Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SEGA SAMMY CONSUMER HARDWARE ROADMAP - New SEGA Console Coming in 2010?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

no, no i did not

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If Sega was to release a new console, fall 2010 would be a great time. It looks like the current gen leader, Nintendo, is going to ride out the Wii for several years. Microsoft is coming out with Natal in 2011 but it isn't really a new system, more like Xbox 360+ with new control methods. Sony has the PS4 lined up for 2014. That would give the new Sega system a nice window to sell a ton of systems before anything truly new comes out.

There seems to be too many roadblocks though. Some people are saying graphical capabilities will become moot soon once all consoles reach photo-realism. I agree with this but personally I don't think it will happen until around 2020. When I play Xbox 360 or PS3 games I see a LOT of room for improvement. I haven't been as impressed as some with their graphics. I am not a programmer so I don't know exactly how to explain it, but the fine detail isn't there in the games. They have a long way to go until the visuals approximate real life.

All this means is that if Sega is going to release a new console, hardware is going to be paramount. This leads to high production costs. There is no way Sega in its current form can absorb the losses that will be necessary to roll out a new high-powered console. They don't have the money to lose a millions upon millions of dollars like M$ or Sony. It can be done, but it would definitely involve a partnership or takeover by a bigger company.

The games themselves must also be considered. As of now, Sega has no console-selling games. Obviously they publish for multiple platforms, but even if you took their best games and made them exclusives, we're still not talking about titles that will sell the amount of consoles necessary to make the new system a success. This problem can also be overcome, but I don't know if the Sega of today can do it. What they really need is a new Sonic game that is absolutely sensational. Sonic is really the only franchise they have that everyone still recognizes. Someone else said it earlier, all those Sega franchises we know and love are not known and loved by the masses, except Sonic. The killer Sonic app and at least 3 other phenomenal Sega games per year plus excellent 3rd party support is the prerequisite.

Even that might not be enough. Sega really needs to create the perfect storm to complete. DLC would be a huge boon to the new system. Sega does have seemingly endless classic titles which should all be available to download to the new system. I'm talking every Sega-made title from Master System to Dreamcast. It would also be nice to include their older arcade games. While these titles are off the radar of the masses, there is still a good percentage of people who do recognize them. These games are already completed products and would be straight profit for Sega.

Additionally the new console must be "cool" to own. While nearly everyone around here is concerned almost exclusively with the games, the masses are not the same. Take Dreamcast vs. PS2 for instance. The Dreamcast has fantastic internal hardware and great games. But if you look at the system and its controllers, it really looks like it's for kids. The PS2 had tons of hype and a cool looking new system that looked like it was ready for serious business. This made the DC look dated and childish and it was easy for a lot of people to drop DC when the PS2 came out. The coolness of the DC faded fast when PS2 was released even though, IMHO, DC had better graphics for quite a while until PS2 developers figured out how to get rid of all the horrific jaggies that system had.

Compare that situation with the Xbox 360 vs. PS3. Xbox 360 looks cool, ready to rock, has great controllers and some great games. Even long after the release of the PS3 it is still cool to own a 360. Even though the PS3 has better graphics and its legions of PS2 fans, 360 is still doing fine. The new Sega machine will need this kind of street cred to keep selling well even when Natal comes out. If the new Sega could weather the Natal release, that would carry it on through to fall 2014 when the new PS4 comes out. A year or two after that Sega would be ready to release yet another console and would be in a great position to complete with the new PS4 and whatever else comes out around then. They just need to remember not to drop support for the previous system like they are now known for.

All of this is fine and good, but do we really need a new Sega system anyway? The Sega that we all know and love is dead. They still release decent games but when was the last time a Sega game was amazing? The glory days of Sega making such spectacular games seems to be gone. I would be extremely surprised to find out that most of the people who made all of those great games still work at Sega. There has been so much of a shakeup at Sega over the past 10 years that the culture they once had is gone. The only thing that really ties the new and the old are the franchises. I would love to see a newcomer to the console wars. I'm not sure I really care if it is Sega except for the opportunities it would bring to DLC. Unless the current staff at Sega have a willingness to show major respect for what Sega meant to gaming culture between 1980 and 2000, I don't think it makes a difference who the newcomer is. But if they ARE willing, I am behind them 100% and would be ecstatic about a new Sega console.

Strawberry (Level 2) JunkTheMagicDragon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    shaftinator84

take a puff from the inhaler and calm down guys. the 'sega zone' or whatever its called is little more than those bootleg n64 controllers with 200 roms on them. sure, it's official, but it's not a prelude to sega's grand comeback or anything. it's an easy way to make some money whoring out their brand name selling nostalgia to cvs shoppers who've forgotten about them for 20 years.

sega doesn't have the money to seriously launch a console against the big boys. take a look at these figures for 09:

revenue
    sega: 1.64B
    nintendo: 20.6B
    sony: 79B
    ms: 58.4B

net income
    sega: 190M
    nintendo: 6.2B
    sony: -1B
    microsoft: 14.5B

if you want a dreamcast 2, buy an og xbox.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Really as far as I am concerned, I would not Sega to come back into hardware until they were strong enough as a company to ditch Sammy.

