Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Perfect Dark 64 Coming To Xbox Live Arcade March 17, 2010

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Perfect Dark 64 Coming To Xbox Live Arcade March 17, 2010

Ever since Nintendo cockblocked Microsoft from releasing Goldeneye 64 over XBLA the most asked question(other than why) was when would Perfect Dark 64 be coming instead. The answer is this winter(which I actually found out on Xbox live yesterday) as the original Perfect Dark gets an Xbox 360 makeover. Well, sort of. So far it's looking to be a straight port with 1080p support and achievements. But what about online multiplayer and leaderboard scores? Unfortunately they haven't been announced....atleast not yet.

Although I still want online multiplayer I'm definitely going to be purchasing this for one main reason: better control. I've played both the import version of Perfect Dark 64 and Goldeneye 64 and I just couldn't get use to those controls for a shooter. This is most likely due to me being use to shooter controls on both the Xbox/360 and PS1/PS2. So the newly mapped 360 controls should feel very natural to me and I can't wait to try it out.

Edit 2/12/10: The last post has been updated with all the final details with the exception of the exact release day next month.
    Last edited by The 1 2 P; 02-24-2010 at 05:49 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

This is awsome. If we cant have bond, then perfect dark will do fine. It would be nice if we could get a 60fs vesion of this game. That would rock.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

I would pay $60 for this if it was fully featured (including at least everything from the N64 version) and full online support with all of the multiplayer modes supported online with everyone. Leaderboards would be most important.

/me crosses fingers

I'm still sore about GE not coming to be, but this is great news.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

Damn it, thanks to this I no longer have any clean towels for my lap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm pretty excited for this. I don't know if it's been outright confirmed that 4J Studios is doing the port again, but there's about a snowball's chance in hell of it being anyone else. Given their track record with their ports, I think it's totally reasonable to expect the framerate issues to be handled.

For me, that'll make this the first Perfect Dark worth playing. I really wanted to love it on the N64, but god damn was it an absolute mess.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I gather everyone's pretty much forgotten Perfect Dark Zero now?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Yes.

I am buying this if the frame rate is solid. That is literally the only thing that has to change to get my sale. Higher resolutions would be great too, as it would make split screen that much better. Online play would be super awesome. Single player still being there would be nice but I am both not counting on it and not expecting it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Quote Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
    Yes.

I am buying this if the frame rate is solid. That is literally the only thing that has to change to get my sale. Higher resolutions would be great too, as it would make split screen that much better. Online play would be super awesome. Single player still being there would be nice but I am both not counting on it and not expecting it.
    I would like the modification of having the Classic Weapons (GoldenEye) as multiplayer weapons. Thats basically the only game mechanics specific addition I would support.
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    What a mess.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Game felt fine for me when playing it on the N64. With regular FPS controls it would be improved though, yes.

And one more thing. God damn! Finally another game I really want the 360 for. I can play it anytime on the N64 with friends, but man. Online multiplayer ftw and coming from the best FPS. Golden Eye was the second best, but Perfect Dark basically had almost everything Goldeneye had plus some cooler weapons like the Dragon secondary, the Super Dragon, the one gun that if you lock on you stay locked on, and my personal favorite, Double Cyclones with magazine discharge(waste someone in half a second.)
    Last edited by kupomogli; 06-06-2009 at 07:26 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Single player still being there would be nice but I am both not counting on it and not expecting it.
    Huh? Your the only one not expecting it to be there and is willing to accept that the game isn't there when you spend 1200 points on this...

I'm not concerned since what you just said doesn't make any sense. What we're going to get is Perfect Dark with treatment similar to what Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie recieved, with hopefully the addition of online play added for things like the co-op mode.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 06-07-2009 at 12:04 AM.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Perfect Dark multiplayer was better than Goldeneye. Although I loved the campaign section of Goldeneye (way more than PD). If there were any features I wished that PD had, it would be multiplayer without split screen. I played the shit out of this game during college.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well this is great... or at least it would be.

