Thread: Nuby Street Fighter 2 controllers

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Nuby Street Fighter 2 controllers

I found a PS2 version Nuby SF2 controller for $5 today. I don't own a PS2 but I do have a USB adaptor for PC, and figured it'd be good for emulating Sega systems. The buttons are responsive, the d-pad is excellent.

So I have to wonder... why is the Xbox verison of this same controlelr so broken? I bought one off Amazon for $14 shipped. Buttons are only okay, the d-pad is awful, a bit under-sentitive and seems to have a minor delay.

Basically, while I found Megaman ROMs very playable on PC with the PS2 controller, using the Xbox pad with MM Anniversary Collection was an awful chore.

They seem to have the same d-pad but while my PS2 controller has a smooth d-pad, the Xbox version creaks like mad. In fact, they almost seem to be the same controller- same size, almost identical cases and buttons. I have to wonder if there was a factory switch, or if they simply couldn't optimize this thing to work with Xbox hardware. The PS2 version has the PS logo on it and is licensed by Sony, but the Xbox version seems to lack any sort of MS branding.
    Last edited by Diosoth; 04-03-2009 at 07:57 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's no good reason why the controllers wouldn't be the same, so I imagine it's something stupid like the xbox pads using an earlier flawed design or inferior parts.

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

I have one of the PS2 ones and I found it to be an unusable mess, so maybe there are different production runs or it's just up to luck or something.

I thought it was too thick, mushy buttons, the paint comes off way too easy, etc.

These are the ones with the tile-picture of SF characters in the middle, right?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
    I have one of the PS2 ones and I found it to be an unusable mess, so maybe there are different production runs or it's just up to luck or something.

I thought it was too thick, mushy buttons, the paint comes off way too easy, etc.

These are the ones with the tile-picture of SF characters in the middle, right?
    Same ones. If there are unreliable PS2 versions, it supports the idea of a new factory making them. SOME PS2 pads had to have been made then, they were the more popular version.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

God. Funny this topic was made. I have the Akuma one, and my brother and I decided to play Capcom vs. SNK 2. I remember when I bought the controller and I didn't like it. However, after using the SFIV Fightpads, I needed to use a controller with the 6 button interface.

That D-pad is AWFUL. Seems like there's way too much friction when imputting in motions. The only thing it was good for was doing Akuma's Super that was two half circles backwards. Since it was so small, it was easy to do. However, that D-pad was awful for everything else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've had the same experience. I used to have the Xbox version and it was almost impossible to do any special moves on the dpad. It was even worse than Microsoft's controllers.

I have the PS2 version and the dpad is a lot better and all my moves come out, despite some people claiming they are both exactly the same. After getting a PS2 Sega Saturn pad though, I don't use it anymore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

I wish those PS2 Sega Saturn pads were still easy to find. Seems like no one sells it anymore online.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought 4 of them recently on ebay (the PS2 Saturn pads); 2 loose and 2 NIB. There are still 3 on ebay right now.