I believe Sammy has a controlling interest in Sega.

Now I am not saying that Sega does not make its share of bad decsions of course they do. But I am sure Sammy dictates what Sega can and cannot do as well.

Sega today is not the Sega of yesterday. But for me any chance of Sega returning to glory can only happen when they are their own entity and is not at the mercy of a parent company.

Sega is weaksauce until they are strong enough to stand on their own.

Untill Sega is strong enough to stand on its own, they are better off just making software for the time being.

They have to prove with software that they are ready for a leap into hardware and that is not happening currently. It would take a tremendous effort to build up consumer confidence to the point that Sega would feel confident enough to put hardware out.

Do I want it to happen?. Being a huge Sega fan yes. But it would be a disaster if not done properly and would sink the company for good.

At least they are still around in name and could be a contender in the future.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sega isn't coming out with a new console.. period. Its not happening. I feel bad for the guys who still think there is a chance 10 years after they discontinued.
    Last edited by Muscelli; 02-07-2010 at 01:08 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Quote Originally Posted by Muscelli View Post
    Sega isn't coming out with a new console.. period. Its not happening. I feel bad for the guys who still think there is a chance 10 years after they discontinued.
    I dont think its going to happen anytime soon but never say never for the future. Some weird things happen.

20 years ago, the idea of Nintendo losing dominance for 2 generations was ludicrous.
    DERP

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by Muscelli View Post
    Me too.

Does anyone even WANT a system from modern day Sega? Yes, Dreamcast era Sega was glorious, but what have they given us since? Phantasy Star Universe and Shadow the Hedgehog. THAT is the company people are waiting on for new hardware? Isn't three consoles enough of a financial drain?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    Me too.

Does anyone even WANT a system from modern day Sega?
    More than anything. In fact, if they produce a new system and Micro$shaft drops out, it won't even be a dream. I'll be my fantasy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If Sega released a new system, sure, I would order it day one, but I have as much as hope for a new Sega console as I do Shenmue 3 coming out, which is very little.

Of course I have not given up on Sega. I think the company is badass.

Unfortunately, as has been mentioned before, today they are more like Atari. Atari will release plug and plays and flashbacks every now and again, and Sega does the same.

I do have to say though, this will be a good year for Sega. Bayonetta and AvP are going to help them. No, they are not Halo or Super Smash Bros or Madden, but it will at least be a little extra boost for Sega.

Now, even for the scenario that Sega did decide to drop a new console, you better believe that it will never be called Dreamcast 2. That will never happen. Yes, there is an entire generation of gamers under me, but there are still many in my generation that know and remember DC vs PS2. When DC was out super early and PS2 is still releasing games, the masses will take note of that right away.

Also, if Sega was dropping some type of console this year, they would need alot of hype behind it. Whether we like it or not, in this day and age, you can't just drop a system and expect it to sell like hot cakes. Just look at Sonic 4. That game is not coming out until summer and they already have a trailer for it.

Something like a new console, they would really need to amp up the masses to want it and to buy it.

Seeing as we have heard nothing. I don't know, Sega would have to push it pretty hard and start very early in their marketing in order to even make sales, and seeing as how we have heard nothing, there is little to no chance it will happen this year. Possibly next year if they wanted to do it, but I highly doubt it.

As was mentioned before, they just do not have that extra cushion to support the high costs of a new console.

Insert Coin (Level 0) betamax001's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SaturnXmkII

Quote Originally Posted by Zap! View Post
    I always thought Apple would try out the hardware market, but guess not.
    They did. It's called the Pippin.

If Sega did come out with a next gen system, I would buy it if there was a solid line up of games. I really can't imagine they would because the days of console exclusives are pretty much dead. Wii aside, the only big name exclusives that come out for the Xbox 360 or PS3 are the ones Microsoft and Sony come out for. So Sega would have to step it up with their IPs and come out with some stealler games for the new Sega and I will be all over it.
    NES, Atari 7800, Genesis, SNES, Saturn, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, PlayStation 2, GameCube, Atari Flashback 2, Limited Edition Red Wii, PS3 Slim, GBC, GBA, GBASP, DS Lite, and PSP 3000.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I would have loved to see a new Sega console years ago, but not these days.

Arcades are pretty much dead. It's not like the mid to late 90's where Sega and other companies were pumping out classic arcade game after classic arcade game. That's what was so great about owning a Sega system like the Dreamcast. Tons of classic arcade games got ported almost flawlessly.

