Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: who owns any unreleased undumped games

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

THE LEGAL SCREEN HAS 10 words REMOVED ! OMGITISCORRUPT!

Yeah. I am sure that is going to cause the game to be corrupt and no one to want it. Wow.

Unreleased games are normally bad. Some people think MTIPP is great, so can't use that argument.

Hellfire, did you not read where I said I have NOTHING cheap? Why would I sell unreleased protos cheap? If you have no money, I have no idea where this is going with you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DreamTR View Post
    THE LEGAL SCREEN HAS 10 words REMOVED ! OMGITISCORRUPT!

Yeah. I am sure that is going to cause the game to be corrupt and no one to want it. Wow.

Unreleased games are normally bad. Some people think MTIPP is great, so can't use that argument.

Hellfire, did you not read where I said I have NOTHING cheap? Why would I sell unreleased protos cheap? If you have no money, I have no idea where this is going with you.

I ment protos of something that was accualy released, Im really interested in buying a jet moto prototype or beta, do you have any jet moto protos?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nope, I sold almost all of my disk protos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Damn DreamTR, I really do not know how you can take all of this bullshit, after so many long years of doing so. Props to ya.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Quote Originally Posted by hellfire View Post
    I ment protos of something that was accualy released, Im really interested in buying a jet moto prototype or beta, do you have any jet moto protos?
    Perhaps if you start a new topic as the title is a bit misleading. It is clear you aren't in the market for unreleased undumped prototypes. Before you ask for any more titles...Sniderman wants to know How much do you have to spend? $5 ? $10 ? more ? less ?

Pachuka - You talk about Dream and how he should not care what happens to the ROM after he releases it. Why should he care if someone were to take the rom and sell copies. Yet the other settences you post all have to do with YOU caring a whole heck of a lot about the way Dream released a crappy game you have no intention of playing anyway. If it is indeed a "who cares" case then really WHO CARES ??

What is the core to this beef as I don't get it.

If someone bids on a $300 repo on eBay who cares as they should have done their homework but if forum members want to chip in and release a ROM THEN it is a probelm? Shouldn't they have done their homework? At least they aren't being lied to where on ebay it is often a lie. The forum members may have bought swampland in your eyes but they were told exactly what they were getting. What is worse is that NONE of them are complaining it is the people who didn't chip in that are complaining about the people who did !

Makes no sense.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

TRM: I think it's just a bunch of naive people over the years. Their age usually stays around the same, but as they get older, they start to realize how silly they are being. What I really don't understand is why my name is the one in the middle of this mostly. I don't even have a website saying what I have with pics or anything, and when a lot of stuff is released through lost levels, drx, and others, somehow I am still a horder or bad guy, which turns into profiteer now. It's not like I am making money from these games..I should just leave everything in a box and really horde everything like people say I do, but it's simple economics here as to why I'm not going to give away something for nothing.

There's a ton of hypocrisy about these games when repros show up too. If someone makes copies of a proto (20 or 30 of them in a limited run) and one of the repro site makers release their own, somehow the person who originally made repros thinks he has a right to the exclusivity of that game even if it is someone else's work!

Once it is out of my hands, it's out of my hands, but at the very least, I'm more against pirating than anything else and seriously, the Atari 2600 prototype market and even regular market can be out of hand for high end stuff, whereas the NES one is not like that, but the more repro stuff that gets put out there WILL confuse people. You can do your research all you want, but someone is going to get burned.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewCallis View Post
    My 2 cents:
    (I've made a similar connection before...)

Let's say I have a game, cost me $1,000 or so, and I give away a ROM image. Let's say you have a game that cost you $800 and you would like to keep it to yourself, but you share pictures and knowledge or whatever. The first is simply philanthropy and the 2nd is an item in a private collection.

The same goes for art, I buy a painting for let say, $12,000 dollars, and I give it to a local university or museum collection. Let's now say you bought a painting for $1,000,000 dollars and hang it in your home. The first is simply philanthropy and the 2nd is an item in a private collection.

