Thread: New Genesis Consoles ETA: Summer 2009

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sonicwolf View Post
    Im confused about all this now.
    Don't be, just go back and re-read the whole thread...
    §ø Ï ζ Ξ Δ φ Ψ ς ώ ☆ ¿ ∞ ♪ ξ

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Tofu is a good guy. He has patiently answered a ton of questions for members on DP. Like most of us, I am sure he is busy with work (and home-life), give him a break.

I personally love the fact that companies are taking the risk and making older systems. I for one have waited a long time to play NES on a portable. I am very pleased with the FC mobile 2. I can't wait for the portable genesis.
    Last edited by MachineGex; 06-21-2009 at 11:45 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not sure Tofu is the one whose confused.

For one, Hyperkin and Innex are not the same company (at least, not to my knowledge). They had different booths at E3, and have different product lines. I wasn't aware that Innex was going to be releasing a portable Genesis of their own. This makes things interesting. The two devices look very similar, though not identical. I'm guessing AT Games is doing the hardware for both? It's interesting that its using the RetroGen name, which as the original moniker for the Digital Pocket.

I guess the confusion is understandable; I'm not even sure I've got all the details 100% right. But, if you've been following this thread from the beginning, with the evolution of the FC Mobile II from prototype to release, then you'll know that Tofu is entirely on the level.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I think Hyperkin sells some of Innex's products. Tofu DID say that the Genesis handheld was not being made by Hyperkin themselves. And if you read the thread closely, he did talk about the Firebox thing.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I certainly didn't want to give no one a hard time, but there is a lot of misinformation now a days, and have to be careful with things that are posted, specially here at DP where hundreds of gamers come to take a look.... I personally was thinking that these new Sega machines needed a special feature to be competitive, because you can easily pick up a nice Genesis for under $20 bucks....And the downloading things was surely a great option, acording to the video, It is SD card compatible....First time I heard this, even from those who have actually played the prototype (supposedly)
    Last edited by ooXxXoo; 06-20-2009 at 10:04 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm sure we'll have some answers once the weekend is over and Tofu is back at the office.

I will admit, it would be very unusual if two such similar devices were released by two different companies within the same time frame. It's the SD card support that has me confused, because in the earlier FC Mobile thread, Tofu mentioned specifically NOT including something like that, because retro game retailers would hate it (undercuts the market for used games if you can just download and play the ROMs) and not want to stock the product.

I admit, I dunno. Something a little bit strange is going on, but I don't think anyone is being deliberately deceitful.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Only time will tell (about a month )

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ooXxXoo View Post
    Alright, at this point I don't longer believe much in "tofu"...He seem to be confused....First he claimed that Hyperkin,(where he supposedly works) had the only distribution rights for the new Sega clones, but Innex (Remember the great Retro Duo) have them instead......And these Atgames systems are definitely in their final stages because they should be out by July...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqCTy...layer_embedded

Hopefully they have fixed all of the problems that the first Atgames Megadrive did (the system shell looks the same though)...And the downloading part is very promising, including the cartridge connector that supports Mega Drive games as well....Innex is stepping up!
    The decision by AtGames to include two companies came as a complete surprise to me at E3. As a matter of fact, it was more like a kick to the crotch.

As it stands, Hyperkin has two systems and so does Innex. Ours will be the console shaped like Sonic's head and the handheld with twenty built in games and cartridge slot. Theirs will be a handheld with twenty built in games but no cartridge slot, they also have thiswhich is already available nearly everywhere else in the world.

In that youtube video, you should see no mention of this third system being officially licensed, that's because it's not. Although to many of you, that wouldn't really matter.
    Last edited by tofu; 06-21-2009 at 12:50 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Oh. I swear I saw a cart slot on the Innex handheld. Does Hyperkin's have that Firebox thing?

