Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: FC Mobile II Review and Compatability Thread (56K beware)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Default FC Mobile II Review and Compatability Thread (56K beware)

So here is my review with photos of Hyperkin's new handheld system, the FC Mobile II. It plays Nintendo Entertainment System games.

I payed around 55 bucks for this system and I am very, very pleased with it. Here is what you get:

- FC Mobile II system
    - 2 Wireless controllers
    - A wireless zapper
    - AC Adaptor
    - AV Out cord

The FC Mobile II when used portably requires 4 AA size batteries. The controllers require 2 AAA size batteries each and the Zapper requires 3 AAA's.

The system itself is extremely solid feeling and very easy to use. It is a definite cosmetic improvement over its predecessor. The buttons and d-pad on the system work and feel great. I had some reservations due to the D-pads PlayStation styling but, in my opinion, it kicks the crap out of the PlayStation d-pad. Much easier to use and control. Playing cartridges in it is pretty easy and their can be the usual NES style problems. It does hold the cartridges very firmly but once and a while you will have to blow on the cart or reseat it on the connectors to get the game to play but I am pretty sure we are all used to that

The screen is beautiful and crisp with minimal blur. Its very bright too so its a joy to play in any light setting.

(FC Mobile II screen closeup)

I found only 3 things with the system itself that bug me. There is an inconvienent screw on the battery compartment which I think is unnecessary because the compartment is latched on by a normal remote style clip anyways. (I removed the screw)

The second thing is that the images displayed by the systems screen seem a little shifted to the left at times. Not really a big problem and it is barely noticeable most of the time. Its a very small shift too. Just thought I should make it known. The third thing is that there is a bit of noise when using the headphone jack.

The Zapper I have yet to use due to my current lack of availiable CRT television. The two controllers are light weight but work very well with the buttons being basically the same as the system itself. They are infrared and respond quickly. The only problem I found with the controllers is that the d-pad does feel a little bit cheap and slippy at times. After playing with the controllers for a while and utilizing the av-out on the system to my lcd tv, I didnt find that the controller's d-pad detracted from the game play at all. The controllers and zapper also have the odd screw on the battery compartment which includes the remote style clip.

I have played many games of mine and here are the ones I have found to work: Super Mario Bros, SMB 2, SMB 3, SMB/DH/World Class Track Meet, SMB/DH, Donkey Kong Classics, TMNT, A Nightmare on Elm Street and Castlevania.
    I could not get my only multigame to work and I have not been able to play Gradius on it yet. I have been informed by a fellow DP'er that it does work. Probably just my cart.

(av out above to my lcd)

(FC Mobile II screen closeup)

So all in all Its a must buy for any NES fan. Its an excellent little system and a real joy to play. The detractors are minimal compared to the benefits and fun you can get out of this thing at such a cheap price. If you already have the FC Mobile original, buy this one and if you dont have any portable NES yet... Buy this one. Its really worth it!

Anyone who has purchased and used this already, post the games that you have found to work and not work so we can get a good compatability list going.
    Last edited by Sonicwolf; 05-22-2009 at 01:06 AM.
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Many of my gripes are the same as yours. IMO it is a big upgrade over the original. The controller D-pad bugs me, but I too felt the IR was responsive, but you must lay the system on its back with the IR receiver faced towards you.

I thought the cart slot was nice. I don't know how it will hold up over time. However, I shook mine pretty hard to try to get it to screw up and it didn't. Your games do have to be pretty clean for everything to work as it should though.

P.S. We do sell these for $57.99 + free shipping to U.S. over at our store.
    Stone Age Gamer®
    Gaming De-evolved.™
    www.stoneagegamer.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Overall not a bad way to play nes games on the go. I agree with Sonicwolf with many of the same things. I would add one though....I have already hit the reset button twice on accident while playing. I also would have preferred the AC adaptor port to not be on the top but coming out from the bottom of the unit. Overall I am happy with what I bought.

