Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this a real factory sealed saturn game or a reseal?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bryan55

Default Is this a real factory sealed saturn game or a reseal?

I bought a factory sealed Panzer Dragoon Saga on eBay, but I feel the game was resealed. This is my first Factory Sealed Saturn game, so I am not sure how I can tell if it's legit or not.

What I found suspicious, is that I didn't win the auction, the seller sent me a second chance offer because the original winner did not pay in the time allowed (48 hours). At that price (321.55$), it's seems strange to me that the selller was willing to accept the second chance offer if the game was really factory sealed...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=170321710971

So, does it seems legit to you?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Reseal or not, he stated that there were no tears in the shrink wrap. I guess that doesn't cover the hole in the shrink wrap on the back. It doesn't show up really well in his picture, (go figure), but it shows up great in yours. That alone would be enough to sour me on the deal.

JY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bryan55

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Yakapucci View Post
    Reseal or not, he stated that there were no tears in the shrink wrap. I guess that doesn't cover the hole in the shrink wrap on the back. It doesn't show up really well in his picture, (go figure), but it shows up great in yours. That alone would be enough to sour me on the deal.

JY
    Yes, I know, that was a little frustrating because it's clearly stated that there's no holes. I'm gonna accept it if it's a real factory sealed game though...

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You should let some other collectors confirm its sealed or not. My gut and eyes tell me its fake, but i don't collect for that system. So ignore those last words if im wrong.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bryan55

Quote Originally Posted by bcks007 View Post
    You should let some other collectors confirm its sealed or not. My gut and eyes tell me its fake, but i don't collect for that system. So ignore those last words if im wrong.....
    I feel the same, I am more a NES, SNES & Genesis guy, I don't know much about sealed Saturn games. Anyway, from the beginning I feel there's something wrong but I took a chance. Like I said, just the fact that he is willing to let it go as a second chance offer for 322$ is strange. For me, if it was a real PDS factory sealed, I would be more than happy if the winner didn't buy it at 360$ and would not offer a second chance. I would relist the item with good pictures proving it IS factory sealed and sell it (hoping) for a lot more.

If it's factory sealed, then I will accept the hole in the shrink wrap and be very happy with the game!
    Last edited by BrYaN55; 04-23-2009 at 10:16 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is it just me or does it look like there is dirt in the grooves of the gray bar running down the left front side? Not saying there is but it looks like it from the picture.

I would look for nuances and wear like that inside the shrink wrapping as an indicator. Also, didn't the saturn games have a hang tab? In addition i have never seen an actual saturn game sealed with the seem running like that all around the sides.

Also, as a sealed game collector i would be a bit concerned with the hole in the shrink wrapping. Obviously the main reason to purchase a sealed game is value. That hole is only going to get bigger over time.
    Last edited by tkusina; 04-23-2009 at 11:13 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just compared it with my sealed Saturn game and it looks completely different to the above. Mine has the seals folded over (much like how you see most new games sealed these days) with no bits sticking out.

Of course mine may be fake, so other opinions may be needed.

Strawberry (Level 2) Pezcore343's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pezcore343

I have one sealed Saturn game and the shrink wrap looks similar but it does have a hang tab. Then again mine was from amazon and I wasn't too concerned if it was new, so it might be a fake.

ooooOOOOHHH RUSTY!!! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FxMercenary
    PSN
    Gronkus

The best way to tell if it is a re-seal is to look at the black plastic portion on the front. If there is any dirt or dust in the grooves of the black plastic strip, it is a re-seal.

Also check the wording in the auction, does it say never opened? or just sealed?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bryan55

Quote Originally Posted by tkusina View Post
    Is it just me or does it look like there is dirt in the grooves of the gray bar running down the left front side? Not saying there is but it looks like it from the picture.

I would look for nuances and wear like that inside the shrink wrapping as an indicator. Also, didn't the saturn games have a hang tab?

Also, as a sealed game collector i would be a bit concerned with the hole in the shrink wrapping. Obviously the main reason to purchase a sealed game is value. That hole is only going to get bigger over time.
    Here's an email from the guy before I bought the game:

Dear bryan-55,

hi,
    Its factory sealed not resealed..This game goes for about 225 in mint condition so I would not risk my reputation for another 100 bucks believe me..Im going to send you the second chance offer because the winner needs 3 days to pay he says and I am not willing to wait as my ad stated. Especially since he has 2 negatives in his feedback for non payment..sending to you now and ill ship today.thanks..Howard

- factorysealedvideogames

Upon your message, I checked the game again... At first, I thought that the dust was over the shrink wrap, but I found that a small grain is in fact under the shrink wrap...

A friend of mine sent me pictures of a sealed Saturn game he has, here's how it look. That feel more like the real thing to me...

Last edited by BrYaN55; 04-23-2009 at 11:24 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah it looks like you got a reseal for sure. The seem not being down the back middle is the biggest giveaway.

I would email this guy and demand my money back. You have alot of proof this is a reseal. If you have problems with him you can file a claim with Ebay. Just be ready to show so proof to back up your claim.

Here is Ebay's description of new: Brand New - Item has never been opened or removed from the manufacturer’s sealing. Item must be in original shrink wrap.