Doesn't matter if it doesn't, a region switch is more important to me.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually, Innex will have 3 Sega clones, the home console, the portable 6-button Genesis/Megadrive system with cartridge connector port and no built-in games and the portable that everyone knows by now with the 20 built-in but no cartridge connector...Is very clear on that video really.....So, if the innex sega clones are supposed to be realeased within next month according to the video, when are the Hiperkin sega clones are going to hit the market?....And are they going to include the dowloading feature as well?.....
    Last edited by ooXxXoo; 06-21-2009 at 12:55 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    Oh. I swear I saw a cart slot on the Innex handheld. Does Hyperkin's have that Firebox thing?

Doesn't matter if it doesn't, a region switch is more important to me.
    I haven't actually bothered to see that entire video.

The Innex company is something I'd rather not even think about, you guys remember that Retro-Mini thing? They're the ones behind it.

My guess is that they're pushing up the date of their unofficial handheld portable to capture the market before ours arrives. I can provide no estimate as to when ours will be ready.

Oh, and I'm against the inclusion of a SD card slot. If AtGames really wants to provide one and persuades my bosses that it's a good idea then we might carry it.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How about the downloading part?....Will the Hiperkin sega clones have it?....And, Innex is also behing the Retro Duo system (good clone, one of the first with quite good compatibility and s-video as well....Is not looking good for Hiperkin then, Having their systems ready to be realeased and with all of these features?...
    Last edited by ooXxXoo; 06-21-2009 at 01:15 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Really, I'm not buying these systems for modern downloads. I'm buying it because it's an inexpensive version of a very hard to find system that actually has improvements on it. Anything else like downloads is just a small plus.

Innex's download thing? Apparently Sega-sponsored, somehow. The system doesn't have an SD card slot, they are coming out with a cart that does and can somehow have 64-bit games.

Doesn't the Sonic head Genesis have Firebox technology?
    Last edited by Tupin; 06-21-2009 at 01:27 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ooXxXoo View Post
    How about the downloading part?....Will the Hiperkin sega clones have it?....And, Innex is also behing the Retro Duo system (good clone, one of the first with quite good compatibility and s-video as well....Is not looking good for Hiperkin then, Having their systems ready to be realeased and with all of these features?...
    Unless things change... again, we will not have any options for emulation. What sort of message would I be sending to my used games retail client base?

I know what the Retro Duo is.

Edit: AtGames did mention the Firebox Passport which is some sort of downloading thing but I don't even want to consider that until I'm done playtesting.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    Really, I'm not buying these systems for modern downloads. I'm buying it because it's an inexpensive version of a very hard to find system that actually has improvements on it. Anything else like downloads is just a small plus.

Innex's download thing? Apparently Sega-sponsored, somehow. The system doesn't have an SD card slot, they are coming out with a cart that does and can somehow have 64-bit games.

Doesn't the Sonic head Genesis have Firebox technology?
    Well, aparently the Firebox is now definitely the Innex home console, and the RetroGen is the the Innex Portable (Nomad clone)....The D-pad looks very confortable on that RetroGen....
    Last edited by ooXxXoo; 06-21-2009 at 01:36 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I hope this hasn't already been answered - overseas compatibility? PAL I would imagine not, but what about JPN region Mega Drive?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tofu View Post
    Unless things change... again, we will not have any options for emulation. What sort of message would I be sending to my used games retail client base?
    A good message I'll say, something like: "This product is great, is going to sell well, you can play your old cartridges and still keep up with modern downloading technology"....

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    I hope this hasn't already been answered - overseas compatibility? PAL I would imagine not, but what about JPN region Mega Drive?
    The Innex dude on that video says that the cartridge systems will play both Genesis/Megadrive games....Hope is true...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm talking about the officially licensed system, not that unlicensed Innex one...this is the handheld with a cart slot, right?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    I'm talking about the officially licensed system, not that unlicensed Innex one...this is the handheld with a cart slot, right?
    The Innex Clone Sega systems are Sega Liscensed....And yes, the home console and the portable 6-button Retrogen system both have cartridge ports......