Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Diablo 1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by swlovinist View Post
    The expansion Hellfire, is just OK, but can add some replay value to the game.
    I seem to recall it was once rare and expensive (what with not being an official Bliizzard product), but checking eBay just now, it would seem it is not so presently.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Insert Coin (Level 0) chrissylas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by swlovinist View Post

This post makes me want to start another character again
    Ditto... I still have the Battle Chest. Might be time to dust that off and re-install

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Well, post your character's highest levels and stats when you finished the game then! let's have some fun here.

On level 8 now, doing the Anvil Quest, level 17 Rogue now. Is an Axe a good backup melee weapon for a Rogue (especially one that has resist to magic/fire/lightning)? I take it the deeper levels of Hell I should concentrate on getting my Fire Resist to Max?
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

So it has been like 10 years since I have played, but I have started to rebuild my "tank". I forget...is there a place to store extra items in town?

I got totally lucky and scored two books on the first dungeon level...one of them being a heal book. A warriors best friend.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I played the game a bit recently (got through a number of dungeons, got my butt kicked by succubi, gave up - amazing soundtrack though) and I had stuff lying all over the place in front of the blacksmith.

I played through D2 after that, and that was a much better game + experience. 'specially since I had played enough D1 to make sense of the return-to-town mission.

Insert Coin (Level 0) chrissylas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Diablo 2 added some great stuff (Running comes to mind ) but I love the atmosphere of the first Diablo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by chrissylas View Post
    Diablo 2 added some great stuff (Running comes to mind )
    Not having to click click click comes to mind!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Ahh, I forgot that you can just leave stuff on the ground in town Heh, forgot about that one. Well, back to clicking lol.

BTW, I was suprised on how well Diablo ran on Vista...I thought that older CD games were harder to run on newer computers? I was pretty impressed.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    I played the game a bit recently (got through a number of dungeons, got my butt kicked by succubi, gave up - amazing soundtrack though) and I had stuff lying all over the place in front of the blacksmith.
    That's me right now, I have a pile of armor, staffs, rings, armor, the occasional sword and misc lying around the center of town for later wearing, duping, etc.

Level 18 now, just started penetrating level 10 of the Caves, stupid flying demons.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just bought Hellfire on ebay because of this thread. Diablo is probably my favorite franchise and it's pathetic that I've never even beaten the first game. I'm hoping the extra XP in the expansion will help put me over the top.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Woohoo, won the Diablo Battlechest (used but complete) on ebay for $8 total (after s&h)!!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gotta chime in here and say I have happy memories of Diablo Battle.net multiplayer around 97-98 iirc. Besides the normal game, I had a lot of fun with the... "alternate" play options. I normally played nice but sometimes would be in the mood for some twisted fun.

1. No item level requirements meant you could "twink" your level 1 character with all the best gear. You just needed the help of a high level character to supply you with them or abuse the item duplication glitch. In pvp, you could take on average-geared players of much higher levels and win due to the amount of raw stats on the items.

2. Duping involved dropping an item and walking away from it for a second. Much fun ensued if you could sneak up and steal their item they were trying to dupe. (It's in character for the rogues anyway) Unlike single player you shouldn't leave things on the ground.

3. If the item he was trying to dupe was a powerful one, keep it for your twink set or dupe it yourself in a private, password-protected room.

4. Otherwise, have some more fun. When the player got mad, reassure them you'd return it, but only if they helped you complete a quest. "Let's go into the dungeon" you'd ask, and they'd comply -- you posed little threat to them as a lower level character. A few levels down when they were engaged in fighting and cut off from escape, you could suddenly take them by surprise and slay them (see point 1).

4. When players die in pvp, they drop half their gold. Collect your reward and cackle maniacally.

5. Apologize profusely. Then be a helpful fellow and use a scroll of resurrection on him. There, he's all better. Except he's at 10hp now... hmm. *chop* Collect another half of his remaining gold (1/4th). Repeat until you're getting less gold from slaying him than the cost of buying a new resurrection scroll.

Tips for success: don't carry gold yourself; carry a few high level rings that you can sell for huge amounts of gold if needed. Dupe them if you need more gold. Carry plenty of full-health potions to be sure you win the fights, and a scroll of town portal in case you start losing.

6. Optionally: give him back his items and gold when you've had your fun, unless he deserved it. Good times for all.

No big surprise that in World of Warcraft, Blizzard put item level requirements on gear, didn't make players drop anything when they died, created non-pvp servers where players have to voluntarily agree to be flagged for pvp, and required you to give permission every time another player wants to resurrect you. Oh well, fun while it lasted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

That's a lot of the reason why I quit D1 in the first place... obnoxious PVP tactics like that, and dupers/hackers with items that are way too powerful for their level, items you wouldn't see someone with unless they were doing runs in hell/hell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Well, I'm in Hell, just hit level 21. These levels really are Hell...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Battle Chest came today. Everything installed correctly, uninstalled and will play later. Be nice the games came in jewel cases though...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My warrior hit the catacombs last night. I've put all my attribute points in strength and vitality so far, which is different from what I normally do (no dex this time). Hopefully that's the change I need, because I've always gotten murdered later in the game.

My only complaint with this game is you can play yourself into a corner. Since there aren't any respawning monsters it's not that hard to hit a wall with gear, XP, or gold. You also can't go shrine hunting, which kind of sucks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by carlcarlson View Post
    My warrior hit the catacombs last night. I've put all my attribute points in strength and vitality so far, which is different from what I normally do (no dex this time). Hopefully that's the change I need, because I've always gotten murdered later in the game.

My only complaint with this game is you can play yourself into a corner. Since there aren't any respawning monsters it's not that hard to hit a wall with gear, XP, or gold. You also can't go shrine hunting, which kind of sucks.
    You're going to need to bump up your DEX in order to increase your to-hit%. Some of the monsters late in the game are tough obviously and you'll want to hit them as often as you can.

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

@Kaine: your copy of the Battlechest came in jewel cases? Was it a complete copy of an earlier edition or did the seller just transfer the games onto jewel cases? My copy uses black paper sleeves (with the activation key printed on them) and included a Brady strat guide to Diablo II and its expansion pack.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pseudonym View Post
    You're going to need to bump up your DEX in order to increase your to-hit%. Some of the monsters late in the game are tough obviously and you'll want to hit them as often as you can.
    That's what I always did before and I got my butt kicked. I found a few guides online that mentioned not touching DEX so I figured I'd give that a shot. So far my extra HP and strength has been making up for my low hit chance, so hopefully that will stay that way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Loaded Diablo last night and played for a little while... I guess I'm spoiled from DII as I really just couldn't get into it.