Insert Coin (Level 0) darthi8nt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    darthi8nt

Default My Donkey Kong Project

Well it took me about three weeks to finish this project. I found a cocktail table cheap of Donkey Kong but it had many issues. The first main issue was the game did not run and the monitor was broken. Second was the top was broken and the locks were locked and no keys. Paint was faded and scraped up really bad and it had chewing gum wads on the bottom of it ,but I was determined to fix it.

First thing was to just get the game to run and after some multi meter testing on the circuit boards I found 6 resistors and 2 Capacitors were bad so I desoldered and resolder new ones. Next it was on to the monitor and what a challenge as this too was broken and needed a cap kit with 22 Capacitors and a complete discharge of the sanyo monitor which stores a high amount of volts of electricity man did I make sure I was completely grounded but it discharged with no problems.

Put the boards and monitor back into the case and it fired up great and the good news was the controllers and buttons worked great. Oh yeah and I did put a new cord end on the power cord because the one on it already was frayed.

I played Donkey Kong when I was a kid like crazy, some kids played Pacman or Ms Pacman but for me it was that dam ape with the crazy sound. So there I was playing Donkey Kong again and realized that the machine built in or sometime after 1981 did not keep the High Score saves. But thanks to Arcadeshop.com I found out some interesting stuff. A new chip which could be installed as an eeprom and it would allow me to save High Scores, run diagnostics and freeplay (note: the coin slots worked great on the machine and you could press the service swith inside for multiple credits) and it would also let me play Donkey Kong 2 the return of jumpman.

Now I ordered the chips and installed them and now DK1 and DK2 can be played in the one machine.

Off to the hardware store I went I had to get some wood and veneer to fix the top of the game plus hinges as the original hinges on the machine were ripped off. After a few days of working on the top I test fix the top back on the body and it fit nice and snug. I took the top back off and removed all the electronics and monitor from the case.

Fixing the body was a chore I needed some bondo and a hammer to fix some major dents that were in it, but I also made a decision not to make it too perfect like brand new because remember it is an antique and so I left a few imperfections there. I sanded it down with automotive 60,120,400,and 1000 wet/dry sandpaper and then primered the inside and outside and painted it Krylon Dark Brown which matched the original color. Installed the painted hinges by drilling new holes into the side of the body but measured it with the top in place.

Reinstalled the security locks after a trip to the lock smith shop which ran me 16 dollars for the locks keyed the same.(forgot to mention I drilled the original locks out to remove them since I had no keys for them.)

Painted the legs semi gloss black and polished the feet back to their bright aluminum color.

Removed the old chipped and cracked veneer and added new band of Red Oak veneer [2 inch strip to the tops sides] Then I stained it with minwax dark walnut water based stain. Finally, removed the old weather stripping from the top and replaced it with new weatherstripping. I then cleaned the top with a lint free cloth and some windex cleaned the glass top( has some scratches in it but its in good enough shape I wasn't going to replace it) reinstalled the glass clip holders to the tables top and I think it came out good. I will post some more pics of it soon. Here is one showing it playing DK2.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looks nice, have any more pictures?

It sounds like it was a bit rough when you bought it. How much did you pay for yours? I take it yours is a later board revision that didnt have the z80 soldered onto the PCB? Is yours a 4 board or a 2 board?

Since I've posted last in my thread I've replaced the 2 30k pots on the game board, with some 50k's. I also joined up over at KLOV, and got in contact with someone who is sending me a new z80 and socket so I can replace my soldered one (to eventually add the high score kit.) For now I have a dry erase marker and I'm keeing track of my top 5 high scores in the upper right corner of the glass.

Is this your only cab? I'd like another but I have no idea what I'd like to get. I need to really think about what I want though, as I only have room for 1 or 2 more tops. Maybe a MAME is a better idea.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    darthi8nt

I have some more pics that I will post soon. I paid $ 50.00 for the game. It was taking up room in this womans basement and I missed out on a popeye and a Williams defender cocktail table she had sold but those worked and needed a little work. My board has the TKG and is the 4 board set and the z80 is luckily socketed. For 79.00 dollars you can get the Donkey Kong 2 high score upgrade set at arcadeshop.com it lets you play DK2 the return of jumpman and DK1 in same unit. You hold down player 1 and player 2 buttons at the same time and then it will tell you to press jump to go to either game you are switching. Since I had already bought the dk highscore kit previously I paid 40 dollars just for the replacement chips. Tommorrow I'm getting an empty arcade upright with nothing in it for free from this guy I know and I plan on putting Mame into that. This is my only Arcade cab I own. But I have PS3
    Last edited by darthi8nt; 06-18-2009 at 07:30 PM. Reason: added some pics

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    namzep
    Steam
    namzep

Looks pretty cool. I really would like to add a cocktail at some point (a Nintendo vs. cocktail would be spiffy (and keep me from having one of those insanely heavy upright Vs. cabs).

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Right now I'm in the process of removing my old z80 from the board, and putting in a new socketed version. My solder remover broke halfway through the removal process, so now I'm waiting for the gorilla glue to dry on the tool, before I continue. I sure hope it works when I get it back together, as removing a z80 sure is time consuming. I wound up snipping all the pins, and getting a whole new chip.

Anyway I'm doing this in preparation for my high score save kit. I know I can get a save kit for $50, but spending an extra 30 and getting DKII is pretty tempting. I'll probably go that route, after seeing screen shots from it online. That and I'll have something to do, if I get bored of plain old Donkey Kong.

Anyway thanks for all the new pics. I'm documenting the repairs and and mods as I go with pics, and plan on updating it a bit down the road. One question though about your restoration. Where did you find the wood grain moulding to replace the old stuff? Is it just contact paper, or is it more the like the original thick stuff. I'd replace mine, if I could find something that matches it exactly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    darthi8nt

It is the actual red oak veneer used on the original cocktails. It is real wood with a contac glue for veneer on it. All you do is cut and apply with an iron set on cotton setting with no steam. I bought it at my local hardware store called Lowes since Home Depot doesn't carry it or at least the one I went to doesn't... it is the 2 inch rolls they come in 8 feet length and you will actually need two rolls to complete the job. Then I stained the veeneer with a water based wood stain. Oh, just a note I picked up a Tekken 2 cab with Jamma wiring harness Friday for $200 and the monitor is in great shape.
    Last edited by darthi8nt; 06-20-2009 at 10:54 PM.

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheDomesticInstitution View Post
    My solder remover broke halfway through the removal process, so now I'm waiting for the gorilla glue to dry on the tool, before I continue.
    Gorilla glue is the best type of glue to use on a Donkey Kong game, I think.

Anyway, It looks really nice. Good work on fixing it up. I wish I could find a cheap arcade machine that I could fix up. I bet that it's really satisfying to have a arcade machine that you completely restored by yourself.
    Last edited by Ryaan1234; 06-21-2009 at 01:17 AM. Reason: typo
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!