Thread: Classic Sega IPs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

Default Classic Sega IPs

"An Intellectual Property. Basically what it means is that it is a new series, one that is new and without sequels."

Sega had a lot of them. Let's talk about what they should do in order to rekindle the love.

Sonic The Hedgehog - Go back to it's roots. Make it fun and exhilarating, not clunky and boring.

Phantasy Star - Ditch the online aspect. It was great but this series needs to become an actual RPG again.

Shadow Dancer - Joe Musashi and his dog needs to make a comeback. This was a great gameplay mechanic that would be well suited for modern gaming.

Chakan - Just make a sequel already. I know one was in development, but seriously, this was a once great character. His dark edge would go over well today.

Toejam & Earl - In my opinion, two of Sega's most iconic characters, the Xbox sequel was subpar. Put this duo on the DS with great multiplayer similar to the first game.

Space Harrier - Fast paced fantasy action. It doesn't exist these days, and a new entry into this series done right would be refreshing in an otherwise stale age of gaming.

Kid Chameleon - A clever idea that never received the sequel treatment. The possibilities seem endless, what with the costume and ability morphing. I could envision a fun platformer ala' Banjo Kazooie.

Altered Beast - Come on Sega! You tried to revive this one but failed miserably. It's so inventive and edgy. I say remake it for the 360 marketplace with extra levels and characters.

Nights - A beautiful game that to me was everything Sega was about. We need a real sequel, not a mediocre game destined to become a bargain bin flunky.

Streets Of Rage - One of the best properties the company had going for them... the beat 'em up may be out of style, but this series needs a comeback.

Clockwork Knight - To me, this was right up there in terms of imagination with Nights. A sequel or port should find it's way to the DS.

Golden Axe - Give it a level up system but keep the same gameplay mechanics. If Castle Crashers can do it, certainly the original medieval brawler can.

Alex Kidd - The days of the cartoon platformer are pretty much over, but Alex Kidd had a lot of personality and originality. I say make a new game with anime cut scenes and the kids will love it.

There's been a lot of injustice in the world of Sega lately. I'm interested in anything you guys would like to add to this list or comment on. What are some of your favorites? Whatever happened to "Now there are no limits."?
    Last edited by ShinobiMan; 04-23-2009 at 10:28 AM.

Level 10 Manly Pink Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pirate OTK
    PSN
    theguywithus

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMan View Post
    Phantasy Star - Ditch the online aspect. It was great but this series needs to become an actual RPG again.
    No arguments there. Still I like the online feature... but making it a main one isn't the best idea. At least in my opinion.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    CROM JR

actually going down that list sega failed horribly on remaking some of them recently (ie. golden axe & nights)

I say let them sell some of those IP's so that a decent company can make them fun, because obviously sega doesnt know what the hell they are doing anymore...

sell phantasy star to activision and streets of rage to rockstar... everyone wins, sega gets there money (as it seems thats all they care about trying to make games from hulk and ironman) and good game companies make the good games...

is neither blue nor fast thom_m's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Now that you mentioned it, I really hope they do NOT decide to revive my beloved Kid Chameleon. From all I heard about today's Sega (never really have much contact with their post-genesis games), it would be said to see them ruining that one. I don't think there's that much room for imrpovement, anyway, but I'm a fanboy, so it doesn't count.
    Blowing on cartridges since 1987

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A real Phantasy Star... no online, nothing, just a straight RPG. The single player mode in Universe was at least a nice attempt, but very obviously a secondary concern. Give me a turn-based, challenging-as-a-hell RPG with androids, WITHOUT hordes of newmans (how do you explain a whole race of those, anyway?) and all the great bizarre magic names. Please. And selling it to Activision would be a horrible idea... How about Square-Enix, who could have Tri-Ace (valkyrie profile people) or Jupiter (World Ends with You) make it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love me some ToeJam & Earl, but the problem seems to be that the IP actually belongs to the creators at ToeJam & Earl Productions, Inc. despite having been exclusively published by Sega over the years ... or something like that.