The problem is that there is no way to get the expansion pak plugged into the xbox 360. You know what that means... this sucker's gonna be multiplayer only.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Elysiun
    PSN
    Sabaku_Hoshi
    Steam
    Nionel

I don't know how reliable it is, as there was no citation, but Wikipedia lists that the game will feature improved graphics, online multiplayer, and leaderboards.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nionel View Post
    I don't know how reliable it is, as there was no citation, but Wikipedia lists that the game will feature improved graphics, online multiplayer, and leaderboards.
    I think that those are the goals that Microsoft is attempting to hit for this release but they just haven't been finalized yet. If you read the first article I have linked it's even more depressing how close Microsoft got to releasing Goldeneye for XBLA. They were going to give Nintendo a ton of money for it, but ultimately the big "N" didn't want the game appearing on a non-Nintendo console. Understandable but still a shame. Also, it says that the game never came out for the Wii virtual console either but I thought it did
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
    Huh? Your the only one not expecting it to be there and is willing to accept that the game isn't there when you spend 1200 points on this...

I'm not concerned since what you just said doesn't make any sense. What we're going to get is Perfect Dark with treatment similar to what Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie recieved, with hopefully the addition of online play added for things like the co-op mode.
    I am just aware of how laziness can be with ports is all. Most of us only want it for the multiplayer anyway.

edit: well i mean, want the multiplayer more than we do the singleplayer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am just aware of how laziness can be with ports is all. Most of us only want it for the multiplayer anyway.
    With 4J behind it, I don't think there's anything to be worried about. Multiplayer and Singleplayer are going to be in for sure and they mentioned some new stuff but I don't know what that all entails (other than achievements).

The guys may not have the best track record with their inhouse games (I liked Star Trek: Encounters for what it was, a lot of people did not), but the engine that they've cooked up for bringing N64 games over to the 360 is fucking fantastic. It's a shame Nintendo doesn't hire them to bring stuff to WiiWare instead of just dumping crap on VC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    If you read the first article I have linked it's even more depressing how close Microsoft got to releasing Goldeneye for XBLA. They were going to give Nintendo a ton of money for it, but ultimately the big "N" didn't want the game appearing on a non-Nintendo console. Understandable but still a shame. Also, it says that the game never came out for the Wii virtual console either but I thought it did
    Was only going to appear on the Virtual Console as part of a agreement to have Nintendo agree to Activision (Which doesn't want to damage its relationship with Nintendo) sublicensing the 007 license to Rare. In other words, a VC release was only going to happen if they secured the 007 license so they could release the XBLA title. Nintendo wasn't cooperative even with that offer and told Activision they'd prefer if they didn't allow MS to get the 007 license.

Too bad Activision was so cautious and wanted Nintendo's blessings, since Nintendo shouldn't of had any say in the matter. Luckily Perfect Dark didn't use any other company's IP.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 06-07-2009 at 09:34 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's a free theme on the XBLM too right now.
    And don't bring up that stupid girlie Aladdin rip off! Shantea?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
    Was only going to appear on the Virtual Console as part of a agreement to have Nintendo agree to Activision (Which doesn't want to damage its relationship with Nintendo) sublicensing the 007 license to Rare. In other words, a VC release was only going to happen if they secured the 007 license so they could release the XBLA title. Nintendo wasn't cooperative even with that offer and told Activision they'd prefer if they didn't allow MS to get the 007 license.

Too bad Activision was so cautious and wanted Nintendo's blessings, since Nintendo shouldn't of had any say in the matter. Luckily Perfect Dark didn't use any other company's IP.
    Thank you for clearing that up for me. It makes much more sense now. Still, I think Rare(who made the game and owns the engine for it) should have been allowed to make it(the updated rerelease) provided they licensed out the 007 license from Activision. Now that I know Nintendo was the main force against this and Activision was just trying to appease them, Microsoft should have just gave the game a different title on XBLA.

Plus, since Microsoft allowed the Blue Dragon series to appear on the DS I would have thought Nintendo and Microsoft had a much stronger relationship. Hopefully the game gets released over XBLA eventually, especially since it's pretty much finished anyway.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P