Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

Default Iwata: next Nintendo console will probably be HD

in 2006:

E3 2006: Miyamoto: Successor to Wii HD
    The Nintendo mogul has given us the first hint of the follow-up to Wii.
    by Daemon Hatfield

May 11, 2006 - Speaking at a Q&A session at E3 yesterday, Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto defended the decision not to include HD technology with the Wii, but added that the company's next system would be HD compatible.

Miyamoto explained that the number of HDTV's in homes is "really not that high, yet. Of course I think five years down the road it would be pretty much a given that Nintendo would create an HD system, but right now the predominant television set in the world is a non-HD set."

Miyamoto added: "We thought it would be better to create a system that allows you to interact with any TV set you have in your home in an entirely new, different way, and even kind of turn that into a toy for your TV that anyone can pick up, interact with and enjoy - rather than only the people who have a very high-tech, specific kind of TV set."

So there you go. HD Mario is only a mere five years away.
    http://wii.ign.com/articles/707/707800p1.html

in 2009
    E3 2009: Nintendo Sees No Reason for Wii HD
    Iwata says no plans for high definition iteration of console.
    by Martin Robinson, IGN UK

UK, June 5, 2009 - Satoru Iwata has said that there is currently no reason to make an HD compatible version of the Wii console, saying such an iteration would have no 'significant meaning' to users.

Despite speculative reports to the contrary, the Nintendo President told Venturebeat 'As far as the Wii is concerned, we have not found a significant reason to make it HD-compatible at this time. What is the significant meaning to the users? I don't think we should do it unless we find that reason.'

An HD Wii was heavily rumoured last October, and industry analysts have been confident that such hardware was imminent.

An HD Nintendo console is inevitable, however, with Iwata going onto say, 'If we decide for other reasons to make new hardware, then HD is one of the things we would naturally add.'
    http://wii.ign.com/articles/992/992075p1.html

Wii Successor to be HD
    During a question and answer session yesterday, Miyamoto revealed that
    Nintendo plans to include HD in the Wii's successor.

"Of course I think five years down the road it would be pretty much a
    given that Nintendo would create an HD system, but right now the
    predominant television set in the world is a non-HD set."

Good news for fans that wanted HD with the Wii.
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...-down-hd-route

"If we have an opportunity to make a new console, it will probably support HD because it is now common throughout the world. However, as far as the Wii is concerned, we have not found a significant reason to make it HD-compatible at this time. What is the significant meaning to the users? I don’t think we should do it unless we find that reason. If we decide for other reasons to make new hardware, then HD is one of the things we would naturally add."
    http://venturebeat.com/2009/06/04/ni...or-free-games/

Miyamoto Says New Technology Might Force the Wii to Go HD
    But doesn't confirm anything

Nintendo is one of the most influential console manufacturers in the world, having won the next-gen gaming device war with the Wii. The small white console gained critical acclaim for its unique motion sensitive controls and the complete revamp of old fashion controllers.

The massive amount of casual games which appeal to all kinds of players has also helped the Wii in solidifying the foothold it has on the console market. As a testimony to the huge appeal it has, two years since its launch, the console still enjoys such huge demand that Nintendo is worried it might not respect the holiday demand for the Wii and advised customers to buy their units early.

One major drawback of the small console is that it doesn't support the true next-gen graphics that the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 can display on High Definition TVs. Although rumors have appeared on the Internet that the Japanese company might be working on a version of the Wii capable of supporting HD gaming, no official statements have been delivered by Nintendo.

One of the most influential people in the company, lead game designer Shigeru Miyamoto, responsible for hits like Mario or The Legend of Zelda, has recently expressed his opinion on a possible HD Wii console. He said that technology is constantly changing and that Nintendo should change with it.

“I'm afraid we cannot confirm what we are doing today,” said Miyamoto. “But the fact of the matter is that technology is evolving all the time and in Japan, for example (....). All the analogue broadcast will be stopped and shifted into the digital broadcasting. So many things are taking place and we are working in terms of the changes of the technologies all the time.”

Although this is no confirmation, it's safe to say that a Wii HD is under development and only time will tell when the Japanese company is going to make it public.
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Miyam...HD-97580.shtml

Nintendo: the Wii and DS Won't Last Forever, New Consoles Will Arrive
    So says the president of the company

Nintendo has been going through a great period in terms of sales and popularity in the last few years, thanks to the release of the DS and Wii consoles, which have changed the way people view gaming in general.

