Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Games you love, but never play anymore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

Default Games you love, but never play anymore.

I've been a gamer all my life, and different titles come and go. Some are forgotten, yet some are well remembered. I got to thinking the other day about certain games I played through, loved every moment of, but never played them again for one reason or another. Two that immediately come to mind are:

Hermie Hopperhead (PSX IMPORT) - Great 2D side scroller that used the Playstation's capabilities extremely well. I remember this game getting a lot of attention from Game Fan magazine, with every issue plugging the title and begging for a US release. It never came.

Astal (SAT) - Another beautiful 32 bit side scroller that demonstrated fantastic art direction and unique gameplay. I'll always remember the bird sidekick the main character had. Kinda reminded me of Shadow Dancer with the dog.

So what are some games you love, but never play anymore? I can see a lot of RPG's being listed on this thread.
    Last edited by ShinobiMan; 05-02-2009 at 09:28 AM.

Strawberry (Level 2) Game Freak's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1. Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose - always loved this game as a kid, but usually had no clue what i was doing. I sorta just took things as I went, and usually died on the (train?) level in the wild west.

2. Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure
    Same as above, but the game was just overly confusing. The levels were chock ful of secrets, but the music was pretty awesome

3. idunno the name of it, but its an arcade game where a donkey throws coconuts at you and when you die, your character turns into an angel sprite and flies (or slides, whatever) up the screen. Any help?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I tend to buy games, play it through once and then put it on the shelf for the rest of my/its life with the reason being "OK, that was a great experience, but I don't need to get it again, I'll put the memories in my head instead". Annoying, frustrating yet megawesome games like Ecco the Dolphin belong in this category, although I must buy the CD version and play it through >_<.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    CROM JR

RPG's for sure, just because after you play it theres hardly any surprise left and you dont want to trek through hours of game play again...

mass effect... (360)

wild arms... (ps1)

chrono Trigger... (snes)

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Quote Originally Posted by Game Freak View Post
    3. idunno the name of it, but its an arcade game where a donkey throws coconuts at you and when you die, your character turns into an angel sprite and flies (or slides, whatever) up the screen. Any help?
    Sounds like Congo Bongo to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Cloud121D
    PSN
    Cloud121
    Steam
    Cloud121D

Final Fantasy VII. Beat it four times Between December 26, 1997 and September 9, 1999. Continued to play it well after FFVIII's release in order to beat Emerald WEAPON and Ruby WEAPON and max out my stats on a few of my characters on my main save.

Phantasy Star II. Beat it once. The longest five months ever. January 2003 through Memorial Day 2003. Easily the single greatest RPG I've ever played, and the most difficult game I've played. Don't know if I can devote the time to beat it again.

That's all I can think of right now, as I just woke up.
    My Game Collection
    "I am only what you see me as." - Obsidian Rose

Strawberry (Level 2) Arcade_Ness's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dead Rising: Actually there's a story to this. I got to the point in the game where you had to contend with the soldiers late in the game. I went back to the safe room, then I hear a loud mechanical sound coming from the 360, and the game freezes. Much to my lament I got RROD. Ever since then I've been relunctant to play it, and to the fact that I loathed the last part of the game.

Clock Tower 3: I already beat it and I don't forsee playing it again.

Dirge of Cereberus-FFVII: Same as above.

I have to agree that after beating an RPG, I usually don't return to playing it again. Exception to the rule is Shadow Hearts. It's akin to reading a novel for the second time. You are already know what happens and it takes a long time to complete.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Japanese Super Mario Bros. 2. I love the fact that I accomplished the feat of finishing it on my FDS.

But dear god I will *never* go through that again, lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

One that came to mind right away for me is River City Ransom for the Nes.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Final Fantasy III/VI.

I don't have a SNES to play mine in, and I can't even look at the GBA port because it's just not the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

These games I'm listing aren't because I "can't" play them anymore. It's that I have atleast 20 unplayed games and atleast 30 more games I haven't finished. I don't play games as often as I used to so I want to beat some newer games before I go back to others.

Anyways.

Tactics Ogre Let Us Cling Together This is my favorite game. I've went through each storyline atleast once(Neutral only once,) while the Law story I've went through twice and Chaotic story I've went through three times. The storyline is amazing and easily the best in any video game I've played. The gameplay tops any other tactical RPG and the amount of content also surpasses any other tactical RPG. The reason above is why I haven't played it lately. I'm going to play it atleast this year however because I've been wanting to play it, just to knock out a few games I own I haven't beaten.

Arc the Lad 2 I've actually only went through AtL 2 one time. I've partially went through it a second time but I was only going through it because the first time I played through the original game I missed a Romancing Stone(one that was unacquirable if you missed it.) So I had to play through the first game, get the Romancing Stone I missed and then start a new game on AtL2, get half way through the game to where you can pick all the items you got on the first game(Chongara's Hut,) and then start Arc Arena to trade items between my two files.

