Thread: CORGS-Con 09, retro gaming convention (5-30-09), central Ohio

Insert Coin (Level 0) solution7z's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Post CORGS-Con 09, retro gaming convention (5-30-09), central Ohio

Hi gamers, the Columbus Ohio Retro Gaming Society will be throwing their annual convention on May 30th 2009. This years convention will be held at Maynard Ave Methodist Church in the gigantic ballroom. The primary focus will be on retro (70s,80s,90s) video and computer gaming, but we will also be having toy and board game vendors as well as home-brew/Indie games. This years convention will be featuring numerous vendors, guest lecturers, refreshments, and video game contests. We will also be having open "show and tell" sessions and lectures on the stage for anyone who would like to demonstrate their item or give a lecture.

Vendor tables only cost 15 bucks !!!!! The show will be going from 10am to 8pm, and vendors have access at 8am to 9pm. Maynard Ave. Church is conveniently located right off of N. High street, just minutes from campus. The address is 2350 Indianola Ave, Columbus, OH . To guarantee a great showing, admission for buyers is FREE ! Anyone wanting to reserve a time on the main stage should contact us ASAP, as slots are filling up fast. Please contact us as soon as possible to reserve a table, as tables are going fast also . You may contact either of the CORGS co-founders by phone or e-mail. We will see you there............

Gary M. (the Great Buckeye) 614-878-9027 gm77z@yahoo.com
    Gary C. (G-Money) 614-284-5831 70gool@msn.com
    http://corgs-con.webs.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sounds interesting, I may make the trip down there.

Quick questions... How many years has this been going on and what kind of attendance numbers to you expect?

Thanks.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

I don't check this forum enough...

I went to this show today on a complete whim. To be honest, I wasn't expecting a whole heck of a lot. Looking at their webpage...they only had 6 vendors listed. But hey, it was free.

I was pleasantly surprised. The room was small, but STUFFED with vendors (I'd guestimate around 35 tables, several folks having 2-3 tables jam packed with stuff). With that many tables, getting around (when I got there at nearly 1 PM) was difficult at best. As I left around an hour later (4 laps around the room), it was starting to clear out a bit. Selection was great. Everything from 2600 carts to 360 games. I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of solid classic stuff there. I could have gone nuts on the 2600 carts at one booth. And I was drooling at the old handhelds at one table, but the prices were out of my range.

I thought most vendors had great prices. Although shopping around did do me well. Deals were there for the taking. I could have sworn I saw a GH FF VII for $14.99, but I could have been wrong. Whatever it was, it was still there when I left.

The biggest issue (besides the cramped space) was it was ungodly hot. The show was held downstairs in a room in a church...if you left the main room, the temperature dropped about 30 degrees. You could kind of tell that there was air circulating, but the number of folks in there just made the temp explode. Big ups for the timing of the two girls who brought in free Red Bull. Also, there were presentations and events on the stage...but you had to be right there to hear things, and when a crowd did gather to listen to the presentations, it blocked the aisle.

So overall, I was extremely happy I went, and will be looking forward to their next show. There were some nitpicks, but it was nice to finally have a good, solid video game show so close to home.
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SAV2880

Quote Originally Posted by scooterb23 View Post
    I don't check this forum enough...

I went to this show today on a complete whim. To be honest, I wasn't expecting a whole heck of a lot. Looking at their webpage...they only had 6 vendors listed. But hey, it was free.

I was pleasantly surprised. The room was small, but STUFFED with vendors (I'd guestimate around 35 tables, several folks having 2-3 tables jam packed with stuff). With that many tables, getting around (when I got there at nearly 1 PM) was difficult at best. As I left around an hour later (4 laps around the room), it was starting to clear out a bit. Selection was great. Everything from 2600 carts to 360 games. I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of solid classic stuff there. I could have gone nuts on the 2600 carts at one booth. And I was drooling at the old handhelds at one table, but the prices were out of my range.

I thought most vendors had great prices. Although shopping around did do me well. Deals were there for the taking. I could have sworn I saw a GH FF VII for $14.99, but I could have been wrong. Whatever it was, it was still there when I left.

The biggest issue (besides the cramped space) was it was ungodly hot. The show was held downstairs in a room in a church...if you left the main room, the temperature dropped about 30 degrees. You could kind of tell that there was air circulating, but the number of folks in there just made the temp explode. Big ups for the timing of the two girls who brought in free Red Bull. Also, there were presentations and events on the stage...but you had to be right there to hear things, and when a crowd did gather to listen to the presentations, it blocked the aisle.

So overall, I was extremely happy I went, and will be looking forward to their next show. There were some nitpicks, but it was nice to finally have a good, solid video game show so close to home.
    I saw the GH FF7 that was there, sucker was factory sealed too! I think that guy was quoting prices on the fly, and that price tag was what he originally paid for it. He had a ton of sealed stuff, nice selection.

I agree on all the accounts above outside of seeing the Red Bull girls, was out of there by that point. Actually, my time there was from 11:30 to about 1. Found a couple of nice deals, ran into a buddy from the old CinciClassic days (Snyper2099), and definitely enjoyed the effort, looking forward to next year's show.

If they're reading, I'd love to help plan it or help with coordination, or donate some web space! Outside of ads at OSU I would presume, I don't think enough people knew about this, and there's no reason with some extra pub or an organized web page that this couldn't get more love.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Quote Originally Posted by SAV2880 View Post
    I saw the GH FF7 that was there, sucker was factory sealed too! I think that guy was quoting prices on the fly, and that price tag was what he originally paid for it. He had a ton of sealed stuff, nice selection.

I agree on all the accounts above outside of seeing the Red Bull girls, was out of there by that point. Actually, my time there was from 11:30 to about 1. Found a couple of nice deals, ran into a buddy from the old CinciClassic days (Snyper2099), and definitely enjoyed the effort, looking forward to next year's show.

If they're reading, I'd love to help plan it or help with coordination, or donate some web space! Outside of ads at OSU I would presume, I don't think enough people knew about this, and there's no reason with some extra pub or an organized web page that this couldn't get more love.

Yeah, say Snyper2099 there, but I didn't know him well enough back in the Cinciclassic days to be able to talk to him. Did see a couple other folks I know (waves to Chris). The Red Bull girls came in about 1:30, and were gone by 1:35...but their stack of Red Bull was still about 1/3 there by 2 when I left.

I found out about the show a little over a week ago at one local store. And I know a few of the other local stores were there, so I assume they plugged things a bit as well. Still, for a first effort, it was good stuff. A little more publicity never hurts (although I don't know if more people could have packed in there at times!)
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

very cool little show. i hope it can grow a bit and maybe get a bigger space

Insert Coin (Level 0) calistarwind's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SAV2880 View Post

I had a great time too Sav, didn't know you were frequent to this site.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SAV2880

Quote Originally Posted by calistarwind View Post
    I had a great time too Sav, didn't know you were frequent to this site.
    Heya!

Actually, not nearly as frequently as I did awhile back, but in looking for info on blogging about the event, I came back to here. There's always some cross-posting from here to GameTZ (where I frequent a LOT), and CAG (going there more these days).