The two devices have been breaking sales records left and right, with the small handheld console managing to ship one million units just last month across North America, even though a lot of years have passed since their releases. This demand is still pretty strong, but Nintendo is already making plans for the moment when the market will be saturated.

The President of the company, Satoru Iwata, has revealed to investors in a recent financial meeting that the Wii and DS won't last forever, but the engineers at the company are hard at work creating new devices, which will be released when the time is right, even though they might be already finished and ready for production.

“We do not think that Nintendo DS and Wii will last forever,” Iwata says. “Our internal hardware teams are always researching and working on new hardware so that we can launch them whenever we find a very interesting idea. New hardware is not needed until the time our software developers see the end in making new software with the existing hardware, or unless we have no more new market to explore and all the potential consumers have purchased our hardware.”

Iwata continues and reveals that, “The more decisive factor is when the software developers will start demanding for new hardware as they cannot create any more software with surprise factors with the existing one. Nintendo has always been making the hardware in order to prepare for that day to come.”

So, it seems that Nintendo is already making long-term plans regarding new devices, with the most speculated one being an HD version of the Wii, which would put it on a par with current generation consoles in terms of power.

Nintendo Wii 2 and HD

With Nintendo seemingly having the ‘worst’ E3 2009 compared to Sony and Microsoft, an article we have found explains the reason why a Nintendo Wii 2 console with HD capabilities is inevitable.

The article comes from GamingVice, who have started by stating a quote from Nintendo President Satoru Iwata who has himself said ‘It’s about time’ a new Nintendo Wii console was launched.

While many gamers feel the Nintendo Wii is way behind the Xbox 360 and PS3 and even more so after E3, GamingVice have suggested ways in which this could prove an advantage to Nintendo.

By announcing an HD-ready Wii console and HD enabled games such as Mario, Metroid, Donkey Kong and Zelda, it could be just the thing that puts Nintendo firmly back in favour with gamers.
    http://www.product-reviews.net/2009/...-wii-2-and-hd/

New Wii due by 2011

By John Davison, September 30, 2008

What They Play has heard from multiple sources in the game development and publishing community that Nintendo is currently showing early presentations of its next home console hardware. Apparently set to hit the market “by 2011” the new device is said to be the true “next generation” Nintendo console, and far more than a simple refresh of the current hardware. Unlike previous console transitions from Nintendo, the new system will be presented as a true successor to the Wii, and is being dubbed by those that have seen the presentation as “Wii HD.” There is no indication if this will be its eventual name, but the nature of the transition has been characterized as similar to “the shift from Game Boy to Game Boy Advance,” where familiar, key elements were left intact while the core hardware was made more powerful. It is expected by all those that we have spoken to on the subject that the new device will retain the Wii name in part.

While our sources are reluctant to be too specific about “Wii HD,” they have been able to divulge some (albeit predictable) generalizations. High definition visuals are assured, as is a greater emphasis on digitally distributed and backwardly compatible content, indicating that the new system will feature some form of local storage medium such as a hard drive or large flash memory solution. It has also been indicated that Nintendo’s emphasis is again on what the consumer will hold in their hands and interact with, rather than the “console” itself.

Nintendo has proven it can be extremely successful by leveraging processor technology that is not on the bleeding edge, and be more profitable and more innovative as a result. In a 2006 interview with Business Week, Nintendo visionary Shigeru Miyamoto stated, “The consensus [at Nintendo] was that power isn't everything for a console. Too many powerful consoles can't coexist. It's like having only ferocious dinosaurs. They might fight and hasten their own extinction.” Based on our conversations about “Wii HD” this attitude would seem to still prevail.

But why should you believe this? Everything stated so far could easily have been the result of educated guesswork or speculation. While a Nintendo representative provided the expected response that, “Nintendo does not comment on speculation or rumor,” there is additional evidence, outside this commentary, to suggest that something is going on.

In 2003, Nintendo declared that $34 million was spent on R&D. This figure steadily climbed to $103 million in 2006 and the following year bumped dramatically to $370 million.

Based on figures from Nintendo’s annual financial reports, the company is currently spending more than ten times as much on research and development as it was five years ago, and since the Wii was launched in 2006, R&D spending has more than tripled. While this could be attributed to any number of additional projects, the level of spending suggests that a large project is in the works. In 2003, Nintendo declared that $34 million was spent on R&D. This figure steadily climbed to $103 million in 2006 (the year that the Wii launched) and the following year bumped dramatically to $370 million. When asked to explain the escalated spending, Nintendo representatives were unable to provide comment.

