Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

I just wish the people on my friends list would get rid of their avatar gamer pictures. When I hit the guide button to check the list...it takes FOREVER to load all those custom avatar pictures. The friends who have the "classic" non-avatar gamer pictures load up within 2 seconds.

The NXE is so damn slow it drives me nuts on a daily basis. Love the "install to hard drive" and party system features...but everything else is slow, advertisment-filled, crap IMO. I'd happily go back to the 5 "blade" style if I could.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Red Warrior View Post
    I could be wrong about this, but I think the longer loading times are due to NXE being based on Vista technology... hence the extreme slowness. Can anyone confirm this?
    That's a negative ghost rider, the pattern is full.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jdc View Post
    Don't get me wrong...I can get used to it. I just don't like the Mii that's there to remind me that I'm no longer a 49 year old adult...I'm a 12 year old kid in their eyes.
    Really though, once you get your Mii it set up you never look at it again unless you want to. And to be honest I think 90% of 360 owners have completely forgot about them. I haven't seen mine (nor anybody else's) in months.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like NXE because of the installation option, which made playing Fallout 3 a lot less annoying for me. I don't really miss the blade functionality because most of it is there at the press of a button with popup menu thing. I always use that unless I'm going into the marketplace, which does load hella slow for me, or going to pick from my Arcade games. I haven't really messed with my Avatar since I made it.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    Once you have it, you can't get rid of it.

But there is a tip that microsoft keeps ignoring with the NXE that makes it much better. It wasn't designed to be the "dashboard" like the blades were. It's more of a mall with window displays letting you quickly browse what's new and exciting. If you actually want to get anything done on the console, you're supposed to hit the guide button and just use the menus in there. You're usually no more then 5 or so button presses from getting anywhere.
    i agree with this. i rather like the new system. although i have to admit that sony's is a lot more intuitive (even if it isnt as good for browsing)

Quote Originally Posted by NE146 View Post
    Really though, once you get your Mii it set up you never look at it again unless you want to. And to be honest I think 90% of 360 owners have completely forgot about them. I haven't seen mine (nor anybody else's) in months.
    really? thats strange i see mine everytime my system boots. to be fair i didnt take the thing too seriously anyway and ended up creating elvis. anytime i browse over to the friends tab (usually accidentally since im lost) i see Miis too

Quote Originally Posted by Red Warrior View Post
    I could be wrong about this, but I think the longer loading times are due to NXE being based on Vista technology... hence the extreme slowness. Can anyone confirm this?
    wut?
    Last edited by Poofta!; 06-15-2009 at 07:41 PM.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

NE146....how do you make it so that you DON'T see the Mii? That's what I want to make disappear. I can live with everything else. It's there waving and stretching on the main screen every time I turn on the console.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    CROM JR

guys

all you have to do is press the xbox button the menu in that is quicker than the blades were... geez

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jdc View Post
    NE146....how do you make it so that you DON'T see the Mii? That's what I want to make disappear. I can live with everything else. It's there waving and stretching on the main screen every time I turn on the console.
    Really? I thought it just comes up to the "disc" screen and you don't see the avatar.

<edit> Ok I just tried it out and now I know what happens. It does come up to the disc screen, but indeed you can see your avatar is on the next screen (unscrolled) to the right.

HOWEVER.. I guess I'm just so used to immediately hitting the middle button at startup, it quickly covers up their ugly mug I basically never even scroll or click around NXE.. it's middle button pretty much exclusively.

Incidentally, my Mii is a black lady.. I played around today and made it an old white lady with gray hair. It's really not all that serious

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Incidentally, my Mii is a black lady.. I played around today and made it an old white lady with gray hair. It's really not all that serious
    I'm sensing a pattern here. No need to be ashamed. The DP community supports your "lifestyle choices".
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

And to be honest I think 90% of 360 owners have completely forgot about them. I haven't seen mine (nor anybody else's) in months.
    Depends on your gaming. I never pay attention to my friend's avatars, but last night I tried out the 1 vs 100 beta and of course you can't *not* see it.

It's games like that that the avatar is built for. And yes, I spent *way* too much time tapping Y just to see what crazy dance moves I could get my avatar to do. And yes I giggled hysterically.

Back to the original question: if you *really* hated NXE I'm sure you could go back, but you'd probably need to (look away mods!) hack it or something.

IMO the NXE is great - I have zero issues with it and actually find it less confusing than the traditional blades.
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Insert Coin (Level 0) AceofGames's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Themes

I didn't see this mentioned here, so aside from the crummy "Window Shopping Mall Spree" layout and the terrible avatar (created by the same company that made Mii's) THE WORST part about NXE is the fact only one theme picture is displayed which makes any that you purchased before (during the time of blades) pretty much useless (oh and it also cuts out the bottom half). I personally wound up making my own background (on photoshop) due to this terrible design. I really think that there should be an option to turn it on or off. Thank you that was something that I had to get off of my chest it made me sooo mad that those themes that I paid for where mostly turds now. Oh and I almost forgot, you also can't use the texture either. ARRRRGRH.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Much like many others here, I don't like the NXE, but for a different reason: ads. Yes, the NXE was designed to pump more advertisements down your throat, because every time you boot up your system and sign in to Xbox Live, it defaults to the "Spotlight" section, which has ads for stuff going on inside Xbox Live, as well as just normal ads. It gets annoying due to the fact that I see this every time I have to boot up and sign in. It should always default you to the "My Xbox" channel, but no, they did that to ensure you would look at one of the ads being on display there. So, you have to do one little button press to get it off of the Spotlight channel. I know it's a minor thing, but the fact that I am paying $50 a year just to get shoved with ads that I would normally see on TV is ridiculous. The ads are partly a reason why I canceled my Gold membership. Another was due to the price and the fact that I'm not a big online player to begin with. I too don't understand how playing around the world with strangers is the next big thing. I kind of like it, but I prefer playing with people I know in the same household on split-screen. I originally liked Xbox Live, but over the years I've seen myself play online less and less on the Xbox 360 (Halo 3 wore out on me), so I finally decided to just cancel it for now and stick to the (so far) free Playstation Network.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

DOnt you have to install nxe to play anything newer then halo 3? I also dislike nxe for that avatar as well and in general preferred blades as well. 1 of my boxes still has the gui.
    I have not had internet for years , i dont get any ads but the annoying error still pops up when i log in about not having an internet connection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

I needed NXE so my profile would work. I had to work with MS directly as I had played two many games so it would not register any new titles on my profile.

I know this is an old thread and the OP has moved on, but I like NXE, even with the ads.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't mind the NXE. Although it does have alot of ads, I don't mind because theres also alot of free stuff there too.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.