Although the original and the sequel have hit the Wii's Virtual Console, they're not on XBLA, nor is the latest game (which I enjoyed far more than the second) backwards compatible with the 360.

I'd like to see something, that's for sure, but I also understand that the whole "funk duo" motif doesn't necessarily translate well out of the '90s.
    DP Buy/Sell feedback is here: GM80's Feedback Thread

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FantasiaWHT View Post
    And selling it to Activision would be a horrible idea... How about Square-Enix, who could have Tri-Ace (valkyrie profile people) or Jupiter (World Ends with You) make it?
    Since Square Enix is known for their RPG titles then that''s what most people would end up saying. I don't think it'd be such a bad idea, but Square-Enix has owned the Ogre Battle series for some time now and we haven't seen another Ogre Battle title. Just like Ogre Battle, I doubt they'd do anything with the Phantasy Star series even if they owned it. If only Square-Enix would ask Yasumi Matsuno to be the executive producer and writer of another Tactics Ogre title, the world would be a better place(I'd rather see another Ogre Battle than a Phantasy Star, but it'll never happen.)

Personally, I'd end up saying Media Vision would be the perfect company to sell the series to. This developer is mainly known for the Wild ARMs series as they really haven't created much else. Every game in the Wild ARMs series expands on the previous one by adding unique elements of gameplay, so with each different title they do try new things(so they're all unique to one another which I think makes every other title just as good as the next.) I didn't like WA Alter Code F as it felt like a watered down version of both the original and WA3 mixed together but really wasn't a bad game. WA4 and 5 stayed as regular RPG titles but used more strategy/tactical type batles, and then Wild ARMs XF is completely strategy based with the most indepth customization in any game of that type in my opinion(one of my favorite PSP games.)

I'd advise against giving the Phantasy Star IP to Capcom. This is only because I'm a huge fan of the Breath of Fire series and Capcom still hasn't made another one. I'd rather see another Breath of Fire game than a Phantasy Star game. The Breath of Fire series has yet to have a bad game, though the original title is definitely the worst of them.

Then finally. I'd advise against giving the series to Nippon Ichi Software. I'd rather the series go to any company than this one. Every game that NIS has developed other than "Prinny: Can I Really Be the Hero" has been crap. Rhapsody, La Pucelle, Disgaea, etc. It's as this company has no idea what makes a good game and they release the same rehashed battle system repeatedly with new alterations(such as Phantom Brave with it's circular system.) Same thing with games from Idea Factory or Gust, games that happen to play just like every other game they create and really not that fun.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 04-23-2009 at 02:49 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A new Last Bronx or Mystic Defender would make me very happy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When I think of Sonic IPs I think alot about Segas Arcade/Saturn ports.

Virtua Fighters, Sega Rally, House of the Dead, Touring Car, Last Bronx and so on.

Of course Sonic is Sega!

Panzer Dragoon and Shenmue are two fantastic series.

Nights was also dead on. Its a game that makes you feel like a kid. I have stayed away from the sequal.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What on earth makes you think sega has the talent or cash to make good games these days?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    What on earth makes you think sega has the talent or cash to make good games these days?
    I don't. This thread is more akin to fantasy baseball.

Just wanted to add another one:

Astal. I'm pretty sure Sega made this one for the Saturn. Fantastic game that I always fit deserved a sequel.
    Last edited by ShinobiMan; 04-25-2009 at 01:49 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) eday_2010's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The days of the cartoon platformer are pretty much over,
    Have you not picked up a DS lately, or paid attention to the games on that system? "Cartoon" platformers are thriving.

Whatever happened to "Now there are no limits."?
    That slogan died with the 80's. And Sega as we knew it back then is also dead. Now it's a run-of-the-mill, subpar publishers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sonic The Hedgehog - Model it after Sonic Adventure 1 game play wise. Put a lot of effort into art direction, and level design. Make the stages fast, and fun. Then to improve upon Sonic Adventure, tighten up the free-roaming aspect, make it more fun, bigger, and easier to navigate. Invest some real time into a solid story, and some decent voice actors.

