Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: May 2009 finds

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    JCinc421

Well, spur of the moment I decided to go back to those same two stores today to comb them over again:

McVan's (all complete)
    - Guardian Heroes (Saturn) = $49.99
    - Grand Theft Auto (PS1) = $4.99
    - GTA London missions (PS1) = $2.99

Disc Exchange
    - Snake's Revenge (NES,cart) = $6.99
    - Battletoads (GEN, cib) = $7.99
    - Tiny Toon Adventures Buster's Hidden Treasure (GEN, boxed) = $0.99
    - Jurrasic Park Part 2: the Chaos Continues (SNES, cib) = $5.99
    - Metal Gear Soild (PS1, cib black label) = $7.99
    - MGS VR missions (PS1, cib) = $5.99
    - Daytona USA (Saturn, complete) = $0.99
    - Yoshi's Story (N64, cib) = $9.99

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

A pretty good weekend, lots of stuff at great prices.

First pic:

Mega Man 2,3,4 and 5
    Contra and Super C
    99 Nights, Crimson Tears, Magna Carta and Table Tennis (jap)
    FF7 (gh), MvC2 (dc), Mr. Driller (ps), Threads of Fate, Rival Schools, Misadventures of Tron Bonne, Mario Kart 64
    SNES system w/hookups and 4 controlers and Super Punch Out (not pictured)

$62 shipped from another forum. Awesome deal.

Second Pic:

Samurai Showdown, Art of Fighting and Run Saber (snes) - $5
    Wetrix - $2
    Fantasia (gen) - $2.75
    Sesame Street ABC/123 - $1
    Nintendo with 2 dogbone controllers, Skate or Die and ac adapter (accessories not pictured) - $20
    Dreamcast with 2 controllers, rumble pack, vmu, hookups and Soul Reaver, Crazy Taxi, NBA 2k and Championship Surfer (Games and accessories not pictured) - $12

Insert Coin (Level 0) chrissylas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I snagged a decent CL deal tonight.

Genesis 2, 32x, Toughman Contest (complete), Virtua Racing (complete), Doom (with manual), Virtual Fighter 32x, Ecco: Tides of Time (complete), Pit Fighter (complete), Super Street Fighter II (complete), X-men 2, Flashback, WeaponLord, and Out of this World

Total: $10

Guy also says he has Splatterhouse (didn't say whether it was 2 or 3) and will give me a call if he finds it. If he does, it's included in the $10 I paid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    icbrkr

Quote Originally Posted by jcalder8 View Post
    HOLY SHIT icbrkr that's amazing!
    The story behind it is that there was this guy's brother who passed away suddenly after the E3 last year and he was a huge collector. The guy drove to New York to load as much of it into his car as he could to come back, go through, and sell off for his estate. His mom ended up with the other half. He didn't want to just garage sale it, but he wanted it to go to collectors. I normally don't bother with CL, but Grimbal sent me an email with the link and I figured if they had a Tales of Symphonia Gamecube, what else do they have?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tubeway View Post
    Yeah, apparently I don't! I skimmed that at about 5 in the morning and it made my eyes hurt. I stand corrected.
    English wasen't my best class in school, math was as some of my posts surely can back up. I would actually hid some of the text that isn't really important to what I found to make it a little easier to deal with but AFAIK DP doesn't have any kind of spoiler tags.

It's at least good to hear that I didn't screw up the puncturation or at least not too much.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I went on my usual route today, but all I walked away with was an Atari 2600 paddle controller set. That was from a shop down the road from my friend's house, after dropping off his 2600 which needed the power plug re-soldered. This thrift was probably the worst I've seen in terms of markup.

$28 printer from the early 90s, anyone? Comes with extra dust!

There was a graveyard-of-a-rack full of CRT monitors, with a blue/turqoise iMac sitting right in the middle. Had the mouse too. I've wanted one since I was a kid and they were new, mainly so I could play The Journeyman Project: Pegasus Prime. Judging by the price of those printers, I thought maybe $60, which I would have run to an ATM to get. Nope, $125. Screw it. Also wanted $5 and $10 for some sealed DOS games, Martian somethingorother and Under a Killing Moon, respectively.

The first thing I found was the Atari paddles, and I waited until I was fed up to ask their price. Friggin $8. I would have probably paid that with shipping online, and I've been needing a set, so I paid it and left. Not going back there again. Didn't even bother to ask about the Genesis 3 that was missing cables.

