Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Gaming Night at Schenley's - 7/18/09; Central N.J.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

It turned out to be a superb gathering. More info after I get some rest...

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Now THAT was fun.

It's been a long time since I was able to unwind at a gaming party with zero responsibilities. I mean, I actually got to PLAY at a gaming party. Incredible!

Great crowd, nice to chill with the usual suspects and always cool catching up with Drexel360 and Chandler who I don't see enough of these days. And equally cool to meet the South Jersey Classic gang - at last I can put the faces to the online nicknames.

Huge thanks to AJ (Schenley) and the Mrs. for hosting. Other than a convention, I don't think I've ever seen so many game systems simultaneously running. Extra thanks for allowing me to crash there - hope I didn't wake anyone up on the way out. You guys ROCK.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    I Am Your Face
    PSN
    Solertia

AMAZING time. Fun hanging with the SJC gang as well as meeting new people! Schenley, thanks for an awesome time, your basement is incredible haha.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

AJ, as always I had a wonderful time, and appreciate your hospitality, thanks.

Last night was a blast, and was well worth my day-long exhaustion.

For those of you that weren't there (or weren't all there), the event was almost (there was almost no interest in Two Tigers; thanks Sal) all it was hyped to be:

* I got to play Two Tigers, and achieve a new best score.
    * I played some Time Pilot, and pushed aside AJ's high score, in his own house!
    * Kid Ice defended his title as Minister of Mayhem. Noone else was even in his league.
    * Dragster reverberated throughout the basement for quite some time.
    * The Schenley Tavern was open for business, with the business partnership division working on a project involving an especially sought after videogame artifact and an unusually large bottle of Tanqueray
    * Many classic computers made the soiree, including a CoCo, an XL (800XL?), and a C64. Nearby, a young Netbook was heard snickering.....
    * Some impressive and voluminous tradeboxes were hauled to the meet. Lots of neat stuff, and a fair number of deals transpired.
    * VERY LARGE-screen Dreamcast goodness. Ikaruga, RUSH 2049, etc....
    * Lots more MAME - Galaga, Elevator Action, as well as many fighting games. (Based on the limited occasions I've visited the South Jersey guys, I'd say they tend to like fighting games a lot.)
    * Any console you can think of, it was there, and probably hooked up and in use.
    * Awesome Pepperoni Bread. I'd never heard of Pepperoni Bread, and I loved it.
    * Air-balloon combat. Frisbee Golf. Fencing. Archery. Yes, a Wii was involved, and it was a lot of fun.
    * All Mixed Up. 29 Fingers. Working Man. Rock Band 2 took center stage, promptly at some time after 3am. Family members surprisingly didn't wake up and complain. Neither did Kid Ice.

Finally, to erase any doubt that I lack an appropriate amount of self-discipline or maturity, I returned to my car at 5:09am, SHARP, and spent the next hour getting a fill-up and driving home. About 9 hours of fun, all told.

Thanks again Schenley, and thanks to everyone else that was there for a very fun night.
    Last edited by NoahsMyBro; 07-20-2009 at 05:20 PM.
    "A 'Radical Centrist' ??? Isn't that like being a Take-No-Prisoners Pussy? " - Stephen Colbert
    My Resume
    My Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GnawRadar

Quote Originally Posted by NoahsMyBro View Post
    AJ, as always I had a wonderful time, and appreciate your hospitality, thanks.

Last night was a blast, and was well worth my day-long exhaustion.

For those of you that weren't there (or weren't all there), the event was almost (there was almost no interest in Two Tigers; thanks Sal) all it was hyped to be.
    I thought the game (Two Tigers) was an interesting game, but seemed very involved and at the point you showed me, any game that took more than minimal focus (unless I already knew it well) was probably not going to get much attention, but I tried and thank you for showing it to me.

Again, I can't thank AJ enough for hosting such an awesome night and it was great to meet Joe and actually have a conversation with him and because of that I'll probably be making my first legitimate trip to NAVA this Saturday.

Overall, an awesome time was had by all and I know I didn't want to leave so early (2-2:30AM?) and no one could beat my Robocop high score, but I'm not taking responsibility for me doing so well, the Blue Moon was the reason that score happened.

I can't wait for this to happen again!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GnawRadar View Post
    I thought the game (Two Tigers) was an interesting game, but seemed very involved and at the point you showed me, any game that took more than minimal focus (unless I already knew it well) was probably not going to get much attention, but I tried and thank you for showing it to me.

I'm afraid you misunderstood me. Nobody else showed any interest. You did. I wasn't making a dig; my thanks was sincere.
    "A 'Radical Centrist' ??? Isn't that like being a Take-No-Prisoners Pussy? " - Stephen Colbert
    My Resume
    My Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GnawRadar

Quote Originally Posted by NoahsMyBro View Post
    I'm afraid you misunderstood me. Nobody else showed any interest. You did. I wasn't making a dig; my thanks was sincere.
    My bad, I did misunderstand you and you're welcome. Sorry if I'm the only one who cared, the game was pretty cool.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow! What a blast.

Thanks to everyone who showed - I had an awesome time. I did get to play some games, but as usual when you host, the time really flies.

Awesome summary by Steve. You missed something important - probably because you didn't even realize it was going down... We had a massive PacMan vs. bout in my kids' playroom upstairs. I was sitting on a tiny kids chair and played like it too - I think I managed to break 500 points by the time Dean hit the 10,000 mark to end the round.

The Rock Band 2 round was enjoyable - thanks for catering to my house rule that Working Man is the last song that we play!

I did a whole lot of nothing on Sunday - I didn't have any energy to do anything. I think the only productive thing I did all day was take the garbage out of the basement. I did watch Gran Tourino and Vanishing Point.

Everyone who thanked me - you are most welcome. And, Joe - glad you finally rescued the pipe. ;-)
    Need. More. Games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

Quote Originally Posted by Vectorman0 View Post
    It turned out to be a superb gathering. More info after I get some rest...
    Wow, I don't remember making this post.

I had a blast. There was a great turnout and there were a million things to play, maybe even too many! It went by very quickly and felt like we needed much more time to enjoy everything.

Schenley, thanks for hosting, and please thank your wife for putting up with everything.
    Last edited by Vectorman0; 07-20-2009 at 10:45 AM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Sorry I couldn't come to this. Sounds like it was a blast.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Had a great time as usual. Thanks again AJ for hosting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Ice View Post
    Sorry I couldn't come to this. Sounds like it was a blast.
    That, right there, is funny.
    Need. More. Games.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been wanting to get into gaming events like this. You planning on hosting any more? I'm a big fan of shmups, beat em ups, fighters and classic games.