Thread: UFC 2009 Undisputed (Out Now!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Default UFC 2009 Undisputed (Out Now!)

Anyone else check out the demo that was released yesterday? I know there's a handful of fellow UFC fans on here and as we all know the past attempts have been horrible, I'm happy to say that this new one actually seems to be worth it. The demo only lets you play as Liddell and Shogun (which makes one wonder why it wasn't released last Thursday), so of course I got some revenge for Chuck and knocked Shogun around a few good times.

The character models are outstanding, I was floored when I first saw Shogun and the amount of detail in him was incredible, it almost felt like I was watching Saturday's fight only with much different results. The controls are very fluid and the rounds will actually go the entire round, unlike the others where it was a contest on who can press two buttons together to cause an arm bar and end the round within 20 seconds.

The tutorial shows just how deep the controls can be, I took a look at it after playing a few rounds and was pleasantly surprised on how much depth they put into it. I didn't try all of them out since it was late and it started to be too much for me, but it looks like they have some major UFC fans working on the game and they took designing this game very seriously. It's going to be interesting to see how well they work when using a more complicated fighter.

I was kind of on the fence about this, since it could have gone either way, but now I'll be picked this up as soon as it its the shelves next month.
    Last edited by exit; 05-20-2009 at 10:35 AM.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[QUOTE=exit;1546793]

The tutorial shows just how deep the controls can be, I took a look at it after playing a few rounds and was pleasantly surprised on how much depth they put into it. I didn't try all of them out since it was late and it started to be too much for me, but it looks like they have some major UFC fans working on the game and they took designing this game very seriously. It's going to be interesting to see how well they work when using a more complicated fighter.
    QUOTE]

Thx for the heads up.

My luck I will try for a submission and get it reversed 89 times before I learn how to use a multifaceted control system. Then again that happens in many other games anyway, so why not this one too?
    With a humble heart, on bended knee...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't know this was on live yet but I'll have to check it out and get back to you.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Just played a couple dozen rounds with a buddy of mine and I can already tell it's going to be one of the best fighting games for this generation. It's going to require a certain amount of on the fly strategy, second guessing and mind games to win a fight, especially when you go up against a more technical fighter. There were a bunch of times where I walked right into a take down and I knew it was coming, yet I took the chance anyway. It really is a very tense game and feels like you're apart of the fight, at times I was yelling at Chuck to get up like I was one of his coaches standing in his corner and had a brief feeling of relief when he finally did get out of the take down.

I say just play the computer to get a feel for the game, try out the tutorial, play with a second person and go have yourself some fun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

I've played through the demo at least 2 dozen times and I can't wait for this game now. It really captures the UFC experience.

My best moment was knocking out Chuck in 23 seconds with an elbow. I actually wasn't even watching the screen because my cat was biting my foot and when I looked up it was over.

Beyond that I've had a couple of nice knockouts as Chuck.

I can't wait for this game now and I might have to book a day or two off work for this one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    EMC2INTOSH

Ive had the demo since Monday and have been playing it heavy. Its alot of fun. Only thing is I could never pull off a submission no matter how many times I tried. I even tried the easiest difficulty setting and still couldnt. Anyone else have better luck?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

Quote Originally Posted by jedimind7 View Post
    Ive had the demo since Monday and have been playing it heavy. Its alot of fun. Only thing is I could never pull off a submission no matter how many times I tried. I even tried the easiest difficulty setting and still couldnt. Anyone else have better luck?
    I tried 5 times this morning and I couldn't get a submission either. I tried doing leg kicks to Chuck for the whole first round but he still got out of my leg lock right away. I'd love some tips too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just played the demo for the first time and it was ok. The controls aren't as responsive as I'd like and the submission attempt procedure needs to be tweaked some before the full release. I'll give it another go in alittle bit.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Really impressed with this as a whole. My only complaint is the above submission problem (though at at least it's not as easy as it was on the Dreamcast), and the analog control on the ground. The difference between a small move attempt and a big one is a problem. The analog controls don't allow for such precision.

But yes, outstanding game. The presentation is amazing too. Shot for shot, it matches the PPVs perfectly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only UFC game I ever enjoyed was for Dreamcast, but I'll check this out anyway.

