Thread: New Genesis Consoles ETA: Summer 2009

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default New Genesis Consoles ETA: Summer 2009

After way too many name changes and a few contracts I can finally start a new thread about this stuff.

Most of you should already have the original system consoles which means you're probably not interested in that blue thing but the handheld is pretty nifty!

I'm leaving work now but both systems will have twenty built in games. If you have any questions about them just post in this thread.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

What games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

And why does it look like there's an infrared port on the front of the Genesis? And will it have 32X functionality built-in? (It's a million-to-one longshot, I know.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd love to get my hands on that portable one. A Nomad would be nice, but there is no way I'll ever drop the amount of money required for that battery draining beast.

Any word on what the prices will be and where to buy them (online or in Canada)?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

I will be buying the little portable one but Im already up to my ears in home Genesis' consoles. I think around 10 now.
    Last edited by Sonicwolf; 05-20-2009 at 07:29 PM.
    DERP

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just being an ATGAMES co-related product, that farther lets me know is crap....
    §ø Ï ζ Ξ Δ φ Ψ ς ώ ☆ ¿ ∞ ♪ ξ

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My only concern now is that these don't suffer the awful quality of the AtGames Twin Pad Player clone. That thing is known for having poor game compatibility, graphical problems, and other issues. If AtGames is just using this deal to put the guts of that thing into a new casing, then no one will buy them.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hope the Genesis compatibility is good. I'd like an alternative to that battery munching Nomad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    I hope the Genesis compatibility is good. I'd like an alternative to that battery munching Nomad.
    I played my prototype for about ten hours now without recharging.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    I guess that's the million dollar question. Only someone who's been hands-on with the prototype can answer that. The original news mentioned that the Genesis-on-a-chip was being supplied by Sega themselves(?) Do we know if that is still true, or was ever true?

Based on the rampant trouble getting the Genesis sound to be perfectly emulated on just about any hardware or software, I'm not expecting miracles in that direction. But, I do definitely want to know that just about any cartridge I plug into it will have a good chance of playing without issue (outside of the exotic games like Virtua Racing).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Why would they want an infrared port on the front of the console and not have any out-of-the-box functionality for it? Doesn't that just drive up the cost of the machine to manufacture? I'm assuming that they were considering making remote control joysticks, but couldn't they have come up with a better solution than infrared?

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    Why would they want an infrared port on the front of the console and not have any out-of-the-box functionality for it? Doesn't that just drive up the cost of the machine to manufacture? I'm assuming that they were considering making remote control joysticks, but couldn't they have come up with a better solution than infrared?
    Yeah, it kind of reminds me of that Game Boy Color infra-red port a bit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    There's a particular reason they demanded the system be called Firebox Diamond.

Firebox is a type of cartridge which is available in Asia. Some Firebox games have wireless motion capture controls and a special controller is needed. At this time we don't have plans to offer Firebox in America.

The only alternative I know to wireless infrared is radio frequency which is much more expensive.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tofu View Post
    There's a particular reason they demanded the system be called Firebox Diamond.

Firebox is a type of cartridge which is available in Asia. Some Firebox games have wireless motion capture controls and a special controller is needed. At this time we don't have plans to offer Firebox in America.

The only alternative I know to wireless infrared is radio frequency which is much more expensive.
    Wait, what? Only google reference I could find is a site called Firebox which is an online retailer. No mention of game cartridges. And even so, this is made to play Sega Genesis games, so unless these Firebox cartridges are Genesis compatible, or the system is built with dual compatibility, then it's just deceptive naming.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Akito01 View Post
    I guess that's the million dollar question. Only someone who's been hands-on with the prototype can answer that. The original news mentioned that the Genesis-on-a-chip was being supplied by Sega themselves(?) Do we know if that is still true, or was ever true?

Based on the rampant trouble getting the Genesis sound to be perfectly emulated on just about any hardware or software, I'm not expecting miracles in that direction. But, I do definitely want to know that just about any cartridge I plug into it will have a good chance of playing without issue (outside of the exotic games like Virtua Racing).
    Depends on what you consider to be SEGA themselves. They have more arms than a centipede. I do not believe AtGames makes their own chips.

Many of you are wishing for a redux Genesis console that will render your current original systems obsolete. That has never been the intention nor would it make financial sense.

Compatibility is hard to test without a full library at my disposal. Once again if any of you are local to Southern California I'd be happy to show up at your house with a six-pack and the prototypes for testing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by tofu View Post
    Many of you are wishing for a redux Genesis console that will render your current original systems obsolete. That has never been the intention nor would it make financial sense.
    Does that mean that it may never happen? Majesco came really close to 100% compatibility (sans a few games, like Virtua Racing, 32X and Sega CD specs). And the price was really economical.

Does that mean that we may never have a console that is as compatible as the before mentioned version?
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    Does that mean that it may never happen? Majesco came really close to 100% compatibility (sans a few games, like Virtua Racing, 32X and Sega CD specs). And the price was really economical.

Does that mean that we may never have a console that is as compatible as the before mentioned version?
    Yeah, Majesco did an awesome job with making the Genesis 3, and the fact that they can fit in Japanese carts is even better.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I always thought that the Majesco console used regular Genesis guts but had a slight problem preventing it from playing games like Disney's Gargoyles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post

Heck if I know, I'd have to ask Sega or AtGames.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

sweet, where can i get one of these? ebay?