Thread: PCE Laseractive owners warning - Neoflash card

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Vlcice

Default PCE Laseractive owners warning - Neoflash card

I recently picked up one of the Neoflash flashcards for PC-Engine/Turbografx. I own a Laseractive with the NEC PAC, and was excited to try running more hucard games. Unfortunately, I discovered that there's a design flaw that prevents it running out of the box, even though they claim it works on all models of PCE.

There's a reset button on the card itself, I'm assuming because most PCEs don't have a reset button. However,

The PAC-N1/10 have a much more enclosed card slot than other PCEs! As a result, the reset switch gets caught on the top of the card slot and the button is held in, which prevents it from being able to run any games. I was too afraid to try taking the button off myself, but a friend helped me out and took it off for me - he said it was really easy. It works fine now, but if you're interested in buying one of these you'll have to keep in mind the fact that you'll have to do that in order to make it work.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Unfortunately, that seems to be a common problem with these unlicensed carts/cards. Tototek's Genesis Megacart not working right with X'Eye/Wondermega, Beggar Prince having save issues on hardware that isn't a Genesis 1, 2 or 3, etc. At least it sounds like there is a solution in this case even if it means losing the reset button.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You could also relocate the reset button.....Uhm....If I was the owner of the PAC-N1, I would install a region switch on it, to be able to play TurboGrafx 16 hucards as well.....
    §ø Ï ζ Ξ Δ φ Ψ ς ώ ☆ ¿ ∞ ♪ ξ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Vlcice

Quote Originally Posted by ooXxXoo View Post
    You could also relocate the reset button.....
    Luckily not necessary. The Laseractive itself has a reset button, which most PCEs apparently don't, and it's more convenient to hit the button on the unit than it would be to use the one on the card.

Uhm....If I was the owner of the PAC-N1, I would install a region switch on it, to be able to play TurboGrafx 16 hucards as well.....
    Has anyone ever done one of those on the N1?

Never let dreams die! CMA Death Adder's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Default ...

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    Beggar Prince having save issues on hardware that isn't a Genesis 1, 2 or 3
    The currently available version of Beggar Prince has no save issues whatsoever, on any revision of the Genesis, Mega Drive or clone system - even with 32X, SegaCD, etc. attached. The original save issue only affected copies of the game sold before October, 2007.
    Cruise by Diskman Presents : filled with geektastic classic gaming goodness!

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Is that true? I heard that it doesn't save on a Wondermega. I'm hoping I'm just outdated on this.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vlcice View Post
    Luckily not necessary. The Laseractive itself has a reset button, which most PCEs apparently don't, and it's more convenient to hit the button on the unit than it would be to use the one on the card.

Has anyone ever done one of those on the N1?
    Well, for people that have multiple PC Engine systems including the Laser Active PAC-N1, relocating the switch still is a good option, not hard at all.....The PAC-N1 region switch definitely can be done....I'm still looking for a PAC thou....
    §ø Ï ζ Ξ Δ φ Ψ ς ώ ☆ ¿ ∞ ♪ ξ

Never let dreams die! CMA Death Adder's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Default ...

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    Is that true? I heard that it doesn't save on a Wondermega. I'm hoping I'm just outdated on this.
    Yes, the currently available version works on all known revisions of the machine, including the Wondermega. Testing confirmed this.
    Cruise by Diskman Presents : filled with geektastic classic gaming goodness!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I personally won't run any homebrew and pirated hu-cards nor CDs on any of the LaserActive modules nor CLD-A100 player, it reduces the life expectancy of the system, well, it's just me. Another thing you don't want to use it on PAC-N1 is the Arcade Card Pro, you can fit it in, but you won't be able to take it out without taking the module apart, get Arcade Card Duo instead.