Thread: Activision Anthology on GBA

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    lazyhoboguy

Default Activision Anthology on GBA

I absolutely love this game. It has like 50 atari games/ homebrew games/ and a few unfinished games in it. I never owned an atari so this is great for me, especially since it saves high scores. I was wondering though what you gamers that played these games on atari thought. Like, if using the control pad is a completely different experience then using the original joysticks. I find for some games like activision decathlon, the control pad sucks.
    My favorite games so far on the collection are spider fighter, crackpot, beamrider, oink, starmaster, boxing, and dolphin (just played for the first time today).
    youtube= http://www.youtube.com/user/Lazyhoboguy
    blog= www.gamespot.com/users/lazyhoboguy/
    My Game Collection= http://lazyhoboguy.webs.com

PS2 Online and PS2 LAN Tunneling (Xlink Kai) game scheduling site:http://www.ps2onlinegaming.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Does it save high scores when the power's turned off?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't particularly enjoy it, the GBA wasn't quite up to the task of emulating the 2600 and as a result many games like River Raid run slow. However, I think the d-pad is just fine for it (With the obvious exception of Kaboom).

The game has a cartridge save and tracks high scores and patches earned.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    lazyhoboguy

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar View Post
    Does it save high scores when the power's turned off?
    Yep, it even lets u unlock patches to look at once u reach a certain score. Plus game box art and manuals are viewable for every game.

PS2 Online and PS2 LAN Tunneling (Xlink Kai) game scheduling site:http://www.ps2onlinegaming.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    lazyhoboguy

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
    I don't particularly enjoy it, the GBA wasn't quite up to the task of emulating the 2600 and as a result many games like River Raid run slow. However, I think the d-pad is just fine for it (With the obvious exception of Kaboom).

The game has a cartridge save and tracks high scores and patches earned.
    Is stampede one of these games with slowdown? It seems like a great concept but your character moves way too slow up and down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Are you sure they run slow? River Raid runs pretty slow in it's orignial 2600 form too...same with Stampede.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've played many hours of River Raid. Its running significantly slower than it would on 2600 hardware. Some games are almost perfect and are probably running at least at 90% full speed, but many others suffer significantly. Another way to easily pick up on it almost immediately is listen to the sound effects as your refueling. Due to how slow its running, it sounds like the audio is being played back in slow motion. River Raid on the 2600 is my favorite game if that helps to reinforce my statements any.

Here's an excellent example that I think will be immediately obvious to anyone that ever played much Barnstorming (The game turns from a challenge to a cakewalk at the slower speeds its running at in this collection).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99ZOqZQrbXU

Youtube used to have a nice video of River Raid in action on the GBA, but it seems to be MIA.

As for Stampede, the game so quickly becomes impossible (For me at least) that I've never played it much and I'm not really one to ask about the accuracy of the GBA running it. However, the titles that involve scrolling of some sort seem to be the ones that tend to be the slower runners in this compilation, so I suspect Stampede suffers accordingly.

Here are a couple of long threads at AA about this game if anyone wants to learn more about it.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index...sion+Anthology

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index...sion+Anthology

I should add that its a great collection and many of the games remain fun and enjoyable to play despite slower speeds. The quality of the title, inclusion of homebrews, etc., make for a nice package. The slower speeds and frame skip in games like River Raid and HERO are unfortunate and dragged it down for me, but the developers did a admirable job with hardware that is barely able to emulate the 2600. So don't shy away from picking it up if anyone is considering it.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 05-15-2009 at 12:03 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the developers did a admirable job with hardware that is barely able to emulate the 2600.
    Agreed.

Imo, this is the best retro compilation on the GBA. I'm glad that high scores are saved - one of the few flaws of the PS2 version was that they weren't.

The homebrews are also a nice bonus. Dangerboy did the cover art for Climber 5, so make sure to take a look at it.
    Last edited by DigitalSpace; 09-06-2009 at 04:29 PM.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    lazyhoboguy

@leo ames thanks for those atariage links was interesting to read others impressions about it. This is my favorite gba game so far because of the insane amount of replayability. I love how it saves high scores as well and motivates you to keep improving at games. Really cool when you unlock a patch too and that awesome victory music plays.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

This sums up how awesome it is...!

