Thread: How can I add S-video to my Tube TV?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default How can I add S-video to my Tube TV?

In loo of buying an entirely new tv just for an S-video jack, I was wondering if anyone sells some kind of converter that would allow me to add an s-video jack to my already existing composite jacks. so I can enjoy some of my older games S-video picture ( ive got an s-video modded genesis ) If this isn't impossible then what are my other options for getting s-video out of my standard definition tv without buying a new one?

EDIT: would this work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/RiteAV---Composi...29128010r25803
    Last edited by wingzrow; 04-30-2009 at 04:14 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wingzrow View Post
    In loo of buying an entirely new tv just for an S-video jack, I was wondering if anyone sells some kind of converter that would allow me to add an s-video jack to my already existing composite jacks. so I can enjoy some of my older games S-video picture ( ive got an s-video modded genesis ) If this isn't impossible then what are my other options for getting s-video out of my standard definition tv without buying a new one?

EDIT: would this work? I think this auction may be the reverse of what i'm asking.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-COMPOSITE-FEMALE-TO-S-VIDEO-MALE-CONVERTER-ADAPTER_W0QQitemZ130297996205QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH _DefaultDomain_0?hash=item130297996205&_trksid=p32 86.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A15|39%3A1|240%3A13 18|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50
    The problem with doing this is that you'd be taking a good signal(S-video) and converting it to a not as good signal(composite). Converters do exist but you'd probally be better off using the composite output from the system if it has it.

It probally is possibe to mod the TV to go right from S-Video to the RGB somewhere on the board but the process will vary from TV to TV and be somewhat complicated unless you really know what your doing.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    The problem with doing this is that you'd be taking a good signal(S-video) and converting it to a not as good signal(composite). Converters do exist but you'd probably be better off using the composite output from the system if it has it.

It probably is possible to mod the TV to go right from S-Video to the RGB somewhere on the board but the process will vary from TV to TV and be somewhat complicated unless you really know what your doing.
    I want to do the opposite, taking composite and converting it to the higher s-video. Click the link again, this is what I was looking to buy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I want to do the opposite, taking composite and converting it to the higher s-video. Click the link again, this is what I was looking to buy.
    If you have an s-video modded genesis and you want to connect it to a TV's composite input then what I said above is valid. That adaptor you found apears as though it will do that, but you will still end up with a composite picture.

Only by bypassing the composite input on the TV and converting the S-Video signal directly in the circutry on the TV will you get an S-Video quality picture.

Try searching craigslist's free listings for TV's. Many people are getting rid of theirs now for high def sets. I see them all the time on there. Just ask if they have S-Video before going to pick it up.
    Last edited by jb143; 04-30-2009 at 04:31 PM.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That is just a filter that gives you a working S-Video signal, but it won't be as sharp or clean as a real S-Video signal. In fact, most likely, the S-Video that you'd get using that adapter will be worse than the composite signal.

That filter is more useful as a S-Video to composite converter rather than the other way around but, to answer your question, yeah, it works both ways.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Damn, well I guess ile have to buy a whole new tv then. Anything you guys recommend? They don't make thin tube tvs do they? HDTVS don't blend N64 games at all so they look like crap unless you play in Standard Definition ones.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

Damn, well I guess ile have to buy a whole new tv then. Anything you guys recommend? They don't make thin tube tvs do they?
    A think CRT? That's kind of impossible.

Why not just get an old TV from a used shop or yard sale?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Breetai View Post
    A thin CRT? That's kind of impossible.

Why not just get an old TV from a used shop or yard sale?
    Well, it's mainly because not many old standard tvs have s-video

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know how you feel. I've been on a quest for a cheap 32-inch (-ish, not necessarily exactly 32) with s-video for a while now. I currently rock my 24" with composite input-- one of these days I'll find a better one.

I wish you better luck in your quest to find one than I have thus far had.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aclbandit View Post
    I know how you feel. I've been on a quest for a cheap 32-inch (-ish, not necessarily exactly 32) with s-video for a while now. I currently rock my 24" with composite input-- one of these days I'll find a better one.

I wish you better luck in your quest to find one than I have thus far had.
    I'm also looking, and I haven't found anything that is cheap enough yet. Pawn shops are a ripoff, and so are most of the people on craigslist (around here).

