Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should Apple get into the console gaming market?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wish Apple would release a console. I also wish it would be such a colossal clusterfuck that the company went bankrupt as a result.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gatchaman17

Apple's too busy ripping people off with Ipods and Laptops without a standard dvd drive to take a monetary risk with a console.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    I wish Apple would release a console. I also wish it would be such a colossal clusterfuck that the company went bankrupt as a result.
    Nope, won't happen. Windows sucks so much that there's always people who want something better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    Yeah, because thousands of people loosing their jobs really is a good thing. Idiot. And then what? We'd be left with Windows or the real mess that is Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt-El View Post
    Apple's too busy ripping people off with Ipods and Laptops without a standard dvd drive to take a monetary risk with a console.
    I'd love for you to explain how the iPod is rip off? And my MacBook has a very nice slot loading 'standard' DVD drive, as do MacBook Pros. The Air doesn't have a SuperDrive as there's no sodding room; that's why you can purchase a very reasonably priced external unit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why people feel compelled to defend Apple I'll never understand.

I use Windows Vista and a Zune. People can bitch about Microsoft all day and night and I couldn't care less.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by duffmanth View Post
    keep the price of the console affordable, make sure it's reliable, have some really kick ass exclusive games ready to go at launch and establish some top tier exclusive franchises, appeal to every genre of gaming, make sure it has good online capabilities.
    Things Apple knows nothing about.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    Things Apple knows nothing about.
    Exactly. See "Pippin"
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by duffmanth View Post
    I mean MS and Sony have kick ass exclusives coming out on almost a monthly basis now.
    Fine, so go buy their products. If "kick ass exclusives" that aren't targeted towards "kids and casual gamers" are the path to success then Nintendo will surely follow suit. In the meantime they will not care one whit what one Mr. Duffmanth thinks of them, their "quick profits", or their marketing.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post

I use Windows Vista and a Zune. People can bitch about Microsoft all day and night and I couldn't care less.

Why people feel compelled to defend Microsoft I'll never understand. I use OSX and an iPod.

On topic though, I don't really think we need a 4th console. The market is saturated enough as it is. Apple has never really been gamer friendly anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheDomesticInstitution View Post
    Why people feel compelled to defend Microsoft I'll never understand. I use OSX and an iPod.
    uhhh... where in my comment did I defend Microsoft? I simply stated that I don't care if others bitch about Microsoft.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gatchaman17

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicMonkey View Post
    I'd love for you to explain how the iPod is rip off? And my MacBook has a very nice slot loading 'standard' DVD drive, as do MacBook Pros. The Air doesn't have a SuperDrive as there's no sodding room; that's why you can purchase a very reasonably priced external unit.
    I don't have to explain anything. I AM THAT AWESOME.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why people slag off machines they've likely never used and probably can't afford, I'll never understand.

If people are stupid enough to trust Windows, Zunes and 360s then that's their problem. I'll stick with all my Macs, OS X and the iPhone.

Apple didn't mess around with the iPod. If they ever did decide to enter the home console market then they'd do it with style.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No way. Apple is clueless when it comes to gaming, and I don't think it's ever been much of a priority to them. They should do what they can to facilitate third-party development for games on their mobile devices, like on the iphone where games are starting to show as a pretty significant market - but does that mean they also ought to completely shift their main priorities and take a shot at some sort of home console with first-party titles? Absolutely not.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

uhhh... where in my comment did I defend Microsoft? I simply stated that I don't care if others bitch about Microsoft.

You didn't. Like you, I was just stating how I felt. That ok?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah of course that's no problem. It's just that your comment would only make sense if I were actually defending Microsoft.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Apple. Now that that's out of the way, I'll add to the stuff about Nintendo.

Since the N64, the only thing good about Nintendo has been their marketing. When it comes to the amount of good games on the system, the Wii is in last place, by far, but the Wii is where it's at solely because Nintendo knows how to market.

Nintendo's gameplan since the GBA seems more or less to fuck the fans over. Whatever puts money in Nintendo's pocket. This has become more and more apparent but most people are pretty much blind to it. First party title or published by Nintendo? No sense in waiting for it to drop price if you're interested in it, it'll never happen as Nintendo would rather discontinue a game that doesn't sell well rather than help the fans. Mario 64 DS is still at 29.99.

Another thing Nintendo likes to do is release products, accessories, that they'll never support again and it's up to third party developers to release games for it. But what third party developer would put money in a game for an accessory that may not happen to sell very well? Looks like you've got yourself quite the paperweight with the balance board once you're through with Wii Fit. There's also the Wii Zapper, which you don't really need, but has Nintendo supported that other than the game that came along with it, Link's Crossbow Training(there have been a couple third party titles, but absolutely no first party support?)

Let's not forget Nintendo's two systems, the GBA and Gamecube, that they completely dropped support for once the DS and Wii were release. It was after the DS' release that they released the GBA Micro but they don't even support the system? Sure it was a total failure, but why release the system if you're not going to continue putting out games for it? Sony is still selling the PS2 and they're still supporting it(though it was late last year since anything first party came out on it.)

Doesn't matter if they have the top selling systems, the company is a piece of crap. The Wii isn't even getting good third party support. DS is a great system though(with the majority of good games third party, but a couple good first party games.) PS360 are the only console systems that are getting good games on a regular basis, both first party and third party.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 05-25-2009 at 09:03 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think most people here would be interested in an Apple games console anyway. The whole thing would be tied into iTunes and the games would be download only: no boxes or manuals to clog up your shelves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's exactly what I have been and will continue to do!

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Apple should not make a console. The Pippin was horrible enough. I actually argued with a Gamestop employee about this. He thinks Apple should come into the console market.

It boils down to this. If Apple computers can't play games in the first place, then how the hell can an Apple video game console even work out?

Also, see Pippin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I couldn't agree with you more! People bought into all of the hype surrounding the Wii just because it has motion sensing, big fucking deal! Top quality games are very scarce and like you mentioned they release these fucking gay accessories that these morons go out and buy and Nintendo and other companies don't even support them...so people spend good $$ on an accessory they get like 2 weeks use out of.