Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it wrong that I like Pac-Man for the Atari 2600?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I liked it as a kid--my grandmother and I would play it. Now that I think of it, I didn't really ever complain about any game I got. Also, it was a HUGE deal in the NES era when you were able to even RENT video games from our local video stores (even Radio Shack). It really was a case of availability. You didn't complain because it was all you had. Even in my teen years, where you're critical of EVERYTHING for no reason, I remember thinking Jerry Glanville's Pigskin Footbrawl was a fun game because my friends and I would laugh at the sound effects and the troll. I didn't follow gaming in college '94-'99 and then bought a PSOne after renting WWF Smackdown. Now that I think about it, I didn't start being overly critical of games until I started looking at sites like Gamespot, and even then I disagreed with most of their reviews. I guess, in this world, being brought up a game "scavenger" has taught me to appreciate more than hate. Granted, it's easier to love retroactively. I guess if I have or try a game I don't really like, I'm more apt to say: "Meh, it's not really my thing." I do find the AVGN entertaining however, but in an MST3K kind-of-way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    hawtxdawg360

Quote Originally Posted by MissingNo_1231 View Post
    Is it wrong that I like Pac-Man for the Atari 2600?

Yes. You, sir, and everyone in this thread who agrees with you, are abominations to humanity and at bare minimum should be banned posthaste!

Nah, not really.

2600 Pac-Man isn't that bad of a game, but it sure as hell ain't that good, either.

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Man, people will find anything to bitch about.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've spent a little more time with it than I thought I would, but it's still terrible.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

This is the age of the whiny internet where anything that isn't perfect becomes a "meme" games like atari pacman and et, as well as nes hydlide deadly towers and super pitfall, all of which are excellent games (despite hardware/programing limitations) for thier time are picked on by people who in most cases never played them when they were new.

Pacman was the first game I owned as a kid, and in fact other then number munchers/oregon trail was the first game I really played, and frankly I thought it was awesome...sure when I eventually played the real arcade version it was quite a bit different, but the 2600 game had just about everything the arcade did, it was tough...had 4 ghosts...had the little energy thing that lets you eat the ghosts...and even had the "vitamin" in the middle of the board. it got hours and hours of fun from me and my family, and is still enjoyable to play today, The sound effects are the most recognized sound effect in video games ever (tied with donkey kong atari). Pac-man and et certainly didn't cause the crash, you can blame that on garbage like attack of the beefsteak tomatoes....horrible metoo games released in droves.

is neither blue nor fast thom_m's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Pac-Man is one of the 2600 classics around here. It's the only version of it a LOT of people played - for, as I said somewhere here, evenn though videogaming is not a part of brazilian culture as it seems to be in the US, the VCS is a HUGE 80s childhood icon in brazil, cherished even by those who never played videogames again.

So sure, now I know it's a crappy conversion, but it's the Pac-Man we brazilians grew up with, and learned to love. Like celticjobber and shopkins, I was surprised with all the hate for it. And I still want to get myself a copy again.
    Blowing on cartridges since 1987

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

I love both versions. Obviously the original version has a fond memory. For me, it was the Atari game that was in my possession for cheap(at a yard sale when I was 10 for $1). It was a part of my childhood. It was part of my atari experience. Back then it was entertainment from hearing my family fight. Now, it is nostalgia that reminds me that all of my childhood didnt suck.

And now I am going to go into my game room and play a game
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Did I hear the music for the 2600 version of Pac-Man in "The Wrestler"? Or was it the two-screen DK game?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smile

yes!!
    In yo face!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

I found the 2600 version to detract from the natural allure of the original arcade game of Pac Man. Its just hideous and badly executed.
    DERP

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

I too am a fan of the 2600 version. At the time I was also a fan of the arcade version, and later I learned to freakin love Jr. pac-man on the 2600.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    gamelord2000

I thought the game was really fun back then. I loved it, but then again I think I played the 2600 version before I played the arcade one. Now E.T. on the other hand, just plain sucked.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh you fiend.

I say we all suggest the worst games imaginable for you to try.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

2600 Pac-Man is perfectly playable. I think if the mazes had been the same colors as the arcade game, people would have a less violent reaction to it.

