Thread: The Atari published version of BMX Airmaster may not be a 10 in rarity

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Default The Atari published version of BMX Airmaster may not be a 10 in rarity

I think Atari internal sales figures 3,384 copies being sold for Bmx Airmaster show the rarity is to high. I think it is a 9 as a result.

My proof is the attachment. It is an excel spread sheet. I recorded the copies of all Atari 2600 game sales in copies from 1986 to 1990 according to Curt Vendel's Documents.

If you look at 103A on excel, you will see BMX Air Master. That row shows the copies sold of the Atari published version of the game from 1986 to 1990. The 3,384 copies sold is the final total from those years.

I am willing to upload the Atari 2600 internal sales documents that Curt Vendel posted on Atariage if my excel spreadsheet if not enough proof if I get the okay from him.
    Last edited by 7th lutz; 06-01-2009 at 08:51 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

And how many times did I look at that game in Atari's mail-order lists, but never order it? It was one of the cheapest games they had in their catalog, I could have easily bought one. But I was never interested in BMX bike racing. Dammit!

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 7th lutz View Post
    I think Atari internal sales figures 3,384 copies being sold for Bmx Airmaster show the rarity is to high. I think it is a 9 as a result.
    Number sold isn't a fair indication of the number still around today.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

So Atari sold 3,000+ copies of BMX Air Master? Fine...which version? rolenta (Leonard Herman) ordered the game directly from Atari circa 1991 attempting to get the reissue, but was sent the original TNT version of the game.

Those numbers are meaningless.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

I don't think it is a 10 either.

That being said the number produced means nothing. It is the number that are in collections today. It can give you some idea but the rarity factor is for the number that have survived.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PingvinBlueJeans View Post
    So Atari sold 3,000+ copies of BMX Air Master? Fine...which version? rolenta (Leonard Herman) ordered the game directly from Atari circa 1991 attempting to get the reissue, but was sent the original TNT version of the game.

Those numbers are meaningless.
    I was guessing it was the Atari version because it wouldn't make sense for Atari to record sales of the TNT version BMX Airmaster in 1989 unless Atari was still getting a rid of the TNT copies first.

It appeared like TNT published BMX Airmaster according to my Atari DP guide and that means TNT would've had the numbers on their documents, not Atari.

When you mentioned Leonard Herman, it seemed I was off by my guess. Leonard Herman is a legit source. I heard of Leonard Herman before visiting DP around 2000 or 2001. I heard of him by Phoenix: The Fall & Rise of Videogames being mentioned by Gameinformer in 1993.

Leonard Herman ordered the game directly from Atari like I was looking at ordering Atari 7800 or 2600 games from Atari myself.

In 1990 or 1991, I was looking at ordering video games by Atari and Atari gave a list of games they had including 2600 games through giving me the list by mail as result. I recalled seeing Bmx Airmaster on the list of games I could from Atari.