Thread: Devil Summoner 2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    EMC2INTOSH

Default Devil Summoner 2

Anyone dusting off there PS2's for this game? I purchased this yesterday. I had completely forgot this was coming out and never pre ordered. Fortunately the Gamestop by my house had got 1 copy in so I bought that quickly. So far the game is really fun. The combat is simple but enjoyable and the demon fusing is cool. My only complaint is theres no voice acting at all I wish they would've at least kept the Japanese voices in but other than that the game is great and the package it comes in rocks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I keep hearing that it's leaps and bounds better than the first game, which I really enjoyed. People shit on the combat, but I found it more enjoyable than any of the turn based SMTs. There seems to be a consensus that the writing/localization of the first game kind of blew, which I completely disagree with as well. Loved loved loved the writing/dialog.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll pick it up when they stop packaging it with that plushie. I do not need another over sized collectors box to obsessively keep in immaculate condition. I also don't want a box that takes up the space of 12+ normal DVD sized cases.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Xexyz View Post
    I'll pick it up when they stop packaging it with that plushie. I do not need another over sized collectors box to obsessively keep in immaculate condition. I also don't want a box that takes up the space of 12+ normal DVD sized cases.
    Chuck the box and keep the plushie on the desk (or give it to a nephew/niece/son/daughter)

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

ATLUS failed to have SMT Nocturne with Raidou Kuzunoha as a bonus along with the game like the Japanese fanbase received. I would have bought it first day if they were packaged together. Because of the first game and no SMT Nocturne Raidou Kuzunoha, looks like the only time this game will see my collection is once it inevitably hits 19.99 or less(if I don't get it then no loss to me.)

The first one is so bad with it's incredibly boring story, stiff control in battle, high encounter rate in literally every inch of the world(houses included,) and also the fact that it provides absolutely no challenge. Hence the reason I posted this picture in another thread(pic is below.)

Last edited by kupomogli; 05-16-2009 at 05:48 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Got my copy today from Amazon. Pretty cool packaging...although I've never really cared about such things. Cool or not, it's just getting stuffed in one of my game-related junk boxes down in the basement. Anyway, I'd love to start playing right away but I'm too close to finishing a few games and don't want to start a new one yet. My brain can only handle one RPG at a time.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

Quote Originally Posted by Xexyz View Post
    +1 to this rational man.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I actually preordered it and picked it up on Wednesday. As far as I could tell my Gamestop had two and an employee had bought the other one.

I preordered because ever since playing Persona 3: FES I've been trying to put together a collection of US Tensei-related games. Some of them have been a real bitch to track down, like Digital Devil Saga 2, and I still haven't been able to find affordable copies of the two Playstation Personas yet. I didn't exactly expect this one to be rare, but I did expect it to be rare complete.

I don't know when I'll get to play it. I started my collection after starting Persona 3: FES and I haven't even finished that game yet, so I haven't gotten to play any of the others.

If you don't like the plushie and the big old box, why not throw that shit away? I'm kind of doubtful that there will be a second run.

It would have been nice to have gotten Raidou Nocturne, though, although I think the one we did get had Dante. I'm not sure I would have paid a lot more to buy the game again just to have Raidou and Dante and especially not to have Raidou instead of Dante. It would have been a nice freebie, but it would have sucked if it had been sold as a special editions and added $20 bucks to the cost of the package.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shopkins View Post
    It would have been nice to have gotten Raidou Nocturne, though, although I think the one we did get had Dante. I'm not sure I would have paid a lot more to buy the game again just to have Raidou and Dante and especially not to have Raidou instead of Dante. It would have been a nice freebie, but it would have sucked if it had been sold as a special editions and added $20 bucks to the cost of the package.
    It's worth $20 by far. I'd pay that amount as an extra to have it a second time. Might not be a super great idea because the amount of times Atlus has already rereleased Nocturne it might eventually be worthless like was the case with Disgaea. Except Nocturne is a good game while Disgaea was not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    It's worth $20 by far. I'd pay that amount as an extra to have it a second time. Might not be a super great idea because the amount of times Atlus has already rereleased Nocturne it might eventually be worthless like was the case with Disgaea. Except Nocturne is a good game while Disgaea was not.
    It's worth $20 to you just to have the same game, but with Raidou in it? That's fine. It's just not for me. I'm not much of a reseller guy, so I don't really think about the value of that variant but whether having Raidou in a game I already have would be $20 worth of fun. And it wouldn't. Can you imagine paying that much for it as DLC?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

It's still a different version of the game. That's like people who buy the Substance versions of the Metal Gear games, or people who buy each new FF title even though they have the rest of them. Or most Castlevania fans buying the CV Double Pack with HoD and AoS even though they most likely already have the original games on the same system(Ed and Bloodreign can vouch for that one.) The fact that it's a difference in the game and it's a physical copy is worth the $20. DLC isn't worth a dime to me, but physical content that has a nice change in it, is.

