ONE TO GROW ON!

*catchy jingle*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Back from the show. Check out www.ccagshow.com for pics if you were not there.

Almost forgot to bring the unreleased games. Almost. But I did bring them. Showed them off and again no one cared. No one wanted to play them. However there was some good news a ripped label mystery sega cart saw some love this year and was sold. I don't think I'll bring them anymore. People just don't care.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What games did you bring? Maybe they weren't interesting enough

Or you needed a huge sign that said UNRELEASED GAMES YOU'LL NEVER SEE THESE ANYWHERE ELSE

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Buyatari View Post

Almost forgot to bring the unreleased games. Almost. But I did bring them. Showed them off and again no one cared. No one wanted to play them. However there was some good news a ripped label mystery sega cart saw some love this year and was sold. I don't think I'll bring them anymore. People just don't care.
    I brought a bunch of prototype hardware and dev kits to MGC this year. Some people cared, but there really wasn't much interest. Considering some stuff got banged up on the way, there's no way i'm doing that again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Interesting discussion here. Honestly I don't even see why this is such a hot subject. I agree with DreamTR, if you own the proto it's yours to do whatever the hell you want with it, and it's perfectly acceptable to watermark any release to protect your own investment.

Don't know why people think it's selfish to want to do this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That surprises me, as I was always under the impression that this sort of convention was targeted primarily at collectors, who might be interested in checking out some of the unreleased games. Oh well, probably a misconception on my part.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can seriously count the "prototype" collectors as less than 10 or so. People really do not care much (collectors) and the ones who do want the ROM because if it's not available anywhere else, that's where the basic supply/demand cause comes about raising the price of said item.

There is a possibility I "should" be getting a pile more stuff soon, but said parties usually take awhile to ship, so we'll see how that goes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Quote Originally Posted by TRM View Post
    That surprises me, as I was always under the impression that this sort of convention was targeted primarily at collectors, who might be interested in checking out some of the unreleased games. Oh well, probably a misconception on my part.
    No I think you are right. I think it was mostly collectors. I just think that collectors were looking for a deal on Chrono Trigger etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Wow, this is the first I heard of that whole Mike Tyson Power Punch thing. That's hilarious - I think I have an old copy myself - and I can say for sure I played it first
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yeah, I had a similar experience at CGE 2003. I bought a booth just to show off unreleased games and promote my lost levels site, and while there was SOME interest, it was a lot smaller than I thought it would be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Quote Originally Posted by TheRedEye View Post
    Yeah, I had a similar experience at CGE 2003. I bought a booth just to show off unreleased games and promote my lost levels site, and while there was SOME interest, it was a lot smaller than I thought it would be.
    I had some interest on AA after the show (see the CCAG thread). We might get a table for the fall set up with just unreleased games and obscure systems to play. If you have something you want us to pass out to promote your site we can have these there as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheRedEye View Post
    It surprises me too.

On my website, the unreleased section probably accounts for 50% of my traffic. A couple of weeks ago, one of the developers of the game Eurit emailed me thanking me for making the binary available and for covering the game. Even if a binary is not available, I think there is a large amount of people who do appreciate reading information about these games that never were meant to be.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The problem with most of those shows for me is A. Location and B. Not finding out about them until after they happen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Quote Originally Posted by Evan_G View Post
    It surprises me too.

On my website, the unreleased section probably accounts for 50% of my traffic. A couple of weeks ago, one of the developers of the game Eurit emailed me thanking me for making the binary available and for covering the game. Even if a binary is not available, I think there is a large amount of people who do appreciate reading information about these games that never were meant to be.
    I really think that in general the people who amass ROMs and those who horde the physical carts are two different people. So at a show for physical cart collectors few might care but if some ROM collectors found out prior to the show they might come out and see them. I dunno. Just a guess.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really think that in general the people who amass ROMs and those who horde the physical carts are two different people. So at a show for physical cart collectors few might care but if some ROM collectors found out prior to the show they might come out and see them. I dunno. Just a guess.
    Of course, if I had the time and money, I would come out to see your games in order to take pictures and get impressions. I don't have the money, which is why I have decided not to really get involved in this conversation. I've gone through about 20 different prototype ROM images for my site, and I appreciate those people who have let me document them for my website, and I hope others enjoyed it.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

can we have this locked please, I will go proto hunting when I have the money and complete seriousness to do so

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mods please lock this, I dont want to cause any trouble and I would appreciate it if this thread was locked

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't have Mod powers in this forum, so I can't lock it. However, the thread had been kind of forgotten and was moving off the main page - until you bumped it to the top with this request. If I were you, I would have sent a private message to a mod asking that it be closed rather than shooting it right back to the top of the forum with a public post in the thread.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sniderman View Post
    If I were you, I would have sent a private message to a mod...
    Not necessary. If you want a thread that you started locked...

Click on the thread in question and click on Thread Tools. You should see an option for "Close Thread" underneath 'Moderation Tools'. Click the button that says 'Perform Action'.

The more you know indeed.