billlog
    PSN
    ArmchairArcade
    3DS Friend
    3995-6521-5257
    Steam
    Bill_Loguidice

Post Spacewar! (1962) - Latest Free Vintage Games Online Bonus Chapter

The sixth of nine free online bonus chapters that are in addition to the 25 chapters found in our book, Vintage Games: An Insider Look at the History of Grand Theft Auto, Super Mario, and the Most Influential Games of All Time, available at booksellers worldwide, including Amazon.com, is now available. Head on over to Gamasutra to read Spacewar! (1962): The Best Waste of Time in the History of the Universe. The remaining three online bonus chapters, released one a month, will be Defender, Robotron: 2084 and Star Raiders, which will form the complete set of 34 chapters between the book and online. Don't forget there are well over 100 bonus images not found in the book or in the online bonus chapters, available here. Want to know what others' think of the book? Check it out here and don't forget to get yourself a copy!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I smell spam. Major spam.

Armchair Arcade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    billlog
    PSN
    ArmchairArcade
    3DS Friend
    3995-6521-5257
    Steam
    Bill_Loguidice

That's certainly one way to look at it. Another way is that it's just me getting the word out on a key forum. If it were spam it would probably involve some type of reference to personal performance enhancement rather than a link to an article on Spacewar! and a book on videogame history...

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I gotta say, and I know you work with Matt Barton on this, one of the things that makes his videos near unwatchable is his plugs for the books *before* the videos talk about what they're supposed to.

Maybe this is a US/British thing but if the plugs came at the end, instead of before the meat of the video, they'd be easier to watch. I have yet to finish a Matt Chat video for this very reason.

My two cents.

-Alli
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Armchair Arcade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    billlog
    PSN
    ArmchairArcade
    3DS Friend
    3995-6521-5257
    Steam
    Bill_Loguidice

Quote Originally Posted by AB Positive View Post
    I gotta say, and I know you work with Matt Barton on this, one of the things that makes his videos near unwatchable is his plugs for the books *before* the videos talk about what they're supposed to.

Maybe this is a US/British thing but if the plugs came at the end, instead of before the meat of the video, they'd be easier to watch. I have yet to finish a Matt Chat video for this very reason.

My two cents.

-Alli
    I don't work with him on the videos, but if you don't like the 30 seconds to two minutes of plugs in a free 10 minute video that he does at his own expense and on his own time that you can just skip past if you don't want to watch, then I imagine there are tons of things on TV, the Internet, movies, radio, etc., that you find "unwatchable" or whatever the relevant sense is. In other words, my two cents is just get over it. It's your choice to watch or not watch. Really, we do tons of things for free, for the few things that we make literally a few pennies at, like our books or upcoming feature film documentary, I don't think it's too much to ask to put up with a little "pimping" now and again. The word has to be spread about this stuff somehow. Of course you can always do your own stuff for free and not promote it, but I doubt you'd have much motivation to continue if you're just talking to yourself (i.e., not doing any promotion for it).