Thread: Playing 2 Games at Once on a Genesis

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Playing 2 Games at Once on a Genesis

Well, not quite. But I was messing around with my two Genesi and the 32x, and decided to have some fun. So, I put the 32x in my model 1, and put Virtual Racing in. Then I put the Adventures of Batman and Robin in the model 2, and connected the video out of the model 2 to the video in of the 32x.

So essentially, the model 2 provided the Adventures of Batman and Robin as a background for Virtual Racing, as well as providing the audio. Obviously this doesn't work very well, because the pictures will not sync properly. I think that if this were to really work it would require tapping the video sync from the cart slot on the model 2, and then feeding that to the 32x. But, I really don't care enough to do that (for now...).

I'll try to get pictures posted some time soon. I just thought this was kinda funny though. Imagine having Mortal Kombat 1 as the background stage for Mortal Kombat 2, with 4 people all playing on screen at once?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, I never thought of trying that. I'm not great with technical stuff but hopefully will try to get it working properly. I mean cmon, Knuckles Chaotix & Sonic CD anyone?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

try this with virtua racing and virtua racing deluxe

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Hey I have a Genesis 1 & 2 both with their own 32Xs. I wonder what happens if you plug one 32X's output cord into another 32X with a different game in it?

Or even weirder, what if it was another copy of the same game? Talk about psychedelic gameplay probably.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Alright, I took some pictures. Here's MK2 with the Adventures of Batman and Robin in the background.

I though that Mortal Kombat 2 with a background of Sonic 2 was pretty funny looking!

Most of the time the video isn't as good as it is in the pictures. While the background is pretty stable, the foreground just scrolls across the tv. This must be because of the two different video sync signals from both consoles getting combined.

Does anyone know what pin(s) in the Genesis cart slot control the video sync? If I figure that out I would probably try making this setup work properly by running the video sync from the genesis with the normal game in it to the 32x, and cut the other genesis completely out of the picture.

Rickstilwell1, I would love to see what the video cross connected on two 32x's would look like. I thought of this myself, but I've only ever seen one 32x, and it's the one that I bought.

Chrisbid, I do have both Virtual Racing and Deluxe, I might try that one later. And they said that Virtual Racing wouldn't work with the 32x...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SPAZ-12 View Post
    Does anyone know what pin(s) in the Genesis cart slot control the video sync? If I figure that out I would probably try making this setup work properly by running the video sync from the genesis with the normal game in it to the 32x, and cut the other genesis completely out of the picture....
    Cartridge pinout
    http://www.gamesx.com/cartouts/gennycart.htm

AV pinout
    http://pinouts.ru/Game/sega2_pinout.shtml

Pretty cool stuff. Have fun experimenting.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I tried connecting the two consoles together like I proposed, but it didn't work. I suspect it's because the v-sync and h-sync signals aren't supposed to be transmitted over a 2 foot wire.

I also might have made a mistake when connecting the pins together, because now my 32x isn't working properly after reassembly. So I would not recommend that anyone try doing this, ever. And now I have to try to fix my 32x.