walmart for $15 as it's always looked interesting and I now don't seem to be seeing it anywhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Picked up guide books & Road Avenger for $14 total at Thrift store

Not in images

- Bust a Groove PSX - $2

Other game picked up last week

Pretzel (Level 4) Goodwill Hunter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Some good deals at the Gamestop sale today:

360 Aerosmith GH $9.98 (wired guitar $0.01 ) x2
    360 Namco Museum Virtual Arcade $14.99
    PSP Silent Hill Origins $9.99
    PS2 Persona 3 FES $19.99

Although none of the Gamestops were aware of it, when you ring up the Aerosmith game and WIRED guitar controller, the game comes up at $9.98, and the X-plorer guitar (normally $39.99) comes up as $0.01. The stores I went to had these guitars (normally free with a wireless Aerosmith bundle) in the back, so you'll have to ask for them. Looking to trade the second Aerosmith game (sealed) for a used 360 Guitar Hero II in good condition. Lots of other good deals there...there is a list with prices on CheapAssGamer if you're interested.

Rich
    Last edited by Goodwill Hunter; 04-05-2009 at 02:43 PM.
    Tomorrow's Past is Yesterday's Future Today!