View Poll Results: Did you own a Nes during the 1980's?

Voters
128. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

97 75.78%
  • no

31 24.22%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Did you own a NES during the 1980's?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smile

I'd say if you were at least.... 6 before 89 then odds are yes you had one. Right? I mean you are here at DP for one reason or another. Nintendo being the giant that it was in the late 80's early 90's might have something to do with that. Also being way immature. Duhhhhh.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...........
    .................................................. .................................................. ............
    .................................................. .................................................. ...................................
    .................................................. .................................................. .....................
    .................................................. .................................................. ...........
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ....................
    .................................................. .................................................. ....................
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .........................................
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .....................
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .........
    I have officially used up all my sarcasm for the month.
    In yo face!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

I did i got it as a birthday present.Though i did ask for it i remember playing smb in the arcades and seeing you could,play it home did make it a easy choice for me.I also remember having to take it back it to the k&b toy store for a exchange.Since it was defective and i needed one that worked.Looking at it now i miss owning it since i sold it in the early 90's.Still that's why i started over again with a famicom+fds this time around.
    Last edited by Tron 2.0; 04-03-2009 at 02:39 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yep. My grandparents moved to my hometown (from out of state) after they retired in 1985, and one of the first things my grandfather did was buy the whole NES R.O.B. set so I could have an excuse to come over more often.

He's gone now, and I still think of that every time someone mentions the NES. I can list his game library from memory: Baseball, 10-Yard Fight, Excitebike, Golf, Pinball, Balloon Fight, Metroid, Gumshoe, Duck Hunt, Hogan's Alley, and Gyromite and Stack-Up for the R.O.B.

He eventually added Jackal, which was the only third-party game he ever bought (and he would've been about 70 at the time).

Last edited by GM80; 04-03-2009 at 03:45 AM.
    DP Buy/Sell feedback is here: GM80's Feedback Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yep I got mine on christmas of 85 as I was 7, loved Super Mario Brothers and got 2 other games with it but really can't remember it's been so long.

Proud owner of a PS3, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii, PSP and 3DS

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Christmas of 88 for me as well.
    That was a popular year wasn't it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra Commander View Post
    Christmas of 88 for me as well.
    That was a popular year wasn't it?
    Probably the last good true 8-bit year before we all knew what 16-bit was. 1989 was great for the NES, don't get me wrong, but news about the 16-bitters was everywhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Hybreed
    PSN
    Casualfever

I was born in 1990, so no. I remember playing it for the first time in 93 at a friends house, she still lives next to me and owns the console btw (we even go to the same school). NES was THE console I always wanted to have, and before I got my 1st console, which was either a GBC or a PS in 98 (my family is poor), I remember getting about 20 of those things which never either worked or never showed up properly with our old TV. That's why I had to pass a CIB NES in 97 which I could have gotten for 20mk, which is about 3 eur, because mom couldn't get the TV to show properly. I got the NES I have now last summer I think, just because I desperately just wanted to get the damn thing. Should buy a CIB set one of these days though.
    Dracula: The constant villain of the series. His usual tactics include breaking a number of wine glasses and transforming into his true form.

Cherry (Level 1) PresidentLeever's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No, but most of my friends had one. I had a Master system

Strawberry (Level 2) JunkTheMagicDragon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    shaftinator84

nope. got mine in 92 or 93, don't remember exactly. i was rocking my fleamarket 2600 before then. and my tandy coco.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Damaramu View Post
    No. Born in '76 and my parents refused to buy me one as I had an Atari 5200 that I "never played". I did play games on the NES at a friend's house however.
    Pretty funny - I can hear the conversation now... "but Mommmmmmmmmmmm, I CAN'T play it! The controllers don't even work!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't own a NES back then, but I did have a Atari, a Intellivision, and an Colecovision.
    "As you traitors roast in your own juices, I will be safely ensconced three miles below the earth's surface, listening to my wax-cylinder player and enjoying a delicious phosphate!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is fuzzy for me. I'm pretty sure I got mine Christmas of 1989. I had been playing it feverishly at a friend's house before that, though, and had beaten Super Mario Bros. and some other games. It's fuzzy because I want to say I got it Christmas of 1988 but I also remember getting Dragon Warrior with it, and that wasn't released until 1989. I'm off either on the year I got the thing or the year I got Dragon Warrior. But it was definitely still in the 80s. It was an Action Set and it wasn't strictly mine, it was for me and my brothers. We were very poor at the time so it must have been a significant expense for my parents, but they knew we really wanted one.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I got one in 87 as a birthday present from my highschool girlfriend's family. They threw me a great party.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

You know, I was sure I did, but trying to think about it I'm not so sure any more. We were one of the last of my friends to get one. My second game I ever got (The Legend of Zelda) was on my birthday in 92 so it more than likely was the early 90's.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by otaku View Post
    I wasn't born till 88 and actually still have not owned an NES though I've played many many hours worth of the console and its games. Been meaning to buy one of course. Collecting sounds fun
    I was born in 88 AND I had an NES in the 80s; I think it may have technically been my dad's, but I hogged it all the time all the way until the release of the SNES. I could quote the game genie code for SMB1's infinite lives (SXIOPO) before I even knew that letters made words. It was really scary when I entered it from memory 15 years later without remembering, until the instant the Game Genie screen flashed up, that I had ever known the code.

I'm almost certain that I played Mario before I could even talk.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Received one for my 7th birthday in 1987.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got one in 87 or 88. I was 9 or 10, and I hooked it up to my 9" black and white hand me down tv. It was the best thing ever.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got for Christmas the year they bundled the Power Pad with it ( I think it was 1988, I was ten). We also got Tiger Helli and R.C. Pro Am. It was my favorite Chrismas ever.
    YouTube: MasonSushi---- http://www.youtube.com/user/masonsushi
    NintendoAge: MasonSushi
    Licensed NES- Complete....32X Complete
    N64- Complete....Master System (CIB)- 8 left
    TG-16 Hu - Complete

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Got a Deluxe Set for Christmas in 1985.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

is neither blue nor fast thom_m's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I only got my first original NES last year. I did have a famiclone but, IIRC, we were already on the 90's when I got it. I guess a famiclone wouldn't count on this poll, anyway.
    Blowing on cartridges since 1987