Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: New PS3 Slim coming out this September...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I did initially expected to see a PSthree somewhere down the line, but then this is the first time Sony haven't been leading the race.

Considering the huge costs of re-tooling the PS3 factories to produce a new version of the machine, it's really only possible if it's financially viable. Maybe Sony have found a way to reduce production costs massively and turn that current $40 loss per console into $50 profit on a $300 machine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

First of all, that's ugly and unprofessional looking. I doubt its real, and rumors coming from places like reliable GameStop employees just reinforces my believe that its a hoax.

Second, why do people think this is a case for some pirated system that won't play PS3 games? If a pirate is going to try to cash in on the success of a console, they at least try to make it look like that system. This doesn't make a shred of sense that it would be a pirated console that is trying to disguise itself as a fake redesign of the PS3.

Lastly, just in case its real, I'm glad I already bought a PS3. I happily waited and bought the redesigned versions of their first two consoles since they were superior in terms of their appearance and reliability, but this thing is awful. I'd rather buy a used console for more money than that thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

The more I think about this, the more that this is probably real. This I feel is what SONY should be doing with their system. They need to reinvent the PS3, what a better way to do that than to make a leaner and meaner version of it. With E3 just weeks away, what a better way of promoting this. If they were able to make a cost effective PS3 that was able to retain some features(would be nice to at least have the ability to play PS2 games), and offer a package for $300 or less, this could be the shot in the arm that Sony needs. I think we all can agree that they need to do something, and this looks like it could be a good move.....if it is real and IF the redesign is a quality one.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
    Second, why do people think this is a case for some pirated system that won't play PS3 games? If a pirate is going to try to cash in on the success of a console, they at least try to make it look like that system. This doesn't make a shred of sense that it would be a pirated console that is trying to disguise itself as a fake redesign of the PS3.
    Given how many famiclones look like PlayStations and PSOnes, it really wouldn't surprise anyone. Nevermind Dr. Ashen and his reviews of cheap LCD games that look like the PSP and DS. There's even one that looks like a tiny PS3.

But even if this is real... well, Sony has made this console look as ugly as possible and this new model doesn't help. No tonly is the PS3 the most expensive system of the current gen, but it's also the least attractive, in terms of it's basic shape. They can do MUCH better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

That's my entire point...

They made clones that looked like something else in order to fool unsuspecting consumers.

They didn't go out and reinvent the wheel by making a fake redesign of something else. If this was a poor effort by a pirate somewhere, it would at least look like a PS3.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 05-15-2009 at 10:11 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It depends on what happens, I mean it could happen but i don't think this year we will see a PS3 slim but probably early next year though I am positive we will see at least a 299 PS3 if not lower than that in the next couple months.
    Last edited by Lothars; 05-16-2009 at 03:50 AM.

"With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's my entire point...

They made clones that looked like something else in order to fool unsuspecting consumers.

They didn't go out and reinvent the wheel by making a fake redesign of something else. If this was a poor effort by a pirate somewhere, it would at least look like a PS3.
    It sort of does... I doubt most piraters will go buy a PS3 solely to strip it for the case to cast a mold from. It's cheaper to make something from scratch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

No, it doesn't. We're talking about things that aren't going to be made in someone's spare time in their garage for a few extra dollars. I doubt the cost of a PS3 is going to make a pirate decide they're going to make a fake redesign of it.

When pirates copy a consoles design, they copy it. That's why we have things such as Famicoms in what appears to be a Playstation casing and so on.

This doesn't make any sense, I'm not sure why people think it does and then provide examples like the one I just did to back it up when its not the same. A pirated console that does something like play Super Famicom cartridges that's disguised as a PS3 is going to look like a PS3. Otherwise, the entire purpose of making it look like something else is defeated. A pirate isn't going to launch a fake redesign of a console.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    hawtxdawg360

When pirates copy a consoles design, they copy it. That's why we have things such as Famicclones in what appears to be a Playstation casing and so on.
    Edited for accuracy.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No, it doesn't. We're talking about things that aren't going to be made in someone's spare time in their garage for a few extra dollars. I doubt the cost of a PS3 is going to make a pirate decide they're going to make a fake redesign of it.

When pirates copy a consoles design, they copy it. That's why we have things such as Famicoms in what appears to be a Playstation casing and so on.

This doesn't make any sense, I'm not sure why people think it does and then provide examples like the one I just did to back it up when its not the same. A pirated console that does something like play Super Famicom cartridges that's disguised as a PS3 is going to look like a PS3. Otherwise, the entire purpose of making it look like something else is defeated. A pirate isn't going to launch a fake redesign of a console.
    I have just about had it with this forum. I post a thread thread with ltos of good stuff and it's ignored. I get yelled at for much any little thing. I am wasting my fucking time here!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    hawtxdawg360

Quote Originally Posted by Diosoth View Post
    I have just about had it with this forum. I post a thread thread with ltos of good stuff and it's ignored. I get yelled at for much any little thing. I am wasting my fucking time here!
    Save the drama for the soaps.

Posts made even hinting that you wish to quit are taken seriously by the mod team, so if you really want to leave, don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Diosoth View Post
    I yelled at you? I'm just having a good time on a discussion board that just happens to include not agreeing with you. I'm sorry if it came off any other way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by ErmangelnSeelen View Post
    why would they put the logo on the bottom of the console? It reminds me of a knockoff more than anything...
    Remember, the PS3 is also designed to be used in the upright position, like the X360 and Wii, so the bottom would actually become the side like the PS2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

GameSpot is thinking it might be a pirate knock off after all. So I reserve the right to be wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

More images have surfaced. So, um, yeah this is real then.

Should be a very interesting E3 from Sony. PSthree and PSP Go!....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Not bad looking now that its a better view of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The question is, if it is real, then what have they sacrificed in order to make it slimmer and inevitably cheaper?

That said, they did a fantasic job in regards to the PStwo, by not only making it two thirds smaller, but by actually cramming MORE into it than the original model (Ie, the Network Adapter), although this did come at a price - There was no iLink port, and also no hard drive bay (So you can't play FFIX on the Slimline PStwo as far as I know)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Just imagine if they brought back PS2 compatibility...

This is starting to look a little less hoaxy.

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/ne...ngadget/?biz=1

Someone, somewhere is trying hard to make those pics unavailiable to the public.

If it was just some person making it up, why would someone take such legal measures?
    Last edited by Sonicwolf; 05-21-2009 at 03:32 AM.
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    walrusmonger
    PSN
    walrusmonger

Anaylists have always said (at least more than one) that they felt the PS3 would come out on top. Home theater people already go with the PS3, but with a slimmer/sexier/cheaper PS3, anyone with an HDTV would be nuts not to pick it up as a blu ray player.

Hopefully this is real- I love my PS3 and would love for more devs to work on it, it's really untapped.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by walrusmonger View Post
    anyone with an HDTV would be nuts not to pick it up as a blu ray player.
    Mainstream Blu Ray players have been less than half the cost of PS3's since before last Christmas. The idea of the PS3 being a cheap Blu Ray player hasn't been accurate for more than a year.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)