Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are some of your favorites no one seems to like?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What are some of your favorites no one seems to like?

What games do you really like, but seems that no one else enjoys them? Or games that you wouldn't even think anyone likes. Your own little hidden gems that doesn't seem like many other people see it as a "gem."

I know for the NES, there is a couple of games that I had so much fun with growing up, but never really heard anyone talk about them. G.I. Joe: The Atlantis Factor is probably one of my favorites on the NES (got to love the music). It's a cool little side-scroller, and did I mention the music? Also, I love the Little Mermaid for the NES. It's so simply, and yet so fun.

Also, does anyone else like the Castlevania for N64? It seems like not many people like this game. To me, it had a great balance of puzzles, platforming, and action.

Another is Mission Impossible for the N64. It's a neat stealth type game. I never really like games based off movies, but this is one of the few exceptions.

So what are some of your favorites that seem neglected in your eyes?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Bullet Witch!

I FREAKING LOVE Bullet Witch. Not only did that game single handedly sell me a 360 but it also reinvigorated my love for modern gaming. It's one of the most enjoyable games I have played in the past 8 years.

I honestly can't fathom why people didn't like it. But thats okay, I like it enough for all of the haters.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

Two Worlds. I love the game to death and yet everyone I talk to hates it. I found an enjoyable game under the bugs/glitches/shortcomings. I too enjoyed Bulletwitch, enough to finish it completely (stupid HELL mode being worth 1 GS point :P) 5 times. I also really dug Mad Tracks around the launch on XBLA, while the reviews and gamers alike were trashing it. Had the expansions been cheaper at the time I would have probably grabbed them...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wiz 'N' Liz. A classic in my eyes, but nobody else seems to notice. Sure its easy, but who cares? The gameplay is pure and simple. And its funny.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Michael Jackson's Moonwalker to an extent. Some like it, and some don't. I love the game though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

Many of the games I enjoy are down the beaten path… but here are some I enjoy which are hated by most everyone.

•Deep Blue (TG-16): Sure the game is unfair and such, but I just enjoy playing it and find the challenge to pull through just as fun. I am able to 1cc this game and can get to the final stage in the second loop.

•Chubby Cherub (NES): I don't know what it is, but I just have fun trying to get through this game. Sure, some things seem cheap and there are many issues, but some of the fun and challenge for me is to persevere through these shortcomings…

Quote Originally Posted by UK Collector View Post
    Wiz 'N' Liz. A classic in my eyes, but nobody else seems to notice. Sure its easy, but who cares? The gameplay is pure and simple. And its funny.
    I love Wiz & Liz. It is indeed a fun and great game…

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

A Nightmare on Elm Street for the Nintendo Entertainment System. I really find that game entertaining.
    DERP

Strawberry (Level 2) Streetball 21's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nesmaster View Post
    Two Worlds. I love the game to death and yet everyone I talk to hates it. I found an enjoyable game under the bugs/glitches/shortcomings. I too enjoyed Bulletwitch, enough to finish it completely (stupid HELL mode being worth 1 GS point :P) 5 times. I also really dug Mad Tracks around the launch on XBLA, while the reviews and gamers alike were trashing it. Had the expansions been cheaper at the time I would have probably grabbed them...
    I bought Two Worlds about a month ago but have yet to play it. I have heard average things about the game. Hopefully I can play it soon, it looks like a good game.

As for me, I'd have to say Super Mario Bros. 2. Mainly since a majority of people enjoy part 3 more. For some reason, I prefer part 2.

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It seems that I'm the only person on the net who loves Zelda II. Back in the day, everyone else loved it, now with the internet revolution, I found out I'm teh G4YZZ for liking it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

mario strikers charged
    sonic and the secret rings
    dark sector
    grid runner
    sonic adventure 2
    oddword stranger

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra Commander View Post
    It seems that I'm the only person on the net who loves Zelda II.
    Same here. I was surprised by the number of people here who spoke up that they liked this game in some other thread here awhile back, but the stigma still runs pretty strong that this game is widely held to be some sort of dark stain on the Zelda franchise, perhaps slightly above the CD-I games or something.