Saw THREE GameCubes at my church's thrift, no hookups. At least two of them had digital AV, the black ones. Didn't look at the indigo one with the "electricity" skin. $10/each. Also looked underneath, no modems or ethernet adaptors. No sense in getting those. Also passed up the three Expert Software PC Sonic releases (CD, R, and & Knuckles Collection), jewel cases. I have all three disc only, and they were $1 each. Also passed up Resident Evil 3 (PSX) at GoodWill for $3.06, which was missing the demo disc and had bad water damage.

At least there's one thing I feel good about: my Genesis 2 video cable came Saturday, $8 shipped.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Got my copies of Donkey Kong Classics and DK Jr. Math for the NES, and manual for Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World for the SNES today from ebay.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okay everybody, the mystery lot came in today. You can stop holding your breath.

What started as this undescribed, promising looking lot on ebay

Became this (in order of worst games first, and by worst I mean "least valuable" and "least shiny")

For those that are blind it's Karnov, Bases Loaded: Second Season, 2 copies of SMB/DH, Ghostbusters, Spy Hunter, (grey) Zelda, Robocop, John Elway's Quarterback, Gauntlet, Double Dragon II, Trojan, and Rampage.

mmmm... a bit tastier. Metroid, Life Force, Renegade, SMB 3, Ninja Gaidan 1 & 2, (licensed) Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Metal Gear, Final Fantasy, Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!, Crystalis, and Wizards & Warriors.

Dragon Warrior 1 & 3 boxed. Also in the pic is Zone of The Enders (PS2), Gameshark (PS2), Beowulf, Pirates of the Carribean, and Fatal Rewind (GEN).

I paid almost $30 for that lot. Not bad I guess.
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!

I can't change my avatar. Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YaoIsGod

DW III will get you your money back.
    Like free stuff? I have earned hundreds of dollars in free Amazon gift cards through Swagbucks. Check it out here! Earn 3000 points and I will give you FREE shipping the next time you buy from me!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Porksta

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

God damn that 'FM'. I hate that guy!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    Here's what I use. Dab a little on a Q-Tip and wipe it off after it starts to look runny. Mine actually says "1148 Thinner/Diluant," nothing about enamel, but you get the idea. Try it on SMB first, and keep it away from the labels.

Last edited by NayusDante; 05-04-2009 at 05:01 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2) icarwngs55's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    Here's what I use. Dab a little on a Q-Tip and wipe it off quickly. Mine actually says "1148 Thinner/Diluant," but you get the idea. Try it on SMB first.

Nooooooooooo! Mr Clean Magic Eraser is the way to go. Nothing too harsh...please.

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    lol I had no idea what you were talking about until I remembered the "FM" on all the games. If it helps any there's no "FM" on Dragon Warrior III.

Thanks for the advice. I was actually going to try out a magic eraser.

Also, the writing is the least of my worries. I wasn't going to say anything but all of these games stink of cigarette smoke. I've had some smelly ciggy games before (PS1) and I've found that the best thing to do is to just let them sit and air out for a while. I probably shouldn't say this too but at least they aren't all moldy/nasty. (/me feels bad for Darkslime.)

And one of the games has "Grandma" written twice on the back O_o.
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Found today at my favorite game store:
    Chavez II for snes, 2 bucks
    Sol-Deace for genesis, 3 bucks
    also a few days ago from the same store:
    nes game genie 6 bucks
    Low G Man cart only 3.95
    Also found on criagslist an n64 with all hookups, 2 games and 17 nes games, 5 bucks!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Nice work Ryaan1234, rolling the bones pays off every now and again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

Nice grab there Ryan. Just curious, does the seller have the same FM initials? It'd be neat if the seller was the original owner of all those games, and given the way it was listed is totally possible.

Pretzel (Level 4) Goodwill Hunter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Luck like I haven’t seen in a while at Goodwill over lunch today….

Right away, I saw a half dozen boxed NES games for $2.99 on the movie shelves which was unusual enough… snagged the two that I needed boxes for, and went to the CD shelves. Saw the Zork Anthology disk, and even if it isn’t worth anything, as a fan of the Hitchhiker’s text adventure, I’ve always wanted to try Zork.

