Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many of you are stricly sega-only collectors?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default How many of you are stricly sega-only collectors?

I got my first sega genesis back in 1992. My dad bought it for me from a pawn shop (back when genesis was considered a ps3) as a gift. The only game I had was Sonic the hedgehog 2. Then, as time passed, I remember begging my dad to buy me Sonic and Knuckles and it was selling for $40 brand new, (i did end up getting it, somehow). I would rent games from blockbuster alot too. (ghostbusters, sonic 3, power rangers, true lies, terminator 2). I don't know, I was always a genesis guy when I was younger.

And what do you know, the majority of my classic game collection is strictly sega genesis. Genesis seems to be the easiest stuff to find nowadays.

From what I've seen it looks like super nintendo had a way bigger library then genesis did, but I'm not sure. It also seems like Super nintendo games hold value longer then any genesis games.

So is anybody else strictly a genesis collector?
    Last edited by Ye0ldmario; 07-02-2009 at 12:29 AM.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

I own a complete Sega Genesis, Master System, Sega CD, 32X, and Pico collection. I wasn't a fan enough of Saturn or Game Gear to complete it but own the rarest titles.

Shorter answer... NO.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress View Post
    I own a complete Sega Genesis, Master System, Sega CD, 32X, and Pico collection. I wasn't a fan enough of Saturn or Game Gear to complete it but own the rarest titles.
    Do you own all of the SMS foreign titles as well, such as those from Tectoy?....Or just the US releases?...Just wondering ,
    §ø Ï ζ Ξ Δ φ Ψ ς ώ ☆ ¿ ∞ ♪ ξ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ntanner

Strange username for a strictly Sega collector

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I do own an NES and Gameboy, but my largest collection of games is dedicated to the Genesis (Xbox is 2nd).

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I could never just collect for one company but I have games and systems for Genesis, Sega cd, Game Gear, Saturn and Dreamcast.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

not sega only but love collecting sega. Had the rare games for saturn. Had about 50 games for genesis and have owned most of sega's hardware at some point (need a nomad still) love sega

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not strictly a Sega collector, but my largest collections are for Genesis and Saturn. I collect games I enjoy playing, and those two consoles have the largest numbers of such games (with Playstation a close third). Sega systems tend to have the best versions of multiplatform games, and Genesis and Saturn in particular have a lot of "hidden gems" which I enjoy discovering.

By the way, in terms of US releases, SNES had a bigger library than Genesis by like 20 games. Not a whole lot. Worldwide they would also be pretty close, because SNES/SFC had a larger Japanese library with many Japanese exclusives, whereas Mega Drive had a larger European library with many European exclusives, and Mega Drive also had some Japanese exclusives whereas there were hardly any European exclusive SNES games. The edge probably goes to SNES, but not by a huge margin.
    Last edited by j_factor; 07-02-2009 at 03:15 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

exclusively a sega collector - no
    primarily a sega collector - yes

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    CROM JR

for the longest time I refused to add a snes to my collection... thats how much I loved my genesis as apose to the snes...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My Sega consoles - Asian Multi-Mega,Asian Megadrive,Asian Megadrive 2, Asian 32x. (In the process of getting Asian MegaCD)

I am hunting for more Sega Asian games. They are becoming more rare these days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Genesis seems easier to collect because Sega used durable game boxes, bless them.

Of course the manuals tend to get funky.

Me, I find myself buying a good mix of Super Famicom / Mega Drive, ehh, seems a bit heavier on the MD side though. For domestic, the last thing I bought was a SNES game (Run Saber, got one in good enough condition that I shouldn't want to do it again).

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I always thought of myself being the last person who'd catch the collecting bug. I've always just bought whatever interested me at the time rather than set out to finish a goal. But recently I think I do have a goal I eventually would like to complete, albeit there's a somewhat practical reason for it.

I want to obtain all the various Genesis hardware models. Yeah, I know that sounds crazy (and sadly expensive) with things like the Teradrive and Aiwa boom box out there but I want to do something practical with them. I want to compile a comprehensive "bible" about them. Write down as much information as I can get from actually owning the things. Then I want to do a video/audio comparison by making recordings from each to see what the differences might be.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 07-02-2009 at 11:04 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The edge probably goes to SNES, but not by a huge margin.
    According to Guardiana, the worldwide titles for MD/Gen are 1046 (and many are probably duplicates), while there are 1450 or so SFC titles (that don't include western exclusives). So there are many more SNES/SFC titles.

--
    I only collect Mega Drive (Mega-CD, 32X). I will do so for some years ahead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    iycon

While i may have about 19 different systems my favorite to collect for is the Genei. I fell in love with it when i bought it back in 1992. I felt Sega's controllers felt more naturally in my hands, and that feeling carried over the the other system i love to collect, the X-Box (witch I consider to be the inheriter of Sega's legacy after the death of the Dreamcast)

Genesis--225 games
    Xbox-- 197 games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    I want to obtain all the various Genesis hardware models. Yeah, I know that sounds crazy (and sadly expensive) with things like the Teradrive and Aiwa boom box out there but I want to do something practical with them. I want to compile a comprehensive "bible" about them. Write down as much information as I can get from actually owning the things. Then I want to do a video/audio comparison by making recordings from each to see what the differences might be.
    Sounds like what I was planning (but way more comprehensive). We should compare notes sometime!

The A/V equipment to do it justice (I'm not sure mine will, it should squeak by though) could be expensive if you don't already have it and resort to eBay. Got lucky and got decent deals on my X-RGB 2 and the Sweetspot YUV/RGB Capture Card.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yeah, once I get into the thick of it I wouldn't mind working with somebody. I made a couple of audio recordings using a computer. I know video stuff will be a bit more complicated.

Cherry (Level 1) PresidentLeever's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I collected almost exclusively MD/Gen games until about 6-7 months back, and now I have all the games I want (except for a few rare shooters, but Kega emulates them well enough). It's probably my favourite console, and the games are usually cheap and in good condition. I'm at 122 games atm.

Now I'm picking up a few PS1/2 and GBA games that I really want, but I've no intention to start collecting seriously again.
    Last edited by PresidentLeever; 07-02-2009 at 12:38 PM.

Objection! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not exclusively, but there's just so much to love about Sega. Got a few of the expensive games, but it's just mostly stuff I like to play (except Project Justice. Like almost all Capcom fighters, it is no fun at all on single player).

Genesis favorites include Shining Force 2, Pulseman, Alisia Dragoon, El Viento, Gaiares, Phantasy Star IV, Sonic 1-3

Sega CD favorites include Popful Mail, Shining Force CD, Earthworm Jim Special Edition

Saturn favorites include Bubble Symphony, Magic Knight Rayearth, Astal, Vampire Savior, X-men VS Street Fighter, Last Gladiators Digital Pinball, Panzer Dragoon 1-2, and Saga

Dreamcast favorites include Shenmue 1 & 2, Sakura Wars, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Crazy Taxi, Space Channel 5, Chu Chu Rocket, Soul Calibur, Record of Lodoss War
    Serving the retrogaming community since March 2005

DP feedback: +47(!), no negatives
    can be found here: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66092

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When it comes to Sega systems I really like the ease of collecting for the Genesis. There are a lot of games to choose from and its library of games are relatively cheap. Besides this aspect and it being of the larger Sega collection sets I have the Saturn is my favorite of the line. It's hovering around 110 games including EU and JP imports. Just something about the Saturn sticks out above other game systems and only seeing myself down sizing that system as a last resort. With that said, my top company is Taito and all of their goodies that lie across the board. It's amazing how many ports of Bust-A-Move (Puzzle Bobble) are out there!
    Last edited by cyberfluxor; 07-02-2009 at 06:25 PM.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]