(and yes, playing it is pretty good too, despite the slowdown as mentioned. It's usually stuck in the bottom of my fat DS)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Leo, thanks for the informative writeup. I'm kinda torn too, because River Raid is one of my favorite 2600 games...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

No Pitfall 2
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    No Pitfall 2
    It's on there.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is my name in the credits like it is in the PS2 version? :-)
    Russ Perry Jr, 2175 S Tonne Dr #114, Arlington Hts IL 60005
    Got any obscure game stuff?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

i dunno what you guys are talking about with the gba not being powerful enough to be able to emulate a 2600. a gba can perfectly emulate an NES 100%, among other consoles.

the developers just fucked up with their code/port.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The Atari 2600 is a much more difficult system to emulate. It's not merely a reflection of the power of a console, but the complexity of a system.

The Atari 2600 is one of the most difficult systems to effectively program for, and its been pushed further than just about any other piece of hardware out there, and have had many things like bugs and its many quirks taken advantage of by developers over the years to push it far beyond what it was initially designed to do by playing things like Pong and Tank.

Not only does the program have to emulate a complex piece of hardware architecture (Though just a relatively weak piece of 1970's hardware), it needs to be nearly perfect to correctly run games due to what companies like Activision did by pushing the console to its limits. Also I've been told the video signal makes 2600 emulation more difficult where the hardware is constructing the video signal one scanline at a time, adding a layer of complexity that most console emulation doesn't have to worry about.

The NES architecture is pretty simple and straightforward and not terribly difficult to replicate, and doesn't need to be as accurate since it doesn't draw the picture on the fly. They can use more tricks and short cuts to speed up emulation that can't be used on 2600 emulators due to the architecture of the console and how far developers eventually pushed the hardware.

I'm not a tech guru that's intimately familiar with the 2600's hardware so my answer isn't the best, so hopefully someone else can chime in and do a better job of wording what I was trying to get across.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 05-16-2009 at 09:10 PM.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

The Atari 2600 is a much more difficult system to emulate. It's not merely a reflection of the power of a console, but the complexity of a system.

The Atari 2600 is one of the most difficult systems to effectively program for, and its been pushed further than just about any other piece of hardware out there, and have had many things like bugs and its many quirks taken advantage of by developers over the years to push it far beyond what it was initially designed to do by playing things like Pong and Tank.

Not only does the program have to emulate a complex piece of hardware architecture (Though just a relatively weak piece of 1970's hardware), it needs to be nearly perfect to correctly run games due to what companies like Activision did by pushing the console to its limits. Also I've been told the video signal makes 2600 emulation more difficult where the hardware is constructing the video signal one scanline at a time, adding a layer of complexity that most console emulation doesn't have to worry about.

The NES architecture is pretty simple and straightforward and not terribly difficult to replicate, and doesn't need to be as accurate since it doesn't draw the picture on the fly. They can use more tricks and short cuts to speed up emulation that can't be used on 2600 emulators due to the architecture of the console and how far developers eventually pushed the hardware.

I'm not a tech guru that's intimately familiar with the 2600's hardware so my answer isn't the best, so hopefully someone else can chime in and do a better job of wording what I was trying to get across.
    no shit youre not a tech guru. there are 100% 2600 emulators for the gba, and many other similarly weak/strong system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

There was no halfway decent 2600 emulator for the GBA at the time of this games release, largely due to the underpowered nature of the GBA.

You're saying there is homebrew development in 2600 emulation now for the GBA and its 100% and runs everything (Besides maybe a few exceptions like Pitfall 2) at full speed?

I'm doubtful when these guys didn't achieve it, and homebrew 2600 emulation on the much more powerful DS as of a year or two ago was painfully slow. But it wouldn't surprise me if its been accomplished now, considering how close Aspyr managed to get there in a short development cycle. I'm sure with a bit more optimization and development time, they'd of gotten it close to perfection.

But I suspect you just don't have a clue.

But in the end, I really don't know and don't particularly care since I have no intentions of buying a GBA flashcart and trying it. All I was trying to get across is that the 2600 is a difficult console to emulate and the abilty for a platform to emulate another isn't solely based on how capable the console being emulated is. Nothing more, nothing less. I stand by my statement that 2600 emulation is more difficult than NES emulation, requiring more resources, and is why this wasn't 100% while it can do NES emulation nearly perfectly. If you disagree, it just shows your complete lack of knowledge on the subject.

I suspect anyone that has any technical knowledge in emulation would say, for example, that its much more difficult to emulate the Atari Jaguar than a Sony Playstation. The same thing is taking place in regards to the 2600 and NES.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 11-06-2010 at 06:15 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    lazyhoboguy

I just started playing frostbite on this collection within this past week. That game is so addicting. I hate those damn bears guarding my igloo though!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've been playing the collection quite a bit as well. Despite its flaws, I enjoy keeping it in my DS for something to come back to often (And has the side benefit of keeping dust out of the cartridge slot).