Good Luck.
    Last edited by tkusina; 04-23-2009 at 12:46 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bryan55

Well, I have sent an email to the seller. If some expert can second that it's resealed, don't hesitate

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bryan55

Here's the answer from the seller:

Dear bryan-55,

Brian,
    I have never seen a Saturn game with a vertical seam. Nintendo factories used those. (nes,snes,n64,gba,gbc,ect).I wont be online tonight but like I said we can send this to the VGA for grading and authentication if you would like..take care..Howard

Dear bryan-55,

Hey Brian,
    Your game is new..The hang tag does not mean anything. Some factories put them on and some retail stores themselves added them. I once got a negative feedback under another account from a game collector because a game I sent him had a hangtag...Lets send your game to the VGA to get it graded so you will see...

Some I hope someone who knows about Factory Sealed Saturn games can give us his advice
    Last edited by BrYaN55; 04-23-2009 at 03:22 PM.

Objection! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This makes me wonder about the Earthworm Jim Special Edition for the Sega CD that's been sitting at a local shop sealed and reasonably priced for a few years... I had picked up one for trade, and the person I sent it to had no complaints (other than the disc coming loose in shipping - apparently "fragile" means "use as a football" when run through Babelfish). But I still wonder.
    Serving the retrogaming community since March 2005

DP feedback: +47(!), no negatives
    can be found here: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66092

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just looked at my PDS which is unopened and there is no seam down the spine. Also, the shrinkwrap going down the back is similar to the picture posted of Magic Knight Rayearth. Mine also has the hang tag. I bought mine from Toys R Us when they were cleaning out their Saturn inventory.
    When there's no more room in HELL the dead will walk the EARTH.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yeah, that is a rather poor reseal. The dirt in the grooves on the front side, the hole in the back, and the heat strip melted sides. I resealed games back in the early 90's (I worked for Electronics Boutique and this was normal procedure for returned games) and if you were in a hurry it would look like that.
    -
    Pete Rittwage
    C64 Preservation Project
    http://c64preservation.com

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BrYaN55 View Post
    Here's the answer from the seller:

Dear bryan-55,

Brian,
    I have never seen a Saturn game with a vertical seam. Nintendo factories used those. (nes,snes,n64,gba,gbc,ect).I wont be online tonight but like I said we can send this to the VGA for grading and authentication if you would like..take care..Howard

Dear bryan-55,

Hey Brian,
    Your game is new..The hang tag does not mean anything. Some factories put them on and some retail stores themselves added them. I once got a negative feedback under another account from a game collector because a game I sent him had a hangtag...Lets send your game to the VGA to get it graded so you will see...

Some I hope someone who knows about Factory Sealed Saturn games can give us his advice
    BULLSHIT. Those VGA guys are bullshit. Every single sealed saturn game i own has a hangtag. the hangtag can be opened up to hang up or left closed to stack. Dont waste your time sending the game to VGA its a waste of money

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just looked at a copy of NHL 97 for the Saturn, which is sealed. It does not have a hang tag or a seam down the back. I guess it could have been resealed, but I think I bought if for $0.99 so somebody was wasting their time if they did reseal it.
    Rarest games in collection: (R8) Chavez II for SNES / (R7) Star Gunner (Telesys) for Atari 2600
    Game Collection -- Game Commercials -- Favorite Game: Secret of Mana
    Wii code: 2572 7867 9177 9866 Smash: 0259-0110-4026

Insert Coin (Level 0) gumbyandpals's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I purchased sealed panzer dragoon saga quite a few years back. I got it off of ebay, but I am nearly 100% positive it was not a reseal. The case looked brand new, no dirt in the grooves, "new" smell, and this game had several advertising inserts that came with it (dead giveaway if you open it and they're not there). Mine had a hang tag exactly like the one pictured for magic knight rayearth.

Yeah, I opened it. The value plummeted about 100 bucks but I get more satisfaction out of it if I can open a rare game for the first time and then just keep it in mint condition after that. I don't believe in keeping games sealed.

Anyway, if you feel like opening it, look for the inserts. If you don't want to open it, try to peek in on the top and bottom for extra paper besides the manual.
    Last edited by gumbyandpals; 04-24-2009 at 08:17 PM.
    My Feedback: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117973

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Response

I might as well post direct here since my emails wind up here anyway. I would like to know what dirt under the shrinkwrap has to do with a game being new or not. I have had snes games with vertical seams that were in such bad condition under the shrinkwrap that I could not even sell them. I had a factory sealed Mario Kart original release that I had to open and sell cart only becasue the box was so bad. Many games have factory vent holes, shrinkwrap small imperfections or tears and over years moisture, dirt, ect work there way through the holes onto the box. I have seen mold on factory sealed games. Many of these old games have been in boxes and if the temperature is too high where the games are stored (usually in attics or basements) so the wear occurs. You have to store the games properly to avoid this and when you are buying from stores closing down you will not find the games given the proper care as if you were buying from a game collector. Also, in my experience a resealer changes the case on the saturn games before resealing them. Why reseal a dirty case when for like a dollar you can seal a replacement case? There is no artwork on the back of the case so who would know? Why reseal a dirty case? Makes no sense at all to me sorry. Explain to me please. Also to the VGA is bullshit guy, why is it bullshit? I know they are expensive but are you saying they can not verify if a game is new or not?