Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JanLazer

Default Saturn Region Recommendation?

Hey all,

I'm just one console short of a complete(not including variations and such) SEGA console collection. Obviously, I'm talking about the Saturn.

I'm just curious as to what's a better way to go...To go for the Japanese Saturn or for the American Saturn?

I've never gotten into import games, but I've been seeing a few around that I wouldn't mind trying for the Saturn, and I believe that the Japanese Saturn is region free, but at the same time I could use an ST Key or Action Replay to make the American one region free as well.

Just seeking more advice from the general collecting public.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

Unfortunately, the Saturn is not region free. You can get a mod chip or a special RAM cart to fix that though. If you were to buy a Saturn without any mods the Japanese Saturn should be you ONLY choice. The Saturn has a MUCH better library of games in Japan. It was pretty much a flop in the USA.
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JanLazer

Quote Originally Posted by Clownzilla View Post
    Unfortunately, the Saturn is not region free. You can get a mod chip or a special RAM cart to fix that though. If you were to buy a Saturn without any mods the Japanese Saturn should be you ONLY choice. The Saturn has a MUCH better library of games in Japan. It was pretty much a flop in the USA.
    So not even the Japanese Saturn can play Japanese AND US games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nope, neither one is region free.

If you have to pick one or the other and won't buy the RAM cart or modchip, as stated above, get the japanese.

However, if you're willing to drop an extra $30, you can just buy whichever one is cheaper then get a RAM cartridge to "de-region" it.

The cartridge I have (it's fan-freaking-tastic, btw) is sold here: http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-...en-70-1b2.html

Good luck, either way-- I've only recently discovered Sega consoles as a whole (having been a player of Nintendo and Sony stuff most of my life), but I can definitely say that the Saturn is now one of my favorite consoles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

Quote Originally Posted by JanLazer View Post
    So not even the Japanese Saturn can play Japanese AND US games?
    Lol, common sense suggests that they should be able to play games from both regions. Keep in mind though that we are talking about game makers which love to hold on to region based marketing at all costs.
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    rhettoric
    PSN
    rhettoric

Quote Originally Posted by JanLazer View Post
    Hey all,

I'm just one console short of a complete(not including variations and such) SEGA console collection. Obviously, I'm talking about the Saturn.

I'm just curious as to what's a better way to go...To go for the Japanese Saturn or for the American Saturn?

I've never gotten into import games, but I've been seeing a few around that I wouldn't mind trying for the Saturn, and I believe that the Japanese Saturn is region free, but at the same time I could use an ST Key or Action Replay to make the American one region free as well.

Just seeking more advice from the general collecting public.
    So you have the Pico, SG-1000, SG-1000 II, SC-3000 and Mark III?

Like I said, man, get a cheap US system and that Action Replay cart. You'll be set for all regions.
    "Enduro" is a symbolic journey through life via the media of a race.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JanLazer

Quote Originally Posted by aclbandit View Post
    The cartridge I have (it's fan-freaking-tastic, btw) is sold here: http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-...en-70-1b2.html

Good luck, either way-- I've only recently discovered Sega consoles as a whole (having been a player of Nintendo and Sony stuff most of my life), but I can definitely say that the Saturn is now one of my favorite consoles.
    Gotta say, that is a HELL of a cart. Will definitely be snagging that.

Quote Originally Posted by grolt View Post
    So you have the Pico, SG-1000, SG-1000 II, SC-3000 and Mark III?

Like I said, man, get a cheap US system and that Action Replay cart. You'll be set for all regions.
    ...Shaddup, Calgarian. lol. I have access to a Pico..No DESIRE to snag it...I meant I have the majority of the purty black SEGA consoles..That's what I meant....I think. I meant something. lol.

Only problem is finding the 'cheap' part of that. I just snagged $35 credit at one of the retro stores around here, and they DO have Saturns, but...At about $80 or so. Just a WEE bit overpriced.

Quote Originally Posted by Clownzilla View Post
    Lol, common sense suggests that they should be able to play games from both regions. Keep in mind though that we are talking about game makers which love to hold on to region based marketing at all costs.
    And remember kids, common sense...isn't all that common. Ahem. lol. Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking there. Thought the Japanese had a special nitro happy fun console that would play both regions. *Sheepish grin*

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JanLazer
    *Sheepish grin*
    *masturbates furiously*

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

You may as well just get a US one and one of the ST carts since the Saturn isn't region-free. It really depends on your preference of games and your native language. If you want to see more stuff in English, just get the ST cart and a US Saturn. If you're native language is Japanese, then you're going to want to get the ST cart and a Japanese Saturn.

I will say this though: A ST Cart is almost a necessity for a Saturn as a whole ton of the games worth playing are Japanese imports.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Easiest way out is a US Saturn and an Action Replay cart, but you can also do a pretty easy mod. You don't need to by some fancy chip, with a few wires and a really generic chip(cost is about 2 bucks) you can do a region switching modification. I did it on my Saturn a couple years back, and it wasn't too hard. Now I switch regions by pressing the reset button on my Saturn. I even painted it while I had it all taken apart.
    The Monarch: Hey, guess what? Nobody cares who would win in a crazy fantasy fist-fight between Anne Frank and Lizzie Borden. We never should have brought the henchmen. We're going to be the only ones there with henchmen!
    Feedback Thread: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47835

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    rhettoric
    PSN
    rhettoric

Quote Originally Posted by Bratwurst View Post
    *masturbates furiously*
    ?
    "Enduro" is a symbolic journey through life via the media of a race.