That was what the Dreamcast brought to the table. It was an arcade at home. Sure, it had some phenomenal original titles too, but no other console (PS2, Xbox, Game Cube) could match the arcade vibe that the DC gave.

Now look at the Arcade scene these days. By comparison there are virtually no new arcade games being made. A new Sega system wouldn't have the same arcadish feel that Sega systems always had. So they would have to rely on mostly original titles. This wouldn't have been a big deal years ago, but most of Sega's key staff members have been gone for quite some time.

Until arcades make a huge resurgence, I wouldn't expect a Sega system to either.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    compute1984

Sega's was always best at bringing the arcade home imo. Have you gone to the arcade recently? Do you want Sega to bring home such greats as "spinny game where you get tickets" and whac-a-mole? Actually, Sammy is all about that stuff so maybe that is the strategy
    See my latest arcade repair at the Holodeck 2 Arcade Repair Blog: http://holodeck2arcade.blogspot.com

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sonicwolf View Post
    I dont think its going to happen anytime soon but never say never for the future. Some weird things happen.

20 years ago, the idea of Nintendo losing dominance for 2 generations was ludicrous.
    More like the idea of Sony going from first place to third place in one.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Sega Zone is not a Sega console. That's like saying the GenMobile is a Sega system. The Sega Zone is obviously made by AtGames. Just because its officially licensed does not make it a Sega console. Its like saying the Radica TV plug and plug Sega games were Sega consoles.
    Stone Age Gamer®
    Gaming De-evolved.™
    www.stoneagegamer.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    robinkom
    PSN
    robinkom

I have to admit, I just signed up on this board because of googling "New Sega Console" and this post being the first result. I love the distinct views from all posters about the prospect of new a Sega console and I was moved enough by some of the heartfelt opinions here to share my own.

I, too, am a massive Sega fan and have been for as long as I can remember. I feel that being a responsible fan means knowing and accepting that the company is not perfect and has made a lot of mistakes over the years. You get over it, move on, and continue to support them in the crusade for better quality titles.

I do love the idea of a new Sega console. Regardless of whether it did well or not, I'd own it... day one. I would get what enjoyment out of it I could and place it next to it's Console cousins (SMS, Genesis, etc.). With those sentiments out of the way, here's a bit of realism....

I doubt it will materialize. Even if it were true, a fall launch date would be doomed before it began. Myself, I work at a Target store and usually work in electronics. We received an email from our distributor that they're not getting anymore Wii consoles in to ship to the stores. As it goes, Nintendo seemingly halted production on the Wii for the time being... supposedly, they're going back to the drawing board to design a spruced up version of it that is to be up to par with the capabilities of Microsoft's Natal.

I bring this up because a feasible Sega console, given their much lower financial resources, would be a low-end machine that could compete with the Wii instead of the 360 and PS3. Worse, if they were to integrate obsolete motion controls, they'd be no better off than Sony's lame-ass Sixaxis motion control. They would be creating a Wii clone of some kind while the Wii is being upgraded to be a Natal-like device.

Just saying that they'd be investing in an obsolete product that will be in 4th place out of the gate.

I had more to add... but its late and I'm falling asleep so I'll post more tomorrow.

Nice to be here, forum-peoples!

Ro

Insert Coin (Level 0) TwinChargers's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ro_TST View Post

I work at a Target store and usually work in electronics. We received an email from our distributor that they're not getting anymore Wii consoles in to ship to the stores. As it goes, Nintendo seemingly halted production on the Wii for the time being.

Ro
    Um, this is pretty big news, isn't it?
    These pretzels are making me thirsty!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    robinkom
    PSN
    robinkom

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by TwinChargers View Post
    Um, this is pretty big news, isn't it?
    Yes, I'm wondering how this will affect yet-to-come titles like the new Zelda that is supposed to use the Motion Plus attachment.

Back to Sega's "new" console though...

In the hypothetical situation, as hinted by all of these SAMMY reports, that they were to create a casual console that would go head-to-head with Nintendo, what draw would they have besides their back catalog and exclusive first-party titles? I mean, for us Sega fans, that's usually enough but if they wanted to make a dent in Nintendo's armor, they need some kind of gimmick to grab the attention of the masses like the motion controls.

Whatever that would be, I can't even begin to fathom. I'm thinking more about first-party titles that it could have... some more classic franchise rebirths that aren't ruined like Golden Axe Beast Rider. Would love to finally get a new Streets of Rage/Bare Knuckle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If Sega brings out a new System, Let it play DC games

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ro_TST View Post
    We received an email from our distributor that they're not getting anymore Wii consoles in to ship to the stores. As it goes, Nintendo seemingly halted production on the Wii for the time being... supposedly, they're going back to the drawing board to design a spruced up version of it that is to be up to par with the capabilities of Microsoft's Natal.
    Are you able to post that email here? This needs to be verified.