Thread: RGB 9-pin to anything else?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default RGB 9-pin to anything else?

I got a Supergun unit with RGB 9-pin out for video and stereo audio. Does anyone have any suggestions to get video out of this thing into any other format? I'm not picky at all, I really would be happy with a simple pin converion to a useful format or cable configuration. If I find an old monitor with 9-pin in, I'll buy it, but I'm hoping for something to use with a 7201 or (less easily) a VGA monitor.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

d-sub or DIN?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm assuming it's dsub and possibly compatible with the old Commodore monitors. Hard to say without the pinout though. Unfortunately there's never been a real RGB standard in the US.

Mitch

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    I'm assuming it's dsub and possibly compatible with the old Commodore monitors. Hard to say without the pinout though. Unfortunately there's never been a real RGB standard in the US.

Mitch
    I always find it odd when people talk about dsub connectors on commodore monitors, because every one I've ever seen uses din connectors.
    All of my 1084 monitors use 6pin din for analog rgb.
    I wonder if its a regional thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

D-sub? It looks like an Atari joystick 9-pin connector. I have 1702s and none have this connector on the back. Any suggestions?

Is this the connector for old style arcade monitors?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think that what you need is a regular RGB cable. I'll ask the guy building my SG if the SG side of the RGB cable is a 9-pin D-sub, and male or female.

The other end will be RGB that you can plug into an XRGB (or like device) or a monitor with a direct RGB input.

It will almost certainly be Japanese RGB, do NOT use SCART cables if you aren't sure it's not for SCART.

But...Agh, I'm not sure 100% yet. If you're in a hurry, you may post over at Shmups Forum's Hardware section (go here) or NFG Games (go here).

Old-ish Japanese computer monitors (older consumer systems like the MSX2+ and earlier use RCA plugs for television output, and a weird star-shaped RGB plugin for some other monitor I've not seen) like those for the FM Towns (I believe) and the X68000 *are* 9-pin, but it's on this weird two-level format with most of the pins in the shorter row and like three pins on the other. On the back of an X68000 system the ANALOG RGB OUT connector, female, is two rows, one with 8 pins and the other with 7, but the actual monitor I've got, as I said, only has nine pins.

Arcade monitors are wired right up in a harness, and I imagine they get their signals from the JAMMA harness. No D-sub.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

New post break, here's the answer I got back:

It could be for a number of things Im afraid. Different people use different connections for different things on superguns. The only thing that seems to be close to a standard is the 15 pin dsubs use for stick ports. That connector could be for what he says, or it could be for the kick loom for 6 button games. No way of knowing without looking inside Im afraid.
    The guy is Fire-bug on Shmups Forum, and he further replies with this (good news for you!):
    Quote Originally Posted by Fire-bug
    No worries, send him my way if he needs help, it would be relatively cheap and quick to go over his machine and build him the appropriate leads if he needs them
    Last edited by Ed Oscuro; 05-17-2009 at 09:18 AM.

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

There ARE 1084S's that use a 9-pin jack for RGB, though they're much less common. Here's a picture of the back panels of two of my monitors:

It's worth pointing out that the Atari SC1224, meant for an Atari ST, also uses a 9-pin jack.

Thing is though, the chances of it being compatible are a total crap shoot. What you're probably going to have to do is trace the wiring and see what pin is what before you can really ID what the output is supposed to be. For all you know, the guy made a custom pinout and built another custom cable to hook to whatever monitor he had. I wouldn't recommend testing it without knowing it's right... it *shouldn't* be able to damage anything, but it's just not worth the risk.

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If it's got audio running through those pins...and it's a supergun...yeah, it won't be compatible. The SG's builder just wired it up however they pleased. Best trace the lines pins back to their chips (or have somebody else do that) and get a cable made up.

Wouldn't be surprised if plugging it in willy-nilly to various monitors "just for kicks" would damage something, with no real benefit. Nobody makes superguns optimized for 1084s, that I know of at least (which is not to say it doesn't happen, but it'd be really weird).