Thread: Easiest, Most Reliable, and hopefully Cheapest way to play PS2 Imports?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DKTheArcadeRat

Default Easiest, Most Reliable, and hopefully Cheapest way to play PS2 Imports?

I'm just wondering what would be the best way to play PS2 imports, as far as being most reliable and easiest to do. Hopefully if there is more than one option as far as those go, which would end up being cheapest in the long run.

Thanks,
    Dave
    Last edited by Vectorman0; 05-11-2009 at 08:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by garagesaleking!! View Post
    ebay is the only way to price things in my opinion.
    i was like nice parenting, what are you my therapist, take a walk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Do a search for "modless" import playing - if you have a slim PS2, it's like 3 pieces of plastic and a swap disc. Easy stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Gasshu-kun

The simplest method is Swap Magic.
    First off, which PS2 do you have? Fat or Slim? Here's some instructions for both.

Fat
    ----------

First off, remove the front panel of the system. It should unhook easily, and does not require you to remove any screws. This will reveal the disc slot and door latch.
    Now, the door is locked into place by a little latch where the tray slides into.
    You must use something to unlock the latch and manually pull the tray out instead of the system doing it. (I recommed using an old credit card. Cut a hook-shaped notch into it.) The whole trick behind this, is tricking the system into always thinking the tray is inside. Pressing the switch activates open-mode, while manually doing it does not.
    Anyway, after you get a SM disc and prepare your system, put it into the tray and let the system pull it in.
    The software stops the disc from spinning, and brings up a menu. From here, you want to un-latch the door lock and manually pull out the tray. Take out the SM disc, and put in the import of your choice. Manually press the tray back in, and using your tool, lock the latch back up.
    After you are all set, hit the start game button on the menu, and the game will boot right up!

```````````````

Slim
    ------------

This one is a tiny bit trickier, but it requires no door un-latching.
    To start, un-screw the top of the system. Pull gently, and the top will come right off just like a Super Nintendo. Behind the laser to the left is a small square-shaped piece of plastic. There is a little switch sticking out. That is one of the two door sensors.
    Use some strong tape and tape it down. All done with that part!
    Next, screw the top back on. Now, open up the disc door. There is a little switch in the right-hand corner at the front of the disc bay. Take a small piece of toilet paper and stick it into the spot, pushing down the switch. Use a small piece of regular tape (or two) in order to keep it in there.
    All you have to worry about is the disc break in the back, which won't be a problem if you made the toilet paper wad small enough. If you did, you can still shut the door, except it will stick up a bit where the switch is.
    If you have the switches done right, your PS2 should now play with the door open. Except for the disc break, which can easily be gotten around by shutting the door during the boot cycle, and when you play a game.
    From here, it is quite easy. Put in the Swap Magic, and shut the door to pull back the break.
    Turn it on, and wait for the menu to come up. When the disc stops, open the door, switch for the import, shut the door, press start, and you are good to go!
    ````````````````

Sorry about getting so long-winded there, my ADD was going. >_>
    Anyway, I suggest the slim method. Much easier. But, no matter which you choose, getting a SM set costs no more than $30 with shipping. Quite a great price, I must add.
    In Heaven, everything is fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DKTheArcadeRat

I've used Swap Magic before(not on my console though), is that the most reliable way? Or would it just be easier to get a Japanese PS2? or PSX for that matter? Hah, i realize I just climbed up in price, but would they be a more reliable way to do things?
    ebay is the only way to price things in my opinion.
    i was like nice parenting, what are you my therapist, take a walk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm gonna get one of those new 90000 import PS2's. I'm so tired of having to swap discs back and forth, plus it can't play import PS1 games.

Insert Coin (Level 0) toredauei's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got a 90000 Jap ps2 and id have to say that it's by far the easiest and most reliable method if you dont mind paying the price. Swap magic is nice but still kind of a pain in the ass and putting a mod chip in your ps2 is damn near impossible unless you're are a soldering god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by toredauei View Post
    I've got a 90000 Jap ps2 and id have to say that it's by far the easiest and most reliable method if you dont mind paying the price. Swap magic is nice but still kind of a pain in the ass and putting a mod chip in your ps2 is damn near impossible unless you're are a soldering god.
    Totally agree, those redesigned Ps2 are worth every penny to play imports. I used a fat ps2 with a mod-chip to play all my games on one system but you can get a cheap japanese fat ps2 to do the job
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!