Thread: 32X Running WITHOUT Power???

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default 32X Running WITHOUT Power???

After receiving a 32X (unit only) from a friend, I proceeded to hook it up with some electronics breadboard wires. When everything was hooked up, it worked fine, aside from the fact that it wouldn't turn off with the Genesis power button, I had to pull power from the 32X. Oddly, the 32X still turns on without its power cable! I played Star Wars Arcade for a while like this.

Before I use it any more, I'd like to know if this is safe. I know there's a 5v pin in the passthrough, but the power adaptor is 9v. Still, I didn't notice any slowdown and I love the prospect of running the Unholy Trio on two ACs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

The issue with your 32X is that it's haunted. Haunted 32X units have a rarity of 7 in the DP guide so you have quite a gem there.
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

The 5V instead of 9V isn't anything to worry about. The internals of the 32X are still going to be 5V and a regulator is used to get from 9 to 5. The thing to worry about is power. The 32X is probally pulling more power from the Genesis than is recomended. How long did you play for? It might not do anything but your adaptor could possibly overheat. Or low power could possibly damage some other component.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Clownzilla View Post
    The issue with your 32X is that it's haunted. Haunted 32X units have a rarity of 7 in the DP guide so you have quite a gem there.
    Oh no, I hoped that wouldn't be the case... Is this going to end up like the SMB3 episode of AVGN?

I played it for maybe 15 minutes like that. I didn't notice any slowdown or glitching. I'll try it later with the 5v lead disconnected and the proper power adapter inserted.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, with the 5V line, the Genesis power regulator will produce alot of internal heat inside the case, therefore, heating the other chips faster ..They might not like it during long periods of gameplay and crash at some point....
    §ø Ï ζ Ξ Δ φ Ψ ς ώ ☆ ¿ ∞ ♪ ξ

Insert Coin (Level 0) iloveguns's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

wow this is the first i heard 32x running w/o power... lol
    the best things in life are those moments unexpected...

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I tried the setup with all ACs in use and the 5v line disconnected, and it worked as it should.

As for heat, I played Star Wars Arcade yesterday for at least a half hour, then another half hour of random Genesis stuff, and the AC was barely warm. After leaving everything off but still plugged in for a few hours, the AC was still warm. I just got a new power strip though, so I'll be cutting power to everything when I'm not playing.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wasn't talking about the power supply getting hot at all, but instead, the Genesis internal IC power regulator....If you try it again, feel and touch the outside of the Genesis shell after a few minutes of gameplay, near and around the heatsink....Its going to be hotter than normal with the 32X 5v line connected...
    §ø Ï ζ Ξ Δ φ Ψ ς ώ ☆ ¿ ∞ ♪ ξ