I think that although it has its warts, underneath those there's some pretty fun raw gameplay.

The "warts" in this case just being bad design decisions, such as the alligators that throw unblockable hatchets blocking the item (hammer) and the path towards the town that offers the only real viable attack against alligators that throw unblockable hatchets, the downward thrust.

Actually not including the upward and downward thrust from the very beginning was probably a bad design decision, because when you have both of those, that's when the raw gameplay element really opens up, at least IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I see a few games I like have already been mentioned: A Nightmare on Elm Street, Zelda II, Castlevania II... SMB II is still my favorite Mario game.

I'm a big fan of the Odyssey2, while a lot of people bash its entire library.

I've also always liked Journey Escape for the 2600, Jaws and... *gasp* Deadly Towers on the NES.
    o2william's Found & Lost

The Odyssey² Homepage! - Visit it for Sync-Sound Action!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Battletoads for Genesis.

Yeah, it's a pain in the ass to play, but it will keep you busy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I liked Mortal Kombat 4 and thought it was alot better than MK3 (which I never liked as much as the rest of the series). But most people hate it and consider it the worst of the regular MK series.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mega Man X6 - THIS is how you do a localization. Everyone else thinks it was "lazy" because they didn't just cut the voices like they did in X5.

FFXI - The only MMO that I've ever really liked. I'm reactivating this month, hopefully I'll get something to 75 before FFXIV, which will undoubtedly become my new obsession,

Gate 88 - Seriously, I don't know anyone else that likes this. It's Asteroids meets RTS, with controls taking after the former. The author went on to make Everyday Shooter, which I don't enjoy nearly as much.

Chex Quest - I know one other guy who like it, let alone played it. The people I know who actually played it generally hated it.

Gundam Crossfire - It has abysmal friendly AI, terrible slowdown, and some cheap missions. Still, it's a realistic Gundam game, which adds some artistic value. More accessible than Armored Core.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 - As much as the game sucks, it had some redeeming qualities. I loved the hub-world in Sonic Adventure, so seeing it implemented again was nice, even if it's not nearly as good. It also looks nice, the art style has definitely evolved into something with a lot of potential. Aside from that, everything sucked. I still look upon it more favorably than most.

Unreal Tournament 2003 - Nobody seems to remember this one too well. Sure, 2004 had most of the same content, but 2003 was an amazing game on its own. Where UT99 perfected deathmatch, 2k3 made it more fun. There's also mods that don't run well on 2k4 that were developed for 2k3.

Chrono Cross - Most people go into this one expecting the wrong thing. It's beautiful on its own if you look at it for what it is. It's not so much a sequel to CT as it is another story in the continuity.

Final Fantasy VIII - This one gets flack for all the wrong reasons. People don't like Squall because he's too negative, but it makes sense over time. It's easily the most human game in the series, but the fanbase has become something rather odd, preferring spiky hair and crazy plots. Given, FF8 jumps the shark when buildings start flying, and the plot doesn't make a whole lot of sense after that, it's still a good story with interesting themes.

The Dig - Eveyone seems to love Monkey Island, Sam & Max, etc. Nobody remembers The Dig, LucasArts only original science-fiction adventure game. The Dig had style and it had a really interesting story. The characters were great and the dialog was memorable. The puzzles were creative, etc. I loved everything about The Dig. I never noticed that the cut-scenes look different from the actual gameplay until I read a negative review, I just thought that was what their animation team came up with and it fit well enough. It's definitely got a cult following, but I wish it had done better and paved the way for more similar games.

A bit off topic, but there's a few games that I feel the complete inverse toward. Everyone raves about them, but I'm filled with hatred.

