This thread is similar to the one I posted recently about trying to earn the 75,000 points for the H.E.R.O. patch. The game this time? Starhawk on the Vectrex. Now of course Starhawk doesn't have a patch or anything like that so it's more of a personal achievement thing.

I've been playing Starhawk for a couple months now ever since I got my Vectrex, and it seemed like breaking a score of 50,000 was impossible. I could get to around 49,800 but the higher my score got the lower my accuracy. It got to the point where if I didn't have to bonus large reticule then there was no way I could hit a single target.

After a couple weeks of practicing I got within 100 or 200 points dozens of times but I could never break 50,000 before running out of time. Finally, last night I decided to play some more as my cousin was using my TV to play my 360 so I sat down with my Vectrex. Things started off slow.

I hadn't played in a few days so my first few attempts didn't even break 40,000. Then again I ran out of time at 49,800. So aggravating. Then finally, I had reached 49,000 with about 5 seconds remaining. Things were looking good. I hit something! That itself was exciting enough. Then to my surpise the bonus ship appeared and I hit that too. Easy enough as it just flies straight towards you.

I was only a few hundred points away and now I had the large target. 2 seconds left, and I did it! I hit a ship that came flying in from the side of my screen, broke 50,000 points, and earned another 15 seconds. Of course in all my excitement I didn't manage to get another 10,000 points in time to keep my streak going, but I was happy enough to have finally broken that score. My final score for the night was 59,800.