Thread: Best Controller for PC Emulation (mostly NES)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Best Controller for PC Emulation (mostly NES)

I have been playing my NES emulator on my laptop lately and the controller I have is over 10 years old and very uncomfortable.

I was wondering what controller you would recommend for mostly NES emulation.

I don't really want to spend more than $10-$15 if possible.

Thanks

Insert Coin (Level 0) davegt666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I use a Logitech Precision and its good for nes games, very good for snes games, and decent for genesis games. I got mine in the bargain bin at target for like 5 bucks. Really cheap but its a good controller.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://cgi.ebay.com/NES-Famicom-PC-U...3%3A1|294%3A50

I'm fond of these.. the originals are Sanwa IIRC, also distrubuted by Buffalo. I love playing Neo Geo ROMs with one of these. Theres another red model that has just A/B/C/D in the same shell that works good too.

It's more than you want to spend, but it's a good solution for all emulation if you like the NES controller design.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

Insert Coin (Level 0) 123►Genei-Jin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Saturn USB pads are just as good as the original ones and cheap:

White version

Black version

Gray version

Insert Coin (Level 0) Davedeadly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Darkwing26
    PSN
    Davedeadly29

Worse comes to worse, get a wired Xbox360 controller

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Radio Shack should still sell their Playstation USB adaptors. It technically supports the rumble feature but it depends on the game supporting it. A standard PS1/PS2 controller will work for SNEs, SNES, etc. I also have a Nuby Street Fighter 2 PS2 controlelr which I use for the Sega stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

RetroUSB NES controller. They took real NES controllers and modded them to have a USB plug.

It, of course, is the best controller for NES emulation!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

You guys obviously missed this:

Quote Originally Posted by sav127 View Post
    I don't really want to spend more than $10-$15 if possible.
    Anyway, I'm not terrible fussy about my PC gamepad, just needed something other than the keyboard. I got one of the Logitech PS2-style controllers at Walmart for $15, I like it so far.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I hate using anything on games but the controllers they were intended for. It's worth spending 10 bucks more that your proposed limit to get the adapter from RetroUSB. Really high quality so it'll probably last you a lifetime, and you just pop in the NES controller I'm guessing you already have. The SNES adapter is just as good too.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    I hate using anything on games but the controllers they were intended for. It's worth spending 10 bucks more that your proposed limit to get the adapter from RetroUSB. Really high quality so it'll probably last you a lifetime, and you just pop in the NES controller I'm guessing you already have. The SNES adapter is just as good too.
    A mentality that wastes money as far as PC usage goes. An NES pad won't be useful but for NES, SMS, GB and Atari emulation. Better off to buy something with enough buttons to be useful for most emulators and PC games than in a specialty device.

Believe it or not but doing so isn't blasphemy. You aren't INTENDED to emulate them on a PC, either.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 123►Genei-Jin View Post
    Saturn USB pads are just as good as the original ones and cheap:

White version

Black version

Gray version
    I second this. 23 dollars is a good price for these rare pads and I use mine for just about every emu except Playstation and certain MAME games. Seriously, you can't go wrong with these.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    You may find this hard to believe, but despite my large collection of SMS games I always end up just playing them on Kega because I hate the shitty SMS d-pad and pause button.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

There's no need to rag on my personal preference. :/ I don't think it's "wrong" to use anything else; I just want the proper feel. Using a big, bulky third-party PC pad doesn't feel right when playing an NES game. It's a lesser experience. If I'm using the controller intended for the game, I can forget I'm even emulating, and I know that any discomfort I have with the controls is a result of the game itself not the controller I'm using. The developers created their game around the idea of being used with a specific controller (or a specific few if they take into consideration other accessories for said system).

There are other benefits too. I don't have to store a bunch of extra controllers as I can just grab controllers I already have. The tiny adapters take up almost no space. And on that same thought, when I take my laptop to school or wherever, an NES controller is so small and light that it easily fits in my laptop bag. A bulkier, heavier controller would be more of a pain to take with me. Also, third-party PC controllers are notorious for crapping out in just a few years. Most system controllers are high quality and built to last.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree with Aussie2B that getting a USB converter for a controller you already own is the overall best option IMO - usually cheaper than buying a new controller of equal quality, you don't have to get used to some strange new controller configuration, and first-party console controllers are of a higher build-quality, so you're not going to feel like you're holding something fragile and cheap.

So you could just get an NES to USB adapter since that's what you're mostly planning on using it for and maybe get more adapters later as-needed, or actually what I would suggest, which is the route I took, is to buy one USB converter for the most versatile system controller you own; one that can be applied to the widest range of systems.

For me this was the Dual-Shock II - with the four main buttons, four shoulder buttons, d-pad and two analog sticks, I have yet to meet a system I can't adapt it to. So I picked up a Smartjoy adapter for about 10 bucks and that's all I needed. I know some people hate the d-pad on this controller, but I really don't mind it. For my purposes it's comfortable enough, solid, and highly adaptable, which was all I was looking for.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Everyone always says "Oh, just use an Xbox controller, they're already USB."

But to me, the 360 controller just doesn't cut it. It may have good buttons and tight analogs, but it has the worst Dpad in the history of Dpads, period. The only time a 360 controller is good is when it's some aftermarket like Nyko or Madcatz, when they swap out that rocker switch for a legit cross Dpad. With the 360, it's way too easy to accidentally hit diagonals. I had a 2 port PSX/PS2 controller adapter for a while (from 2005-2010), and that was alright, but even Sony's Dpad with its separated diamonds hurts to use after a while. Nintendo has had the best Dpad since the original NES, SNES and N64. I wouldn't want to use anything less for classic game emulation. Once I got the Mayflash wireless Classic Controller to USB adapter and got to use the old flatty on my emulators, that was it. I never looked back. Plus, this thing is wireless...

This isn't meant to be "spam." This isn't meant to be a "thread necro."
    I'm just letting people know this thing is out there. Mayflash makes some
    awesome stuff. HOPEFULLY this gets left up so the other contributors /
    watchers of this thread can know that such an option exists.

Honestly, what's better for retro games than a controller that
    Nintendo themselves designed specifically for them???

But for those who, for whatever reason, dislike the Classic Controller.
    Mayflash is also planning to put these out soon...

http://www.mayflash....USB/PS3003.html
    http://www.mayflash....OWiiU/W009.html
    You have a choice of using the Wii U Pro or Sony Dual Shock 3,
    and each of these adapters can support up to four controllers.

No BT dongle, no MotioninJoy, Glovepie or Bluesoleil required.
    Just straight DirectInput (and Xinput) conversion.
    (Not that you couldn't get Xinput with x360ce.exe)

http://s14.postimg.o.../xbox360_CE.png
    http://s18.postimg.o...ey_Settings.png
    Last edited by FlatWiiCCFan; 05-21-2013 at 01:12 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by jperryss View Post
    Anyway, I'm not terrible fussy about my PC gamepad, just needed something other than the keyboard. I got one of the Logitech PS2-style controllers at Walmart for $15, I like it so far.
    $15? Goddamnit, I paid $25 for one at Best Buy, though I don't shop at Walmart anyway. The controller itself is great. I first had one of those RetroLink controllers that looked just like a SNES pad, only with 1/10th of the build quality of the SNES pad, I had to open it up and fix it within 3 weeks. The Logitech one is solid as hell, plus it has analog sticks so I can play the N64. Only bad thing is that it's not the best pad for the Genesis/Sega CD/32X thanks to the button configuration, especially with 6-button games.