Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    The DudeGuyMan

Default NES Post-72-pin Woes

I have an NES that I replaced the 72-pin connector in a little over a year ago. It worked great (for the most part) until a few weeks ago when it started to get the "blinkies" again. I'd hate to think my 72-pin connector has gone out & I need to replace it again, but I'm not sure how to verify that. If I connect the game via the Game Genie & insert that, the Game Genie menu will come up, but if I hit Start to bypass that, usually I just get a blue or white screen. Do any NES gurus here know what might be the best way for me to determine if I need a new 72-pin connector, or perhaps if my NES is on the out?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sounds like you need to clean your games. If you're already doing the rubbing alcohol on a cotton swab cleaning method, you probably need something a little more drastic. I like taking the cartridge apart and using a pencil eraser to rub away dirt and corrosion, but some people use scouring pads, Mr. Clean Magic Erasers or very fine sandpaper.

If that doesn't work, then it's the lockout chip. There are countless guides out there that show you how to do it, and it only takes a few minutes and guarantees you will never have another blinky screen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    The DudeGuyMan

I hadn't thought about the Magic Eraser thing - those work great for so many things, but honestly that never crossed my mind

As far as the lockout, are you saying there's a way to disable it so it doesn't interfere? The Game Genie has worked for me before many times on this particular console - what I'm saying is that the only way I can get the NES to boot up & display anything at all is to use the Game Genie - then at least the system will boot up w/o the constant power on/off thing. However, though the Game Genie screens will display, the game itself never boots after bypassing the GG menu/code screen.
    Twitter Facebook YouTube Tumblr My personal blog
    Game Boy Guru project - I'm attempting to collect, play, & review every North American Game Boy release!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MetalFRO View Post
    I hadn't thought about the Magic Eraser thing - those work great for so many things, but honestly that never crossed my mind

As far as the lockout, are you saying there's a way to disable it so it doesn't interfere? The Game Genie has worked for me before many times on this particular console - what I'm saying is that the only way I can get the NES to boot up & display anything at all is to use the Game Genie - then at least the system will boot up w/o the constant power on/off thing. However, though the Game Genie screens will display, the game itself never boots after bypassing the GG menu/code screen.

NES_Rules got it right...need to clean the games. Sounds like the connection between the GG and the 72 pin is fine. I would make sure to clean anything your going to play, and also clean the pins on the GG itself. A lot of the dirt will transfer from the game to the pins inside the console or GG.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MetalFRO View Post
    As far as the lockout, are you saying there's a way to disable it so it doesn't interfere?
    Yep, it's as simple as breaking off one of the pins on the chip. The only "side effect" is that the system will never blink, even when there is no cartridge in it.
    I generally disable it on every system I get when I rebend the pins. Disabling it just takes out one more hurdle you have to jump over in order to play the NES.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    The DudeGuyMan

Okay - I will try the Magic Eraser thing first, I think I have a spare around the kitchen somewhere that's unused. I will also seek out a guide for disabling the lockout - thanks for the advice!

EDIT: I assume the Magic Eraser should be dry?
    Game Boy Guru project - I'm attempting to collect, play, & review every North American Game Boy release!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would use a pencil eraser before the magic eraser. A magic eraser is a mild abrasive and is for corroded pins.

I personally use a metal polish called Mr. Metal (or Brasso) which makes the pins all shiny and conductive. As long as it's a non-abrasive metal cleaner that can be used on all metals... then it will work for your games. Also, invest in a game bit so you can take your games apart and clean them properly. A game bit should be a necessary accessory for any classic NES collector.

A new 72-pin should always be the last thing you do to make a NES work. You should clean all your games before you use them, and it will cut down on the blinking quite a bit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    The DudeGuyMan

^^ Yeah, I made sure to do the rubbing alcohol/q-tip thing before using any of the games on the current 72-pin connector, but obviously they can get old over time. As for a gamebit, yes, I've been needing to get one of those for some while. I will look into the metal polish idea, that sounds like a good plan. Thanks for all the advice!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you need game bits, I bought these ones on eBay. For under $10 you get both sizes (for Nintendo and Sega games and systems). I've used them a lot, and I haven't had any trouble with them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by TheDomesticInstitution View Post
    A magic eraser is a mild abrasive and
    ...a pencil eraser isn't a mild abrasive? In fact it's a strong abrasive from my experience.