And I can attest to the fact that S-Video to Composite adaptors SUCK. Don't waste your money. I used it once to output from my video card to the TV and it looked awful, I think it was worse than composite quality, couldn't even read the text that the video card output. Was still half decent for playing roms I guess though, but thats because I was so used to crappy output from my video game systems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crrimson View Post
    I'm also looking, and I haven't found anything that is cheap enough yet. Pawn shops are a ripoff, and so are most of the people on craigslist (around here).

And I can attest to the fact that S-Video to Composite adaptors SUCK. Don't waste your money. I used it once to output from my video card to the TV and it looked awful, I think it was worse than composite quality, couldn't even read the text that the video card output. Was still half decent for playing roms I guess though, but thats because I was so used to crappy output from my video game systems.
    I don't think that was the S-Video adapter. That's video card to TV in general. Unless it's high def set it's going to look like crap. ROM games were designed to be played on a TV so they'll look fine. Windows was meant to be displayed on a high resolution monitor so it's going to look bad on a TV.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes they do.

Most TVs (24 inch and up) manufactured from the mid to late 90's on, have s-video. It's very very common and you can spend less than $50 for a good tube TV. Do a little looking on Craigslist or garage sales and I have no doubt you'll find one. It's an excellent time to buy because a lot of people are dumping their analog sets really cheap to purchase a digital ready HD set.

And like many people have mentioned, converting S-video to composite for a TV that does not have an s-video connection is absolutely pointless. That converter is a waste of money, unless you have a device with an s-video output only (and no composite)- and I personally haven't come across a consumer-grade, factory-produced device that has an s-video and no composite.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How much do you think a 27 inch trinitron would go for?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by TheDomesticInstitution View Post
    Do a little looking on Craigslist or garage sales and I have no doubt you'll find one. It's an excellent time to buy because a lot of people are dumping their analog sets really cheap to purchase a digital ready HD set.
    I thought that would be the case until I looked around myself. It's harder to find a good CRT than you think. Maybe in bigger cities a good CRT is easier to find cheap, but in Cedar Rapids, people think their old CRT TV's are made of gold. Here are the first 3 TV's I found on craigslist today and their asking prices and descriptions:

• 30" Samsung flat Screen - $200
      "Two year old 30" Samsung slimline (16 inches Deep) Needs repair.
    • 55 inch Mitsubishi TV - $500
      2003 55 inch picture- in- picture Mitshubishi TV, model WS-A55, HD Upgradable. Has had very little use.
    • Small Maybe 15" Tube TV - $10
      Small maybe a fifteen inch screen tv. It is color and works like new but we upgraded our child's TV. It is a charcoal grey color. Only bad thing about it is that it doesn't have RCA connections but does have a cable connection. Call xxxxxxxxx or email me through craigslist. Thanks!

Ok, so the first TV is broken and the guy still wants $200, the second TV is $500, and the third TV doesn't have S-Video. That's pretty much sums up how my search has been going. Either someone wants way too much for their TV, or it is absolute garbage and doesn't have S-Video.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just some examples from near where I live.

Sharp 27" (probably has s-video) $50

36" Sony XBR (maybe a little out of your price range) one of the best and biggest tubes you can buy for only $250 This one has s-video.

30" Toshiba- $50... may or may not have s-video

27" Sony Flatscreen Trinitron $125

36" Trinitron for $150

32" Panasonic for $50- probably has s-video

27" Probably has s-video $25

I could do this for a while, but you get the idea. Plenty of TV's offered for $50. Which means you can probably talk them down further. A top of a line 36 inch trinitron for $250 is a pretty good deal, and should be the absolute max you should have to pay for a tube TV. If you held out for a month or so, you could probably find better deals than these. Sure there are a-holes that think their shit's worth more than it is, but there's still a lot of good deals to be had. I even remember seeing a recent 27" sony for only $75 IIRC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Did some searching and couldn't find one I wanted. Anyone think it's possible for a complete newbie to solder on an S-video jack onto this thing?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

buying a new tv with a s-video port? I just saw a tv sitting outside in the trash with a s-video port the other day. They can't be too hard to find for cheap.