Then...

The museum sells tickets to see the painting and what do I get? $0. Why would I do that and not sell it to them? Personal decision, mine being I wanted my name on a little bronze plaque quietly placed under the work. They sell prints, the image is used in countless books, magazines, etc. I got: $0.

You kept you painting in your home, and perhaps had it digitized and sold its use to textbooks, magazines, who ever might want it. Why would I do that and not sell it to them? Personal decision, this time being motivated by the need to donate a new building to a local free health center. What do you get? $$$$$$ for your health center, your house payments, to put your child through college, to buy a whore or get high. It's your money.
    Yeah, but if you're planning on donating something just to get recognition, it better be one hell of a ROM image. The only person I can think of who achieved said fame off a ROM was Simon Wai for the Sonic 2 Prototype. And that was some serious groundbreaking shit for a really popular game. If someone found a prototype of FF7 with totally different levels and shit and leaked a ROM of it onto the internet, they would become famous. But if someone found a copy of Shaq-Fu or Sword of Sodon that had totally different levels in it, nobody would give a flying fuck about it.

Really, I wouldn't call donating Philanthropy all the time...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't really care if some text is changed or not, it's a non issue to me. But you're fooling yourself if you think it's going to stop anybody from making repros and selling them as legit betas.

Look at the Bio Force Ape thread, people were offing thousands of dollars for a cart that never existed. It's human nature, and like Buyatari said, people are selfish.

I used to watermark the images on my website so people couldn't steal them and put them on ebay as their own. Then people like pachuka came buy and wiped the watermarks anyway. If someone is determined to scam a collector, the sad reality is that there's nothing you can do to stop it. Hell, there are already 4 different versions of the punch out 2 rom with your titlescreen mod removed.

If you're having nintendo age change the title screen to help advertise their site, there's nothing wrong with that. They paid $1,500, why not advertise?

I was saying the other day, you should ride that gravy train as long as you can. I can't imagine the community at nintendo age can afford to spend $500-1500 dollars on too many proto games only to find out they're mostly garbage.One thing i've learned over the years, unreleased games are unreleased for a reason. And betas weren't released as-is for a reason

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well shit, if we're all dollah dollah bill yo, let's go all out! =P

Where is a good place to have PCBs made?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's been more than one Sonic 2 proto dumped, too.. The last one on drx's site came through me....

Also, that watermark...they would need to reinsert the info 100% as opposed to just removing it....it at least acts as a deterrent, and it's the only thing I have.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DreamTR View Post
    There's been more than one Sonic 2 proto dumped, too.. The last one on drx's site came through me....

Also, that watermark...they would need to reinsert the info 100% as opposed to just removing it....it at least acts as a deterrent, and it's the only thing I have.
    If i were selling it on ebay, why would i even need to show that screen? Maybe that screen isn't included in this "fake" proto.

Hell, i can build an NES game in about a week at this point, i already have the engine setup. I could easily make a couple of "incomplete" games in a few weeks. All i have to do is say i bought them from a friend who used to work for some magazine and nobody would question me. Make a couple grand each that way.

Imagine i weren't honest about the Bio Force Ape game Brat and I are making. Imagine we were trying to scam someone (even you). We could easily have made the game in secret, presented it as a prototype and sold it for $8,000-10,000. All i'd have to do is say i've been searching for the game for years and finally tracked down one of the programmers who still had a copy. Hell, i could even claim i wasn't taking any of the profit but was selling it for him.

Nobody would ever know...

