Thread: XBMC Setup Disc on XBOX.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

Default XBMC Setup Disc on XBOX.

Has anybody played with this new XBMC setup disc yet?

I've already have XBMC on my Xbox, but I installed it on the OEM hard drive. What I'd like to be able to do is make a backup of the current setup, copy it to PC via FTP, then use this disc to reinstall the backup on a larger hard drive. With the setup disc, it almost looks too easy, which admittedly is kind of what I'm hoping for here. Anyone tried it yet?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never used that disc, but it's cousin (which after this disc was designed) is kind of flakey and isn't particularly clear on the steps for more advanced things like replacing a hard drive. I honestly don't trust an automated installer to upgrade a hard drive, particularly on a softmodded system.

XBMC is really easy to install once your box is modded, all you do is FTP in and copy over the files into your dashboard folder.

When it comes to upgrading a hard drive, i have one simple rule to save a lot of headache later. Start off the new hard drive as a stock xbox with the standard retail dashboard, then re-mod the console and install all the applications and copy over your saves. Otherwise you're going to run into trouble with things like having the wrong bios and corrupting the hard drive.

Absoultely make sure you save a copy of the EEPROM off the console before you do anything with the hard drive. If anything goes wrong with the process, this is your only lifeboat to get your console up and running without installing a mod chip.

I already have 4 xboxes coming to me to fix the hard drives after they've been corrupted by people who messed up an upgrade. Just trying to save you some headache.
    Last edited by ProgrammingAce; 06-24-2009 at 05:53 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post

XBMC is really easy to install once your box is modded, all you do is FTP in and copy over the files into your dashboard folder.
    That's to make it as the default "OS", correct? I rather use it as a program/application...I load UnleashX first, since it has some nifty options I prefer over those in XBMC...plus I got used to it so it's hard to push it aside.

Speaking of which, I need to install the new XBMC...

Absoultely make sure you save a copy of the EEPROM off the console before you do anything with the hard drive. If anything goes wrong with the process, this is your only lifeboat to get your console up and running without installing a mod chip.
    So true. I can't agree enough. That backup is your lifesaver in case something wrong happens. What I do is, before upgrading, I make a backup of C, BIOS (including eeprom), and Dashboard...then I save to E BACKUP. I then transfer via FTP to my PC. Once that's done, then I install the softmod. Probably some unnecessary steps in there, but I kinda do this religiously nevertheless.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WolfpacLeader
    PSN
    wolfpacleader86

I usually make backups of both the C and E drives, and make a disk with Xbox HD Maker. This way it's there just in case my hard drive is cooked. Of course, be sure to update it here and there, you don't want to lose your saves. Also, try and delete your custom soundtracks before this. It has to fit on a CD. Plus, put JUST THE EEPROM.BIN in your EEPROM folder when making the disk.

I put that in caps because people just copy the whole eeprom folder to there and wonder why they cannot lock the new drive....

As far as XBOX Media Center, to agree with the above, keep it as an application and NOT an OS. Quite a few games and emulators lock up when launched from XBMC.

I don't use discs. I just copy the downloaded files to my HDD. Sometimes these discs can have malicious or corrupt code on it that could ruin your XBOX. Just download it from their site and FTP the folder to your E:/APPS folder. It works for me since I like to frequent the Wrestling media sites and just down have the time to burn all of those AVI's. But, I do notice that it's based on what codec people use. Sometimes, with certain codecs, the AVI's run slow on there. It's common. Just like what happened with my WWF Superstars episodes from April 1989.

But, if you have a HDD over 320GB, XBMC is worth it.
    Last edited by JohnnyBlaze; 06-24-2009 at 07:52 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBlaze View Post
    But, if you have a HDD over 320GB, XBMC is worth it.
    I would say it's worth it over 80GB.

For example, when I download something off the internet, I don't like watching it on my computer. I can either stream it off my PC via XBMC or I can transfer the file or files to the Xbox and play from there.

All in all, XBMC is an essential program that cannot be missed!
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Considering it's ability to stream video and music over the network, i frequently install it on systems with the stock hard drive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WolfpacLeader
    PSN
    wolfpacleader86

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    I would say it's worth it over 80GB.

For example, when I download something off the internet, I don't like watching it on my computer. I can either stream it off my PC via XBMC or I can transfer the file or files to the Xbox and play from there.

All in all, XBMC is an essential program that cannot be missed!
    That's true. But, if you're like me and have your Xbox in a place where it's impossible to put a network cable(my basement den in a near-100 year old house), you need a big hard drive to hold your games and your videos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBlaze View Post
    That's true. But, if you're like me and have your Xbox in a place where it's impossible to put a network cable(my basement den in a near-100 year old house), you need a big hard drive to hold your games and your videos.
    ...or, a big ass long ethernet cable drilled through the floors

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WolfpacLeader
    PSN
    wolfpacleader86

The only thing that sucks is that I can't. My grandfather doesn't want any more holes in the house and I don't blame them. Especially after the shit job DirecTV made trying to install that for our old tenants.