Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bionic Commando is out today...share your thoughts!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Bionic Commando is out today...share your thoughts!

So Bionic Commando came out today for 360 and PS3. I have it preordered but the reviews are pretty mixed. I'm thinking I might wait on this one. Anyone get it and have thoughts on how it is? Apparently some stuff is only unlockable if you have Rearmed....which means for me, I have to get the PS3 Bionic Commando...I just bought Rearmed for PS3.

Reviews say it's fun but linear and could be better. I want to know how it REALLY is though!
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PaleSonicakuma

false, it's not out till june 10
    read sonic doom everyday on my myspace profile

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Actually it ships today. It'll be in stores Wednesday. That being said, I'm going to pick this up at $60. I thought I might wait for it to go cheaper, but the reviews/videos seem across the board, positive.

Oh, and +1 for Mike Patton doing the voice work.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

On a lot of boards (especially the IGN article comments sections), just about every time someone would mention this game, there would be at least one person coming in talking crap about this game because it's weird, or because it's "ripping off" Spiderman and Power Rangers.

It seems to me that if you are a fan of the original then you will really enjoy this one. Grin also did the awesome remake so it doesn't feel like this game could turn out to be something the fans won't like. It's not a game about super detailed customizable weapons and moments of movie scene-like simple gameplay (Call of Duty), so maybe that's what is turning off a lot of people.
    "Tell her you want to slide a hot throbbing cartridge in her warm tight console port. And if it starts blinking and flashing to just slide it back out and blow on it a little."--Sothy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For what it's worth (and I know it ain't much), I got my Game Informer today and they kind of trashed it. Gave it a 6.25 and said it was frustrating and that the story didn't make sense. This was an automatic play for me, but now I'd like to hear from some others before I buy it too.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    Actually it ships today. It'll be in stores Wednesday.
    Some stores in my area (NY) had it for sale today (5/19), so call ahead and you may be able to buy it tonight!

-frap

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    icarusX360
    PSN
    titanzguard

I know most of you dont like X Play but they gave it a 3 out of 5. I was surprised at the score because they bashed the game most of the review except at the end when they said the story was good.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    Actually it ships today. It'll be in stores Wednesday. That being said, I'm going to pick this up at $60. I thought I might wait for it to go cheaper, but the reviews/videos seem across the board, positive.

Oh, and +1 for Mike Patton doing the voice work.
    Unfortunately this is not accurate. The highest reviews it got so far were 80/100, but the biggest group of more respectable magazines/reviewers like Edge gave it an average in the low 60s. Wired gave it a 50/100. The criticisms are with the extremely linear gameplay and the grappling mechanism not working so well in 3D environments. There are also complaints of some very frustrating play mechanics and poor level design. I don't always go strictly by reviews, but when a game gets a lot of below average scores like this one did, it's probably safe to assume that it's one that will be dropping to $20 within a reasonable amount of time. It's kinda sad considering how excited I was about the concept when I saw the early coverage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Uh, it came in today.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, my store had it in today...held it in hand...but didn't buy it.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I was looking very forward to this game, so I'll probably still pick it up today and just trade some games in to get it.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Wired gave it 5/10...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Unfortunately this is not accurate. The highest reviews it got so far were 80/100, but the biggest group of more respectable magazines/reviewers like Edge gave it an average in the low 60s. Wired gave it a 50/100. The criticisms are with the extremely linear gameplay and the grappling mechanism not working so well in 3D environments. There are also complaints of some very frustrating play mechanics and poor level design. I don't always go strictly by reviews, but when a game gets a lot of below average scores like this one did, it's probably safe to assume that it's one that will be dropping to $20 within a reasonable amount of time. It's kinda sad considering how excited I was about the concept when I saw the early coverage.
    As expected, PLAY magazine has proclaimed this game is the best game ever made. It's easy to see why they got rid of their numerical grading system. How I both love and loathe PLAY magazine.

I will just have to play it myself.

!
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by maxlords View Post
    Reviews say it's fun but linear
    Why do video game reviewers think linear is bad?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I traded a few games in to get this game today and after playing it for about two hours, I'll have to say that it's a pretty fun game so far. The swinging has a slight learning curve and may take a while to get used to, but once you get the hang of the motion it turns into a pretty fun experience. It's not going to be game of the year or anything, but I can see a bright future for the series if they're able to make a sequel and improve on the games shortcomings.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I haven't touched it yet, but isn't there a way to use the original Rad Spencer character design?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Yes there is if you unlocked it in Bionic Commando Re-armed, I'm using the Spencer costume instead of the other guy because it just feels right.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    Why do video game reviewers think linear is bad?
    Because game design has evolved past that limitation in the post-GTA sandbox world. While the gaming audience can certainly accept some constraints, there are some FPS shooters even today that are basically on-rails (Legendary comes to mind) when it would have taken just a little more planning to at least give the illusion of more open environments. In Bionic Commando in particular, the design was supposed to give the illusion of freedom with your grappling arm and the fact that you really do just follow a single path makes it very disappointing. Linear design also makes replay value almost zero.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Because game design has evolved past that limitation in the post-GTA sandbox world. While the gaming audience can certainly accept some constraints, there are some FPS shooters even today that are basically on-rails (Legendary comes to mind) when it would have taken just a little more planning to at least give the illusion of more open environments. In Bionic Commando in particular, the design was supposed to give the illusion of freedom with your grappling arm and the fact that you really do just follow a single path makes it very disappointing. Linear design also makes replay value almost zero.
    Does that mean that the original Donkey Kong doesn't have replay value, since it's completely linear ? The fact that it's linear may suits to some people, like me. Linear or not, it can be funny. Metroid Fusion was great, even if it's the most linear game in the Metroid series. For me, it has the same replay value than the other games.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phénix View Post
    Does that mean that the original Donkey Kong doesn't have replay value, since it's completely linear ? The fact that it's linear may suits to some people, like me. Linear or not, it can be funny. Metroid Fusion was great, even if it's the most linear game in the Metroid series. For me, it has the same replay value than the other games.
    Well, I don't know, how often do you play Donkey Kong? Do you spend hours at a time playing it? Do you play it everyday? I'm guessing the answer is no. It has limited replay value. Generally, Donkey Kong is not a game you are going to spend 20-30 hours playing or even more than maybe 10-15 minutes at a time. Certainly there is still room for retro style linear gaming, but charging $60 for a game which is supposed to be story driven and not designed as a retro style game, but plays in a very linear fashion is not appropriate.