Punch out Works!
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I have played a ton of PAL games on it and I am very impressed. I have not found a game that doesnt work on it. Gradius(US version) & Gradius 2(inside a gyromite) both play perfect. Currently I am having fun playing "Over Horizon" on it. I have over a dozen multi-carts that I need to dig out and try, but so far everything works great including all my PAL & reproduction games. A+ for this little guy, I love it!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just ordered mine yesterday. Can't wait to get it!
    "You got 50,000 on Double Dragon?"

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

received mine today. I am very pleased with it, This is my third portable nes/famicom. My first was a game axe ... what an amazing improvement.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

don't believe little Samson works ... can anyone else confirm?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Quote Originally Posted by Classicgamesdepot View Post
    received mine today. I am very pleased with it, This is my third portable nes/famicom. My first was a game axe ... what an amazing improvement.
    Boy that thing was a piece of crap , Looking at mine right now, boy the technology has came a long way.

BTW I will try to test my Little Sampson later today
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

I may purchase this...how is the sound and graphics? Are they faithful to the original? How long does a pair of good batteries last? Can I use NiMH on it?
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    I may purchase this...how is the sound and graphics? Are they faithful to the original? How long does a pair of good batteries last? Can I use NiMH on it?
    The sound is pretty accurate and can be very loud if you wish and I have not tested battery time. I heard its around 10 hours though. Not positive about NiMH.
    DERP

Insert Coin (Level 0) iloveguns's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

wow that's really cool....
    the best things in life are those moments unexpected...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by StoneAgeGamer View Post

P.S. We do sell these for $57.99 + free shipping to U.S. over at our store.
    Nice. What is the shipping method to be used? Parcel Post? Media Mail? Priority Mail?

I'm currently looking at locations to purchase from. Would love to get it at a great price from an excellent source.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGex View Post
    I have played a ton of PAL games on it and I am very impressed. I have not found a game that doesnt work on it. Gradius(US version) & Gradius 2(inside a gyromite) both play perfect. Currently I am having fun playing "Over Horizon" on it. I have over a dozen multi-carts that I need to dig out and try, but so far everything works great including all my PAL & reproduction games. A+ for this little guy, I love it!
    The PAL version of Turrican works, but doesn't look quite right. All the sprites are solid black. Other than that, I haven't found any incompatibilities.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sonicwolf View Post
    The sound is pretty accurate and can be very loud if you wish and I have not tested battery time. I heard its around 10 hours though. Not positive about NiMH.
    I'd like a "final answer" on battery time, too.

Be a lot more likely to buy this if the AA battery life is closing to Game Boy systems than a Game Gear.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    Nice. What is the shipping method to be used? Parcel Post? Media Mail? Priority Mail?

I'm currently looking at locations to purchase from. Would love to get it at a great price from an excellent source.
    Priority Mail.
    Stone Age Gamer®
    Gaming De-evolved.™
    www.stoneagegamer.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

I am going to go out and buy a 4 pack of rechargables just to test full battery life at medium volume. Give me a bit of time. Those rechargable arent cheap either...
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Ask Tofu about the battery life. I dont have the patience to baby sit the thing for a large amount of time.
    Last edited by Sonicwolf; 05-26-2009 at 03:48 PM.
    DERP

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Got mine today. This thing is absolutely awesome. I always held off on getting the first version because the buttons were backwards. I love this thing. So far I tested SMB3, Defender 2, and Duck Tales. All carts fired on the first try. Man, this thing is going to keep me busy. If I had to choose one thing to change on it, it would be the segmented D-pad, but overall that is such a minor issue. Love it!
    "You got 50,000 on Double Dragon?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sonicwolf View Post
    Ask Tofu about the battery life. I dont have the patience to baby sit the thing for a large amount of time.
    I'm trying to stay out of this thread because it's more important what consumers experience - not what I did with my prototypes.

I'd very much like to know what another person manages to get in terms of battery life. I got 13 hours on Bionic Commando and Adventures of Link using Energizer Lithium batteries.

Strawberry (Level 2) Arcade_Ness's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I splurged and bought one today. I'll be going on a trip to Dallas, so I figured I could bring the FC Mobile 2 along with me. I really enjoyed hooking it up to my big screen tv to play Mike Tyson's Punch Out! and Castlevania 3. The sound is quite loud, which I found quite surprising. I wonder if the sound quality is on par with the NES.