The main reason why I haven't played this title a third time is because I accidently deleted my AtL save file so I had to start a new character. This means if I start a new game I won't be able to get any of the special items transferable only to the second game. The first game has this extremely boring arena in which you have to fight 1000 battles and takes atleast 8 hours of monotonous bs. I'm currently on fight 500 and haven't touched the first one again for almost a year. I'll make sure not to delete my save data for the first game after going through this bs again.

Ehrgeiz God Bless the Ring My personal preference on fighters. Last time I played it was just to make a video of it and compared to how good I once was at this game, I can safely say I sucked. I knew literally everything there was to know with every character. It's much harder to get into this game because the only people I know that'll play it with me suck at it, then there's my best friend who won't play the game with me at all because he still thinks I'm really good at it. He's probably the only decent player in the game that I know, but it's hard to get someone to play against you when they think you'll win every match with any character.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 05-02-2009 at 03:51 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Chrono Cross - As many times as I've replayed Chrono Trigger, I only played through Cross once. Once I finish all the side content on CT DS, I'll be playing Radical Dreamers again, and probably CC. It was probably the most emotionally involved game for me, but only because of my previous attachment to the series.

Earthbound - I really played the hell out of this when I was a kid, but it's been years since I played it through again.

Final Fantasy XI - At the beginning, it was the most fun I've ever had. All my friends were playing, and this was what we played every day after high school. Back then, there were 7000+ people on the server any given evening, so getting a group wasn't a problem. Now, there's MAYBE 2000, and it seems nobody wants to actually DO anything. I finally quit last year (2nd time), but I just can't go back again. I really do miss those days...

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good topic.

Once I finish a game more than 2-3 times, I probably never go back to it again.

So that's some of my favs like Silent Hill, Res Evil 1-3, and so on.

RPGs I never finish, and I still never play them, haha.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    Final Fantasy XI
    Word.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For the Atari 2600, a game I did like to play but never played after is Pressure Cooker. Great intro music, colorful graphics, a simple and fun game play.

For the Arcades, the arcade game I did like a lot to play was joust. This arcade game was surrounded by space shooters like Galaxian, Defender and also Wizard of Wor... so it was quite different and I find out to enjoy more this game than the others (stressful) games.

I still play ColecoVision so I skip this one.

For the Commodore 64, Mister Robot was one game I did like to play, not really for the game itself but mostly for the level builder option.

For the NES, Excite Bike is the game I did love to play but I didn't play it after, and for a good reason, the console and the game was not mine.

On the Sega Master System, I did like to play California Games. I've first played this on a Commodore 64 computer, and both version are very similar (in my opinion).

The game I did stop playing but really enjoyed to play for the very early PC computers was Alleykat. I've played this the first time on a computer IBM PCjr. There is a version for the Commodore 64, but I've only played the IBM PC version.

And finally, all the PC games I did own in my life. I've played them once and that's all. There are too many of them.

So, except for ColecoVision games, I did play only once (or a few times) tons of games.
    I don't know if my message fit in this thread...
    Long time no see. Still playing my coleco games?
    http://newcoleco.dev-fr.org

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

Punch-Out!! for the NES. Great game, although I was never able to beat Super Macho Man. I honestly think I could, though.

I was going to put WWE Smackdown! Here Comes the Pain, but I started playing it with my friends again. Gotta love those triple threat ladder matches.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

I've played Symphony of the Night so many times that the game is no fun anymore. Unfortunate: it's still the best 'metroidvania' game out there in my opinion. I still break it out once a year or so, but I seldom get past the chapel before I get bored.

I spent three months obsessively playing Guilty Gear X2#Reload a couple years ago, but quit for good when I realized that, at the end, I still had no idea what the Hell was going on. I guess I'm a Capcom guy at heart. I expect the same thing to happen with Blazblue, but that didn't stop me from pre-ordering it for some stupid reason.

I put two hundred hours into a single character in Morrowind, but my save was corrupted. That was heart breaking, and also enough to make me shelve it for good.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Out of this World. I love this game but it can be hard as hell. I can't decide if I like the Genesis or SNES version. They both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Insert Coin (Level 0) 123►Genei-Jin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Tobal 2. Having no one else to play a fighting game sucks, it's a shame since Tobal is so different and original.

Shatterhand. I love the hell out of this game but I only played trough it once when I was a kid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

Goldeneye - As much as I love the game I just can't play it anymore. It has not aged well at all for me.

Resident Evil 4 - I absolutely love this game, but I've played it through so many times I could probably relive the thing in my head. It'll be years before I am able to replay this, and I did try about a year ago with the Wii version.

Super Smash Bros Melee - I sunk SO MUCH TIME into this title that I think it is the reason I couldn't get into Brawl. It just felt way too similar at that point.

Earth Defense Force 2017 - After sinking 57 hours into finishing this game on all difficulties over two years ago, I haven't wanted to play it since. I haven't, but I will always remember how much fun I had with every minute of this game (except the last two levels on Inferno... ugh).

GTA San Andreas - My most played and replayed GTA title. One of my favorite games of all time. I spent way too much time playing and replaying this, and the thing is I want to again but I just can't. I can't even have fun just messing around in this game anymore having played through it so many times on all platforms (3-4 PS2, 2 PC, once on the Xbox...). I need to shelve this one for at least a year I think.