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ProgAce: I know people cancome up with elaborate hoaxes but I'm not one of the big players anymore, I would just sit back and watch...people at that point can say anything about anything that can be scammed. I am just doing it as one style of deterrent. Regardless, nothing was changed on the gameplay on Tyson...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Buyatari View Post
    you can have this one for $1250.oo

Shadowhawk for SNES comes with a letter from an Image Comics employee
    Woah, Shadowhawk exists as a game? Does the character also have AIDS in the game, with a slowly decreasing lifebar?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Glad to see this thread finally spiral out of control into another hoarder thread. I'm going to continue buying protos and doing whatever I want with them, most others should just do the same. Either spend the money or shut the fuck up, it's as simple as that. If you don't pony up the cash for the protos, you are still more than entitled to your own opinion, and I'm still not going to give a shit. People are going to give dream shit for as long as people are interested in protos and its a damn shame. If you want him to do something different with his protos, that's great, just buy the game off of him and do whatever you want with it. I bought 2 unreleased games from him recently and I couldn't be happier, he is one of the easiest people to deal with and follows through very quickly with deals.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    If i were selling it on ebay, why would i even need to show that screen? Maybe that screen isn't included in this "fake" proto.

Hell, i can build an NES game in about a week at this point, i already have the engine setup. I could easily make a couple of "incomplete" games in a few weeks. All i have to do is say i bought them from a friend who used to work for some magazine and nobody would question me. Make a couple grand each that way.

Imagine i weren't honest about the Bio Force Ape game Brat and I are making. Imagine we were trying to scam someone (even you). We could easily have made the game in secret, presented it as a prototype and sold it for $8,000-10,000. All i'd have to do is say i've been searching for the game for years and finally tracked down one of the programmers who still had a copy. Hell, i could even claim i wasn't taking any of the profit but was selling it for him.

Nobody would ever know...
    Sure it CAN be done. A right click disable can be circumvented on your ebay photos and so can watermarks on your photos. BUT it makes it harder. It will stop SOME of the people. If someone really wants to break into my house at night they can but I'm still locking the doors !!

I think those that can't see it has to come from not collecting the physcial carts. To you all of the goodness is in the ROM and the cart a vessel to collectors most of the value but not all of it is in the ROM. The cart still has some dollar value. Being the greedy hording type we hold on to that value if we can
    Last edited by Buyatari; 05-23-2009 at 07:53 PM.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Evil Horde Evil Horde Gobble Gobble Horde

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PapaStu said something that i think hits the nail on the head here. We have an entire generation of people who have grown up able to get any song, movie or video game for free. For the last 10 years, you've been able to grab a set of roms that includes ever game in the SNES library. You can play them on your PC, on any one of a number of portables or on you TV. There are even flash carts you can get to play them into the original consoles.

So you have a generation of people who can play whatever game they want, whenever they want for free. And now they've found that people actually own games that they can't play. They don't know how to handle it. They can have every other game on the planet, why can't they play these? They don't own carts for all the other roms they have, so why should the fact they don't own these betas prevent them from playing those?

It's only going to get worse as time goes on...

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PA: I used to refer to them as "ROM kiddies" because in all honestly, they don't collect. If you really think about it, how many of the people always asking for ROMS and expecting free shit collect games like I do. Even at the smallest of levels? Most of the bigger proto collectors just want one of a kinds, but to be chastised by people that don't understand is way funny.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Honestly, i've given up on collecting software unless it's something really out of the ordinary. I'll stick with hardware, nobody expects me to dump hardware. Well, at least nobody sane...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, you know what, I feel like i learned a lot about the collector mind, and I think the collector's got a bit closer to seeing things through the eyes of the more digitally minded folks. This thread got a bit rude now and again, but to a much smaller degree, and I'm really happy about that. So, since this stalemate is a bit stale and cliche, how about we let it get back on track as the creator of it wished, and take what we learned about each other and relax. This crap gets a bit exhausting. I'll just state I respect the collector aspect, and the people who have that mentality. We just have different opinions, and opinions make people hostile. But when we meet in the middle, we find much less irritating communications. Wtf, pretending to be all profound and shit. I'm getting too old to argue on the internet, what to do with my life now?