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    GameOverRG

I just played it and I wont be buying this unless I find it for less than $20 .

Looks really good though . Hit detection was crappy and I was doing head kicks and knockin ol chuckles out and the kicks were landing right at the peak of his skull or some times didnt connect at all but I was still out.Could be different in the final version . He also managed to blind side me with a elbow that looks like it barely grazed my face but yet I was out cold. Felt alot like any old button mashing wrestlin game to me. meh.........

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just finished playing the demo several more times. I kept trying in vain to use a submission on Chuck but everytime I got side control my guy wouldn't perform the submissions. I managed to knock him out by both standing punches and ground and pound. My highlight was knocking Chuck out in 7 seconds.....with a left hook. I was just trying to create some space to set him up for a takedown and next thing I know he's knocked out cold.

The fighting system in this game is super deep. It's going to take a long while to master everything but once you do it should make for some very fun matches.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

glad to know I wasn't the only one having difficulty getting submissions to work.

also had trouble clinching.

This game is definitely on my buy list.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

I'm still trying and I haven't even come close to a submission, I'm wondering if it's broken in the demo.

On the fastest KO front I knocked chuck out in 9 seconds with a kick to the head.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jcalder8 View Post
    I'm still trying and I haven't even come close to a submission, I'm wondering if it's broken in the demo.
    Thats a strong possibility. In the tutorial where it tells you to hit RSB to pull off a submission, my guy just puts up his hands to defend.

Quote Originally Posted by jcalder8
    On the fastest KO front I knocked chuck out in 9 seconds with a kick to the head.
    I still got you beat by two seconds. 7 seconds in the first round with a left hook. I'm guessing the only reason this happened was because I wasn't actually trying to knock him out. I was setting him up for a takedown so that I coud try to submit him once more.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    Thats a strong possibility. In the tutorial where it tells you to hit RSB to pull off a submission, my guy just puts up his hands to defend.
    My friend got me in a submission once or twice using Shogun and made me tap out. I would get close to a submission with Chuck and he'd end up getting out of it, so I guess it can be a flip of a coin sometimes.

I've been having problems with getting off the ground with Chuck, every time it looks like I'm just about to get out of it, I either end up grabbing Shogun's head or Shogun gets right ontop of me and starts pounding on my head. Either I'm not doing something right (which is more than likely) or it's something that is slightly broken.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    EMC2INTOSH

It could be because your Shogun. Granted he is a black belt and does have good ju jitsu but hes more known for his strikes. Or maybe Chucks sub defense is that damn good. Perhaps if your Mir or Nogueira it'll be easier?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    CROM JR

I cant stop playing it...

I am completely happy with the controlls, I was worried... it was hard, but its really good...

My bro spend a while learning his ground game, so when I went over to his place to play him he was man handling me on the ground, getting full mount, and submitting me left right and centre untill I said thats it!!!

you cant just play this game like fight night and go balls to the wall, you actually have to think and be cautious just like real MMA.... this game is going to awesome!...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The models, sounds effects, and stand up are really fluid. The ability to get the thai clinch and standing over/under hooks are also done nicely. The takedowns and ground transitions were also nicely done.

Seems like some subs are missing though, no head and arm chokes, or keylocks? Or ankle/heel attempts from the top/bottom?

Also, what is the deal with the immediate reversals, am i missing something, I shouldn't end up on my back everytime a kimura from half guard doesnt work.

Anyone figure out how to take your opponents back. The computer will never give up its back even when getting pounded on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default UFC 2009 Undisputed Demo

Above average presentation, nice character models, cool replays and most of all each fighter has their own fighting style. You can tell by how much harder it is to beat Chuck Liddell as Shogun Rua.

Chuck has much harder hits and a couple of key blows that will knock your ass out, but with Rua you have a bit longer legs and faster jabbing by a tad and knee kicks, etc. The computer is a push over in the demo, 2 player is where you can really flesh out the moves and learn the subtleties.

They have really thought out things like how far one character has reach and power balance. There are some key moves that can and will knock out a player and sometimes a cheap blow, but if you are fighting right this rarely happens. You really have to fight in this game and I get the feeling of a real fight which i'm sure is what they strived for. This is my favorite fighting game in ages!

Most of all the grappling isn't overdone as much as it has been in past UFC games.