After adding Zork to the 2 NES games in hand, my eye caught a freshly-placed stack of black-spined CD cases with the telltale NTSC logo at the other end of the row. I patiently waited until the guy looking at the classical CDs moved on, and then I started going through the stack of about 20 games, all priced $1.99 each.

Spawn, need it….Croc, have it for the Saturn, not the PSX…passed on a few sports titles….and then BINGO, one after another, Tomba!, Tomba!2, Klonoa, Final Fantasy VII!...plus a bunch of other less exciting titles I did not yet have in my collection.

3 months ago, most of these cases would have been empty already, but fortunately this Goodwill recently started keeping all disc-based media in these big CD binders behind the counters. The cases and manuals were in good shape, and my hunch that the discs would be as well turned out to be true. Best lunchtime score I’ve had in a while…it’s been a heck of a May so far!

Rich

P.S. Not to mention the fact that I learned that Magic Johnson’s Fast Break is filled with “Slammin’ – Jammin’ Basketball ACTION”!!!
    Tomorrow's Past is Yesterday's Future Today!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Alright, lots of stuff to catch up on from the end of last week.

These PS2 items were across the week so I really didn't keep track of prices. I actually bought more, stuff for friends, resale this and thats, etc. which are not pictured. The TRU 30% off PS2 games sale coupled with use of the "spend $25.00 get $5.00 off" coupon allowed me to pick up quite a bit. All said and done I probably spent about $45.00 on the items below but I don't recall specific prices, all were sealed new.

PS2 - Rock Band Drum Set
    PS2 - Fatal Fury Battle Archives Volume 2
    PS2 - Lego Indiana Jones The Original Adventures
    PS2 - Midway Arcade Treasures
    PS2 - Rock Band

Pirate Famicom multicart arrived today from the boards...

Nothing spectacular, it's the usual multicart assortment.

Lastly, lately I've been rebuying a few of my favorite comics. My all time favorite being Dave Stevens' opus to the 1930's, The Rocketeer. The early stories were collected into a single volume back in the late 1980's and that's what I set out to pick up again. I ended up buying a copy off eBay for pretty close to the original cover price and was happy to be able to read the exploits of my favorite pulp comic once again.

Now what was really interesting, and a little surreal, is that as I flipped it open for the first time I was greeted with a signature inside the cover. The book was signed by the late Mr. Stevens. It was pretty strange to say the least since to me Dave Stevens was one of the greatest illustrators to ever walk the planet. It was also a somber moment since I'm still a bit in shock that the world will no longer be privileged to witness new output from him - and he's been gone over a year now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Gasshu-kun

Quote Originally Posted by Goodwill Hunter View Post
    Luck like I haven’t seen in a while at Goodwill over lunch today….

Right away, I saw a half dozen boxed NES games for $2.99 on the movie shelves which was unusual enough… snagged the two that I needed boxes for, and went to the CD shelves. Saw the Zork Anthology disk, and even if it isn’t worth anything, as a fan of the Hitchhiker’s text adventure, I’ve always wanted to try Zork.

After adding Zork to the 2 NES games in hand, my eye caught a freshly-placed stack of black-spined CD cases with the telltale NTSC logo at the other end of the row. I patiently waited until the guy looking at the classical CDs moved on, and then I started going through the stack of about 20 games, all priced $1.99 each.

Spawn, need it….Croc, have it for the Saturn, not the PSX…passed on a few sports titles….and then BINGO, one after another, Tomba!, Tomba!2, Klonoa, Final Fantasy VII!...plus a bunch of other less exciting titles I did not yet have in my collection.

3 months ago, most of these cases would have been empty already, but fortunately this Goodwill recently started keeping all disc-based media in these big CD binders behind the counters. The cases and manuals were in good shape, and my hunch that the discs would be as well turned out to be true. Best lunchtime score I’ve had in a while…it’s been a heck of a May so far!

Rich

P.S. Not to mention the fact that I learned that Magic Johnson’s Fast Break is filled with “Slammin’ – Jammin’ Basketball ACTION”!!!
    Good find on that Klonoa! I have only ever seen about 2-3 in the wild. Two at a GS (one was complete, I bought it), and one at a family-owned game shop.
    Keep it: you may never find another one for that price in good condition.
    In Heaven, everything is fine.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Man, all I got today was a music CD: Bjork -- Debut. Cost me two bucks.

I feel useless, the month just begun and everyone's got awesome finds but me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic