Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PS2 Emulation coming to PS3

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PS2 Emulation coming to PS3

Apparently Sony patented a way to emulate the Emotion Engine from the PS2. I hope it's going to be a firmware update that brings us software bc!

http://www.siliconera.com/2009/06/29...ll-processors/
    Wii: 8285 8147 1575 6278

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As one of the 3 PS3 fans on these boards, this is good news. I do hope that you will be able to save games on the HD instead of a damn card.

Although, I'll be honest, I never had many PS2 titles. Of course, this may kick me in the ass to go out and pick up many of the games I missed out on the during the last generation. Let's hope the emulation doesn't totally suck though.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If they are able to get 80-90% BC with the PS3 without any additional cost involved, I'll pull the trigger and finally buy one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

'bout time. I kinda suspected it would be coming back after they referred to BC in one of their recent surveys.

I'll definitely be buying a PS3 once this is ready. I've got about 170 PS2 games but never touch them because they look terrible on my hdtv with PStwo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just went out of my way to purchase a 60gb PS3 just for BC. Ah well, at least I don't have to worry about too many emulation bugs.
    I have a sig?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why give something away when they can sell it? I imagine they're going to start selling PS2 titles via PSN. And because it's a nice source of revenue for publishers, I imagine the big three won't include BC in their next consoles.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    I Am Your Face
    PSN
    Solertia

The 80GB PS3 that was bundled with MGS4 at MGS4's launch already had software BC. That's the one I have.

Edit: Pardon me if this is a dumb question, but could you play any region PS2 game on a PS3 with PS2 emulation?
    Last edited by Solertia; 06-30-2009 at 12:10 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2) Hitman Tyler's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SILENT_CQC

This is kinda odd but what about the 60GB owners like myself and others, how will this affect our system?? I mean we already have BC, so whats going to happen? Will they make something u have to download via add-on when downloading firmware? Now thats a good option, make it so when you download the lastest firmware it ask would you like BC as a add-on.
    MY 100th POST:
    SUNDAY, AUGUST 31, 2008.... @ 9:41 A.M.

Mount Snakemoore

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by RCM View Post
    Why give something away when they can sell it? I imagine they're going to start selling PS2 titles via PSN. And because it's a nice source of revenue for publishers, I imagine the big three won't include BC in their next consoles.
    +1000 meseta for correct answer

If anyone thinks Sony was going to give this away, they're out of their minds.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OP...is this actually a new development? Sony started with full hardware support (launch systems), then went to emulation (early 80gb system), then dropped emulation entirely (current 80gb, 160gb).

Those wanting BC, just grab a 60 or a 20gb system. PS3s have very low failure rates so I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used one.

Make that 4 PS3 fans on the board.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Cloud121D
    PSN
    Cloud121
    Steam
    Cloud121D

Make it five PS3 fans. I love my 20GB model, gave it a 400GB HDD. I haven't been this in love with a console since my Dreamcast (which is say A LOT).
    My Game Collection
    "I am only what you see me as." - Obsidian Rose

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by backguard View Post
    Those wanting BC, just grab a 60 or a 20gb system. PS3s have very low failure rates so I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used one.
    Two things though:

- EVERYONE wants one of the original BC consoles, so they've been priced to all Holy Hell by resellers who know of the demand.
    - Most folks would rather have a brand new console that has BC if one of coming. Even if the used ones are pretty sturdy, I'd rather wait for one out of the box.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RicknSam
    PSN
    howie6925

Make that six PS3 Fans, I love this system. But it sounds like it maybe for the Ps3 slim.

"Perhaps, a firmware update or the new PlayStation 3 slim, which our friends at Ars Technica say is coming this fall, will utilize this technology."

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

So assuming the emulation is near 100%, does that mean the 60gig model would no longer be the "perfect" PS3?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Solertia View Post
    The 80GB PS3 that was bundled with MGS4 at MGS4's launch already had software BC. That's the one I have.
    The 80GB systems were only partially software. They still contained the original PS2 GPU. Although, that would still mean the link in the OP is inconsequential, because the Emotion Engine is the part that was removed and emulated.

Edit: Pardon me if this is a dumb question, but could you play any region PS2 game on a PS3 with PS2 emulation?
    Nope. Region locking is still intact for Playstation games even.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Sniderman View Post
    Two things though:

- EVERYONE wants one of the original BC consoles, so they've been priced to all Holy Hell by resellers who know of the demand.
    - Most folks would rather have a brand new console that has BC if one of coming. Even if the used ones are pretty sturdy, I'd rather wait for one out of the box.
    Supposedly the earlier models have been getting a lot of YLODs lately, I didn't want one of those. So I bought a new model 80GB, I don't care about BC because I will be setting my PS3 right next to my PS2.
    "Tell her you want to slide a hot throbbing cartridge in her warm tight console port. And if it starts blinking and flashing to just slide it back out and blow on it a little."--Sothy

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

7 PS3 fans.

I got the system before I got the Wii and 360. I went for the 60GB when it was new and was just really happy to be rid of those damn memory cards for PS1 & PS2 games. The only thing they are good for now are my cheated plythroughs - gameshark and action replay files.

I like sticking with the classic controller from 1995, not needing batteries, free online service, and optional game downloads. Good way to get demos without having to buy magazines and get free demo discs like in the old days. This system is good enough for me and hopefully new PS2 BC will attract more gamers so there will be more people to try playing online with. I still haven't tried playing online on any system yet, and I'd prefer this one since it's free.

I got Xbox 360 because I know it has exclusives, but I play it less. If I go for games for it, I'd get them cheap at the pawn shop.

I like the PS3 not for being a fanboy because I like all systems. It just fulfills my needs better and offers what I look for in a game system.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I have had a 60 GB since day one, it did YLOD, found out it was cause of dust, but I fixed it.

I made a topic about this a few months back and I still think this is going to happen and the main reason they pulled it was cause playing PS2 games on a PS3 is a bit buggy, though not buggy enough to notice but enough to create problems "over time" like Bluetooth disconnects mainly, but that's a severe problem when you think about it. I believe the culprit was emulating the multi-tap without actually having it. I think the code would somehow get crossed in the HD as a file rebuild (hidden menu fix) would usually fix the problem for me. I still stick by this.

I realize another reason would be they have been relying on PS2 sales to make up for loses on PS3 and this makes better sense, I believe it's a bit of both though and once the PS2 is out the dor I can't wait cause I know PS3 sufferes because of it, but it has also funded them so it's like a double edge.

I recently bought my son a new model 80GB without BC and the fact that it still has the create a PS2 memory card built in seems to be even more evidence. That's just too coincedental. PS3 really needs this as BC on PS3 is a godsend and freakin sweet, I wouldn't trade my 60GB for nothin! The way it upscales, smooths, use of wireless online and controllers and being able to create memory cards is just like a super PS2, it's really freakin awesome x10!
    Last edited by BHvrd; 06-30-2009 at 04:18 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

welp, i filled the cup.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got my 60gb right when they started phasing them out. I just hope they don't do something stupid like force software emulation if you have the hardware.

And I'd be another PS3 fan if there were more interesting games. I just keep telling myself FFXIII... FFXIII...