Some people act like 2600 Ms. Pac-Man is SO much better. It IS better, of course, but is it really much more of an accurate representation of the arcade version than the first one was?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

Quote Originally Posted by shopkins View Post
    Nah, it's not wrong. We knew it was different than the arcade when I was a kid, but we still had a lot of fun with it regardless. I was surprised to enter the Internet age and realize there was so much hate for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by CelticJobber View Post
    Same here, I was shocked to learn that it was so widely hated online.
    Count me in too. I always thought for a long time this was a herald game on the Atari 2600… at least in my community. Then on the internets, it was different. Hate for Pac-Man was up there with hate for ET (which my family regret getting that game lol )

Atari's plan have worked on my family. My mother buy my sister her 2600 because of this game. I played it as a child but really don't get into games as I was around the age of 7 and was more interested in toys like Star Wars and GI Joe (Transformers weren't even out yet). My mother and my sister have spend many hours to play this game back then and they love it… When I get my NES in 1987, my mother ask if there was a Pac-Man game for it and we would get one a year later…

In other things, I cannot play regular Pac-Man(any version) any longer after discovering Pac-Man CE on the Xbox 360. CE is video game drugs and I am an addict.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nothing wrong with that, I enjoy 2600 Pac Man, too. It's a solid game, even if it doesn't look like the arcade game.

According to "Once Upon Atari" the original was done in 2K. Todd Frye went to management several times saying if they'd give him more space he could do a better version, but Atari wanted it to be as cheap as possible. I think it's a pretty impressive technical achievement. The subsequent versions (and Ms Pac Man) had more ROM space to work with so it's not surprising they look and play better.
    If you can't do it with 8 bits, you don't need to do it!

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

It was our family's favorite game back in the good old days. We didn't care if it looked like the arcade game or not, we just had a ton of fun playing it.

I know my mom and I would play it all afternoon during rainy summer days, she was able to hit about 275,000 I got to about 325,000.
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BydoEmpire View Post
    According to "Once Upon Atari" the original was done in 2K. Todd Frye went to management several times saying if they'd give him more space he could do a better version, but Atari wanted it to be as cheap as possible. I think it's a pretty impressive technical achievement. The subsequent versions (and Ms Pac Man) had more ROM space to work with so it's not surprising they look and play better.
    Not QUITE right... They gave him 4K, but he wanted 8K. And yes, Ms. Pac-Man got 8K, and that's why it looks so much better.

But there have been a couple Pac-Man games done in 4K that prove that it could have been more like the arcade. Of course, the authors had more example code and time to work with than Frye did, so that may not be entirely fair.
    Russ Perry Jr, 2175 S Tonne Dr #114, Arlington Hts IL 60005
    Got any obscure game stuff?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I live in rural Newfoundland. I never really experienced an an aracde untill about the mid 90's. So all these Atari, NES, SMS, Genesis "arcade ports" I had grown up playing I never did play the arcade originals for.
    Pac-Man being one of them.
    I grew up like so many other kids with Pac-Man for the 2600 and thinking Pac-Man was so cool and he was easy to draw so bonus!
    Didn't know that the REAL Pac-Man was much better.
    Early 90's roll around and a friend of mine gets the pirate 31-1 cart for the NES (which was surprisingly popular here in NL I remember many people having it, as well as the 42-1 cart) and it had Pac-Man on it, though I believe it was called Goblin (? correct me if I'm wrong). And we were confused. We assumed since they changed the name, they also had the change the game, due to the fact it was a pirate, or something...
    Then as the years pass I'm not sure when, I think it might have been MS:Return Of Arcade on the PC that showed me, Wow, so what I know as Goblin (?) is really Pac-Man and what I know as Pac-Man is... Shyte?
    hmmm..

Summation
    2600 Pac-Man. Playable game. I guess worth the time and money you sunk into it in the 80s, but worthy of being called Pac-Man? No. if ever there was a cheap pirate knockoff, the 2600 version shoulda been it.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Quote Originally Posted by slapdash View Post
    Of course, the authors had more example code and time to work with than Frye did, so that may not be entirely fair.
    I think 'not entirely fair' is an understatement. The only way to *really* see if it would have been possible would be to totally duplicate the environment at the time, and that just can't happen.

Based on what we know now, I think the game is a fantastic achievement, and is proof that knowing what goes on behind the scenes totally changes my opinion on things.
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end