The fact that SMT Nocturne is just that good also adds to that. And SMT3 with Raidou is the more complete version. Just like SMT3 Nocturne Maniacs being a more complete version of SMT3 Nocturne due to Dante and the Labyrinth of Amala added. Thankfully we never got SMT3 and got the Nocturne Maniacs version.

Besides. How do you know that they didn't throw something else in there aside from Raidou just being added. You think he's going to just stand somewhere, you talk to him, and then he's on the party? I'm sure there's something additional added than just Raidou, whether it's storyline with him, a couple boss battles you may have to fight on a sidequest to get him, etc.

Also being a collector's edition with SMT3 would make the likely soon to be extremely rare DS2 far more expensive than it's original price tag. It'd also actually make DS2 worth owning because you have a good game paired along with it. So having it in there, even though paying more, would be worth it, because DS2 wouldn't suck as it'd have a good game in the box.

*edit*

Like the CV Double Pack. What about the NES Classics collection for GBA, or any port at all that you may happen to pick up on another system? Yggdra Union and Riviera on the GBA ported over to the PSP. The graphics being a bit better are the only difference but they're pretty much exactly the same. I'm certain you own more than one copy of the same game, atleast on a different system, or if you don't you probably did.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 05-16-2009 at 09:27 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    Chuck the box and keep the plushie on the desk (or give it to a nephew/niece/son/daughter)
    I just can't bring myself to dispose of additional packaging. Ever since I foolishly recycled 40 some odd GBA boxes back in 2003 (took up too much space...) I vowed to never throw out another game box again, even if it's a special edition over cart like this is. Oh man, you don't know how much I regret chucking boxes for Ninja Five-O, Shining Force: Ressurection of the Dark Dragon, and Tactics Ogre: The Knights of Lodis into the blue bin. I've become extremely obsessive with keeping the packaging games come in now because of this.

I haven't seen it occur yet, but Atlus made mention that only the first run of all the premium box set DS games releasing this year would be packaged with the music CD and high gloss paper over cart. I believe they had a similar disclaimer with this game. I can see an SMT game getting a 2nd or 3rd run unlike, say, a low key DS release like Legacy of Ys: Books I & II given the rise in popularity, thanks in part to Persona 3 & 4.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

yeah i cant believe you chucked those out. you couldve just collapsed them, they are cartboard boxes after all =[

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    namzep
    Steam
    namzep

Don't know how anyone can shit on Disgaea. One of the top 10 or so RPGs of all-time. I still haven't picked up Devil Summoner 2 but I am sorely tempted to at the beginning of June. Not that I really need another RPG in my backlog but I don't want to have to worry about tracking it down later on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by namzep View Post
    Don't know how anyone can shit on Disgaea. One of the top 10 or so RPGs of all-time.
    Don't feed the troll. Just roll your eyes and move along.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b334/kupomogli/devilsummonerisballs.jpg
    Pretty sure I done told yas that nobody would listen.

Also, Kupo showed this to me as an example of why he's a great games reviewer. Come again?

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Got mine the other day. I still have to start and finish the first one... Thankfully, the packaging is pretty. Looks good on a shelf for now.

Oh, yes, of course. Almost forgot...

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Great Puma (Level 12) Chainsaw_Charlie's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by namzep View Post
    Don't know how anyone can shit on Disgaea. One of the top 10 or so RPGs of all-time. I still haven't picked up Devil Summoner 2 but I am sorely tempted to at the beginning of June. Not that I really need another RPG in my backlog but I don't want to have to worry about tracking it down later on.

In a thread I made about the possibility of Persona 5, he made it clear his dislike for Atlus as a game company
    My rotating want list http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101550

Your television doesn't care how angry you are with it. Turn it off and find something better to do with your time.-Beserker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw_Charlie View Post
    In a thread I made about the possibility of Persona 5, he made it clear his dislike for Atlus as a game company
    Atlus as a company has nothing to do with Disgaea being a shitty game. No strategy needed and the fact that every character in the game is the same aside from stats makes Disgaea a shitty game.

Crimson Gem Saga looks good. Knights in the Nightmare looks okay but I'm mainly interested in it because of the developer as Riviera was a great game and Yggdra Union was good(I own both for GBA and PSP.) Atlus was smart releasing those games as well as some others a few others here and there.

If Persona 5 was released it'd be a good game obviously. But no thank you, Persona 5. SMT4 please.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 05-17-2009 at 07:37 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Chainsaw_Charlie's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And once you put your foot in your mouth

I dont care what you say about Disgaea because you are in the minority

Disgaea IS a great game that sure does have generic characters but last time I checked a demon prince isnt the same thing as an angel. Besides that what more can you ask for when the game itself doesnt take itself seriously and pokes fun at aspects of society, pop culture etc

I rest my case and you reply and be a troll but I said my piece
    My rotating want list http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101550

Your television doesn't care how angry you are with it. Turn it off and find something better to do with your time.-Beserker