Unless you need to clean out corrosion, isopropyl alcohol, 70%, every time.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    ...a pencil eraser isn't a mild abrasive? In fact it's a strong abrasive from my experience.

Unless you need to clean out corrosion, isopropyl alcohol, 70%, every time.
    Well, yeah I guess it is, but a pencil eraser usually won't leave scratches on the pins.

As for the magic eraser suggestion, I'm not sure how well it works on pins, because they seem to be chewed up pretty easy on anything but a smooth surface. It seems like you'd have to be fairly gentle, and it would take longer to use this method.

I'm just trying to agree with the guys, although I personally don't use erasers to clean contacts. Metal cleaner (and an old rag) has always produced the best results for me- even on the nastiest of pins. I put a little cleaner on the rag and scrub the hell out of the pins until I see them shine. I've used sandpaper only once or twice, and it was on severely rusty pins.
    Last edited by TheDomesticInstitution; 07-02-2009 at 08:02 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) plasticMan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

MetalFRO google newelectronx gamebit, i find them to be amoung the best on the market. most important they fit like they should

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    The DudeGuyMan

Thanks for the tip, plasticMan. I'll have to check into that. FINALLY got some Brasso at Home Depot yesterday. Might not get a chance to break it out today, but when I do I'll post my results as to what I did & how well it worked

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    The DudeGuyMan

Okay, so I received my Gamebits in the mail the other day (went ahead & got both sizes), and have opened & cleaned 8 of my games. Once I figured out that it was both a cleaning AND an alignment issue (looks like the pins on the carts have to be firmly to the left side of the slot to work), games are now booting right up. I played a few minutes of several games this evening: 1942, Adventure Island, Burai Fighter, Batman, and Bionic Commando. I have quite a few carts left to open & clean, but it's amazing how they all boot up right away now. Thanks so much for the help, all. I finally have my NES back!!! Now that there's a huge garage sale convention thing coming up in my area this weekend, I might have to dig around @ some sales to see if I can find a few more NES carts to add to my collection

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

no prob MetalFRO, happy to help. hope those gamebits last you along time. i used to own the black ones and sorry to say but they suck. they always break and aren't reliable. not nice, especially when you really need them.

like those times when you find a nice garage sales with lots of carts for sale that need massive cleaning - that's when those darn black gamebit fail. it has happened to me more than once. true story ppl.

anyways those sparkling shiny ones that i referred to you are holding up just fine. the teeth are still there after hundreds of opened carts. so im happy and pleased with the quality. play on MetalFRO, i know i will.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    The DudeGuyMan

I tried to buy from NEX like you suggested, but for some reason Google shopping cart was acting up, so I ended up getting them from Amazon. They are the black ones, but after some 15 carts the 3.8mm is holding up, so I'm hoping I can get through my collection of 60 or 70 just fine

I wish I had the "bag full of NES carts" at a garage sale happen to me....I've been waiting to stumble on a gold mine :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

speaking of gold, last weekend i struck it big on a yard sale. tons of video games. the carts were a bit worn and in bad condition, but i did not care. so far i've gotten 20% of the games fixed. so i'm happy.

hope you find your gold mine pretty soon. im scouting the area this weekend for another huge yard or garage sale. wish me luck.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smile

Now that you got it working don't forget to brake the lock out pin. I also do it to every Nes I get my hands on. The worst thing that will not happen anymore is when your playing the game and hella far it wont blink and reset on you. That kills. It also helps with some of the unlicensed games like color dreams n stuff.
    In yo face!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    GrantCanyon

how about ditching a zero and getting a hero (Sega Master System) NES systems are a pain!

I would rather have a regular NES than an NEX.. Ive had more problems with that system than the original.
    800,2600,5200,7800,C64,Intellivision,NES1+2,NEX,SM S 1+2,GENNY1-3,CDi,SEGA CD1+2,SNES1+2,TG16,VB,N64(Reg,blue,green),Saturn1+ 2,PS,PSone w/LCD,PS2,Xbox,NGPC,GG,GB,GBC,GBA,GBA SP,Game.com,WonderSwan,Lynx I+II,3D0fz1+10,PICO,Nomad,GP32,DC(reg+sport),GC (2of3),SuperFamicom,MVS, Neo Geo CD,Super Compact+Futbal edition,PSP,360,Wii,DS