The current Wii hardware is based upon processors and graphics technology supplied by IBM and AMD. These two companies have a joint development agreement together, which is described by AMD as being focused “on delivering a range of integrated platforms to serve key markets, including … gaming and media computing.”

The joint development agreement between IBM and AMD expires on December 31, 2011 but “may be extended further by the mutual agreement of the parties.” This suggests that Nintendo will be leveraging research and development from the partnership in time to ensure that it’s new hardware will be compatible with the Wii’s current “Hollywood” and “Broadway” processors. As Microsoft learned in the transition from Xbox to Xbox 360, switching hardware vendors can make running older games on a new system a much more difficult proposition.

The dramatic bump in spending at Nintendo may also be reflective of Nintendo’s work on a rumored new DS, said to feature a camera and music player. Iterating on the DS in 2009 would certainly shake up the market, though given the incredible monthly sales of the device it hardly needs reinvigorating for the time being. When the Nintendo DS was launched in 2004, the worldwide installed base of the Game Boy Advance was 53 million (on top of the Game Boy’s incredibly huge 118 million.) So far, 80 million Nintendo DS units have been sold worldwide, and demand shows no sign of slowing.
    http://www.whattheyplay.com/blog/200...i-due-by-2011/
    Last edited by parallaxscroll; 06-05-2009 at 04:55 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The 2006 quote is ridiculous.

First of all, just because most people do not have a HD set does not mean that most of your customers do not have an HD set. I bet if you did a survey of people with vs people without a current gen video game console in their home, the vast majority of the ones with a console will have HD.

Secondly, having your console output 720p is not exclusive to having it output 480i. The idea that a console with the potential for HD output would somehow not work with "any television" is absurd.

I sincerely hope these are just mistranslations.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll believe it when I read it. Do you have any links or quotes to support this claim?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I have to hear Nintendo announcing it for a release first to believe it.
    Last edited by 7th lutz; 06-06-2009 at 09:39 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

All of my consoles are hooked up at a 32 inch flatscreen but I don't know if i'll be buying a new console at all. I have a wii and I haven't bought a game in almost a year, save for my girlfriend buying Paper Mario for us to play.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zing View Post
    I bet if you did a survey of people with vs people without a current gen video game console in their home, the vast majority of the ones with a console will have HD.
    What you've stated is absolutely true. However, you have to step back and look at who buys Wiis. The gamer and tech aficionado would definitely buy an HD console, but as Iwata stated at the press conference, the "maybe" group is much higher. That "maybe" group doesn't have HDTV yet, or they're just making the transition. Those are the people that buy "fullscreen" DVDs and play them on their HDTV without setting the DVD player to 16:9. By the time the Wii2 is developed, the current crop of "maybe" customers will be ready to appreciate it. Good marketing, if you ask me.

Secondly, having your console output 720p is not exclusive to having it output 480i. The idea that a console with the potential for HD output would somehow not work with "any television" is absurd.
    It is if you consider game development. As it is, games on the PS3 and 360 tend to go letterbox in SDTV mode. Developers are going to try for the best picture possible on 720p and above, but it's difficult to design a game to be played in two different aspect ratios. 4:3 and 16:9 have different FOV, so to accommodate 4:3 you couldn't have anything important on the sides of the screen.

Is it too early to start thinking about names? I'd like to suggest Wii New Entertainment Revolution, WiiNER. Imagine all the people lined up to get their hands on a WiiNER.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    Is it too early to start thinking about names? I'd like to suggest Wii New Entertainment Revolution, WiiNER. Imagine all the people lined up to get their hands on a WiiNER.
    Those are stupid. How about Wii Plus or the corny Nintendo NJoy?
    "Tell her you want to slide a hot throbbing cartridge in her warm tight console port. And if it starts blinking and flashing to just slide it back out and blow on it a little."--Sothy

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just have a feeling that we're going to have the Atari 5200 all over again...

"What do you mean we have to buy a whole new machine?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just have a feeling that we're going to have the Atari 5200 all over again...

"What do you mean we have to buy a whole new machine?"

I'll buy it.