Phantasy Star - I wouldn't necessarily ditch the online aspect, maybe make a straight forward RPG with online missions, and modes available after you've completed the game.

Toejam & Earl - A hard title to relaunch, I guess make something similar to the XBOX version with better writing, and less monotony.

Kid Chameleon - I would love to see this as a platform game for the 360. Maybe give it an animated/cel shaded style. Go really over the top with the power-ups

Nights - The key to a Nights sequel is creative level design, improved graphics, and a functional(and fun) multiplayer mode.

Streets Of Rage - I agree, give it to Rockstar.

Clockwork Knight - This would make a great XBOX Live game.

Golden Axe - Basically copy Guardian Heroes

Jet Grind Radio - Just make another game like the DC version. You could probably have fun with the spray controls if you put it on Wii.
    The Monarch: Hey, guess what? Nobody cares who would win in a crazy fantasy fist-fight between Anne Frank and Lizzie Borden. We never should have brought the henchmen. We're going to be the only ones there with henchmen!
    Feedback Thread: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47835

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are a bunch of good ones.

Many arcade games rocking hardcore and some not so arcadey

House of the Dead
    Panzer Dragoon
    Virtua Tennis
    SHENMUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, Sorry I did not quote it, but you know who you are. It was said best by you, but "Sonic is Sega" is a brilliant line. So good to where I am pretty confident I am putting it in my sig.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd be happy to see Chakan again. Of course Streets of Rage, Clockwork, and Nights are some of my favorites, but I've yet to see a game as "cool" as Chakan. The gameplay was deep, the controls were excellent, and the character and level designs were spectacular. Man, I miss that game...
    Your ad here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The problem is, most of these games are of genres that are long out of favor. Like Streets of Rage -- beat 'em ups haven't been popular for a long time, and most attempts at the genre for the past 10 years have either been less than good (Final Fight Streetwise), or decent but extremely poor-selling (Dynamite Cop). Platformers have pretty much fallen by the wayside as well, except for a few big names. In general, arcade-style games these days don't seem to be able to get any sort of positive reception in the West. People expect every game to be at least 15 hours long and it needs to have some sort of tacked-on adventure or RPG elements, or else it's deemed unworthy. Not an ideal climate for revivals of relatively short, simple action games (regardless of how great they are).

Plus, Sega no longer really has any American development, so something like Kid Chameleon or Eternal Champions is pretty much out of the question.

As for a new Phantasy Star, I don't think there's a conceivably good plot justification for another game set in Algo, after the events of 1, 2, and 4. Although I guess there's nothing stopping them from making a side-game with more traditional, turn-based gameplay. And I'd say that's one game that Sega shouldn't farm out -- 7th Dragon looks great and is evident of their capability.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

I always thought Bug! was a series on the Saturn that had a lot of potential. The first one was lots of fun, although extremely challenging at times.

Ah, I remember the Saturn's launch like it was yesterday. Bug!, Clockwork Knight, Panzer Dragoon and of course Virtua Fighter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I want to see some late 70s/early 80s Sega stuff on PS3, like in the format of Namco Museum series.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

Shenmue 3, simple as.

In (I was about to say 'slightly more realistic' then realised my mistake) we also have...

Sonic- formula for success is simple- go down the SSF2THD road. Polish up the original games, but add in extras. No one minds that levels take ~90 seconds to clear. That's the whole point of a Sonic game.

The idea of a Streets of Rage GTA-style game appeals to me greatly. Like Crackdown only more grungy and with awesome characters.

For 'Alex Kidd' I'm thinking along the lines of 'Kameo', even though the game wasn't particularly good it had definite potential.

I'm sure I'm missing a few. Hell, I'm sure we're all missing a few franchises from here. Trouble is, so are Sega...

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    Valkyria Chronicles and the Yakuza games are fantastic.