Thread: Help Identify Monitor

Insert Coin (Level 0) moonchilddave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Help Identify Monitor

This is a monitor in a Ms. Pac cabinet, and I'm pretty sure it can use a cap kit as the left side of the screen has started to "droop". I can't find any manufacturer names on it. On the case there is a sticker with a "69X1076-100". The odd thing about this monitor is the flyback is not mounted on any board but on the side of the metal chasis.

Pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/moonchilddave/Monitor

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's a Wells-Gardner 4600. My advice, toss the whole monitor (yes, tube and all) and replace it. I have thrown away maybe a dozen of these beasts. They are a *ROYAL* pain in the ... to remove the board from the tube, and, honestly, it's not worth the hassle. $150 for a brand new monitor, and it bolts right in, no mods. Matter of fact, as I think about it, I believe even the connections plug right in as well, with the exception of the AC power. Anyhow, that's my two cents', take it or leave it as you will.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Replacing it might not be a bad idea - especially if it's that much of a pain to work on (and it does have significant burn-in on it). What do you suggest I replace it with and where has the best price on a replacement? Also, are any parts on the 4600 worth holding on to or should I just toss the whole thing?
    Last edited by moonchilddave; 05-20-2009 at 08:21 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Happ Controls has a ProVision monitor that runs around $150, drop it right in there, wire it up. If you are skilled in arcade repair, it'll take you about half an hour. Nothing worth saving on the old monitor (at least, I wouldn't).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually, Happ *USED* to have the 19" Vision Pro monitor for that price. All I can find on their site now is the 13" variety. From what I have seen elsewhere it has something to do with they cannot make these beyond March 2009 due to the lead contents. So, any other suggestions? I know I can get a direct replacement from TwoBits but $350 seems a little steep for a 19" monitor.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's news to me, let me search around a bit, I'll let you know what I come up with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I found one person who still has a few of the 19" Vision Pro's left... $250 shipped. Worth it or pass and look for something else? From what I've seen, they do get good reviews... Shame the old stock is just about gone. Having a burn free monitor would be sweet.
    Last edited by moonchilddave; 05-22-2009 at 09:36 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The tube is badly burned in for sure. Perhaps a cap kit and possibly put a new tube in a better option? Can you even find just the tubes for the monitor if it's that reliable. I had heard just the opposite that the G07's were rock solid. I'm not as experienced with the raster monitors, as in the past I've collected and mainly worked on vector monitors (WG6100, Ampliphone). In fact, I have replaced a tube in a WG6100 before (with a new tube I bought from Richardson Electronics) and really it wasn't bad at all... the convergence was the worst part of that job.

Anyone else care to throw in their 2 cents?

Also, if I go the way of a cap kit (and tube replacement), is Bob Roberts still the go to guy for the cap kits?

Looks like the tubes (19VJTP22) run an average of about $200 alone... So might be better to go with the Vision Pro for $250.
    Last edited by moonchilddave; 05-22-2009 at 07:14 PM.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by moonchilddave View Post
    Also, if I go the way of a cap kit (and tube replacement), is Bob Roberts still the go to guy for the cap kits?
    That's where I got mine from. Mind you he ships priority, so add about $7 to the price of a cap kit. Still mine was $12 shipped, and he shipped mine out when he got a confirmation email from me saying I did want it. He accepts money orders, but shipped mine out even before he got my money order.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Ken Layton's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by moonchilddave View Post
    This is a monitor in a Ms. Pac cabinet, and I'm pretty sure it can use a cap kit as the left side of the screen has started to "droop". I can't find any manufacturer names on it. On the case there is a sticker with a "69X1076-100". The odd thing about this monitor is the flyback is not mounted on any board but on the side of the metal chasis.

Pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/moonchilddave/Monitor

Yup that's a late model Wells-Gardner k4600 series with the desireable "P317" video interface card. These are actually very good monitors once recapped.

However, if you decide to get a new monitor, Happ Controls and Wells-Gardner are no longer stocking 19" CRT monitors. They want to sell you those waaayyy overpriced LCD monitors instead.

Wei-ya, Jen Shinn, Neotec, Arcadeshop.com all stock 19" CRT monitors now.