I think 2011 is a reasonable time for a new console. All they have to do is upgrade it enough to make people feel it's worth it. And make it backwards compatible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by 7th lutz View Post
    I have to hear Nintendo announcing it for a release first to believe it.

I might be not get the next Nintendo game console than if it is true.

I bought a 32 in. SDTV in 2006 and it has tubes. I use it for my gamecube, Saturn, Dreamcast, tg-16, Atari 7800, SMS, Snes, playstation 1, dish tv, and to watch regular channels in digital.

I have another tv set that I have since the early 90's and is a small tv set. The only way I get it replace is when the tubes go on it.

I used the older television set for my playstation 2, top loading Nes, Genesis Model 1/32x, and Wii.
    You do realize just because a console is HD capable, it doesn't mean it won't work with standard definition displays, right? Otherwise, what you said is stupid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is any of this news? Of course Nintendo's next console will be HD-capable. It would be absurd if it wasn't. Making an HD-capable version of the Wii, however, would not make sense. It has to be a new system.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

I see the HD capable Wii with the motion plus controller built in as the next "version" of the Wii. They totally are going to release it, it is just a matter of time. Nintnedo is all about mini upgrades to systems these days. This would be a great way to offer the same system with bells and whistles added. I know I would buy one.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

4:3 and 16:9 have different FOV, so to accommodate 4:3 you couldn't have anything important on the sides of the screen.
    If you look at the current Wii 16:9 games, this is already exactly how they handle it. It goes so far as having the game's HUD/menu elements remain in the 4:3 rendering area even when outputting 16:9 anamorphic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Meancode
    PSN
    Meancode

Is this honestly a surprise to anyone? In five years time, yes, I believe the majority of people will have an HD set in their house.
    Ken Edwards
    Blogcritics.org Editor

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

What you've stated is absolutely true. However, you have to step back and look at who buys Wiis. The gamer and tech aficionado would definitely buy an HD console, but as Iwata stated at the press conference, the "maybe" group is much higher. That "maybe" group doesn't have HDTV yet, or they're just making the transition. Those are the people that buy "fullscreen" DVDs and play them on their HDTV without setting the DVD player to 16:9. By the time the Wii2 is developed, the current crop of "maybe" customers will be ready to appreciate it. Good marketing, if you ask me.

It is if you consider game development. As it is, games on the PS3 and 360 tend to go letterbox in SDTV mode. Developers are going to try for the best picture possible on 720p and above, but it's difficult to design a game to be played in two different aspect ratios. 4:3 and 16:9 have different FOV, so to accommodate 4:3 you couldn't have anything important on the sides of the screen.

As Nintendo has found in the last six months, however, the "maybe" group also doesn't buy games. Planning your whole strategy for HD transition around a group of people who may or may not buy a second console down the road is not a good way to go. It's one time money that can't sustain growth forever. Yes, Nintendo has had a good three years, but ultimately, it's the core customers who actually play games and buy games who will keep the company profitable. Those customers want and expect HD and are hoping for a new Nintendo system which is up to at least the processing and graphics standards of the 360 and PS3. Hopefully we won't be disappointed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Will the wii successor will be HD compatible ?

So, what's the big deal about it ? .....

Releasing a Non-HD compatible console would be very stupid for Nintendo, even in Mexico too many people are buying LCD HD Tv sets like crazy, the current prices of this TV technology is very low and very good quality
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

yeah I see it as inevitable they need some more processing power some HD a nice new case to make it look new and keep it backwards compatible and the price reasonable (lower than competition) and theyre good

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

The 2006 quote is ridiculous.

First of all, just because most people do not have a HD set does not mean that most of your customers do not have an HD set. I bet if you did a survey of people with vs people without a current gen video game console in their home, the vast majority of the ones with a console will have HD.
    I'd be willing to bet you my house that the majority of Nintendo cistomers did not have an HDTV when that quote was made (mid 2006).

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoCandy View Post
    All of my consoles are hooked up at a 32 inch flatscreen but I don't know if i'll be buying a new console at all. I have a wii and I haven't bought a game in almost a year, save for my girlfriend buying Paper Mario for us to play.
    Punch-Out!! came out a few weeks ago, pick it up you'll love it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

I still can't understand why they didn't enable DVD playback in the thing, at least.

As Jimmy would say - Come on!
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

What's not to understand? It costs money getting a license from the DVD Forum to enable DVD playback. They did it to cut costs to improve profit margins or to lower the price they'd have to sell the Wii at.