Halo - I really tried to like it. I played it through and saw it as a crappy Metroid ripoff in terms of story, and a lame shooter in terms of gameplay. I finally found my CD key the other day (backed up in a reg key, finally found a viewer app), and decided to give it one more chance. Before I even finished the first chapter, I had the worst headache of my LIFE. It took me hours to get to sleep that night. The art style TRIES, but that's the only complement I can give it.

Final Fantasy VII - I loved FF7. That was before Advent Children. That was before the fanboyism became widespread. That was before FF8 even came out. It's viewed differently today. There's a really good art style that you can tell it was going for, but it doesn't keep it consistent, forgivable considering their experience with PSX development. What they turned it into years later isn't that art style, it's something different. Now, while I have fond memories and still play it from time to time, I can't say that I'm anything close to what is now considered an FF7 fan.

Insert Coin (Level 0) chrissylas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I LOVE Text Adventures. Adventure games in general is my favorite genre so I'm a sucker for anything that involves more puzzles and less twitch action.

Also, Mystical Ninja 64 is probably my favorite N64 game ever. I'm an idiot so I own the American version, the EUR version and the Japanese version.

As far as mine:

Wall Street Kid for NES. Sure it's not that exciting but I remember buying it for the collection a few years ago and popping it in to see if it worked. Four hours later I stopped trying to make money and finally turned it off. It's probably in my top 5 NES games and I have no real idea why.

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer for the NES. I grew up playing this game and it has always held a soft spot in my gaming heart. What kind of person could hate a game where the first level has a giant octopus in the bottom of a huge ship infected with rats and pirates and where the second level involves rafting down a river with the ability to jump 100 feet in the air?

Strawberry (Level 2) Saabmeister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is there ANYBODY else out there that loves Auto Destruct for the Playstation?
    Ponce De Leon,
    Constantly on,
    The fountain of youth,
    Not Robotron.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Club Drive on the Jaguar. I've always liked it, and most people dump all over it.

South Park Rally on the Dreamcast. I never read any good reviews about it when it came out, so I put off buying it until I found it cheap. And it turned out to be pretty fun. A lot of reviewers complained about the courses and not having set tracks that you can end up going the wrong way on, but that's what I liked about it.

Star Wars: Demolition on the Dreamcast. Plenty of people have crapped on this game, but I love it. It takes the vehicular combat mechanics of Vigilante 8: Second Offense, but fixes the bugs from that game and makes it a little more challenging. I still fire it up to this day and play it for an hour or two at a time.

One game that I never really heard anything about, even right after its release, was Roadkill for the Xbox/GC/PS2. I loved the absolute hell out of that game. I bought every version and played it through at least a dozen times across all three consoles. I even hooked my GameCube up to my laptop and recorded some of the talk radio stations.
    Last edited by Steve W; 07-04-2009 at 12:51 AM.

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

My heart belongs to Phantom Dust. Turning Magic the Gathering into an action/mystical/weirdout massive one on one... one on three sometimes... gameplay... ah... it's so crazy. I love me some Phantom Dust. If you have an xbox get this.
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    Chex Quest - I know one other guy who like it, let alone played it. The people I know who actually played it generally hated it.
    Dude! I'm on a Chex Quest related forum! The game's actually got a fair following, quite a few fan sequels, and a couple of the guys from the original team that made it came over to the forum and developed another 5 levels and such. www.chexquest.org. Just remember that quite a bit of the user base is rather young, so expect some REALLY juvenile behavior.

I'm also on the boat that liked Fester's Quest. I mean, I can see why some people wouldn't like it, but to me it isn't so bad. I think that's one the James actually likes, and he's just taking the piss out of it for fun, kinda like Castlevania 2. I've often found that you really gotta try some of the games the Nerd talks about, sometimes they're REALLY good, just with some flaws that maybe cause people to overlook them. However, you're NEVER getting me to play Superman 64. The gameboy version was bad enough.

Milon's Secret Castle is another one that I love, although I can also see his nitpicks. But, it is aimed at people like my girlfriend, who LOVE to explore and discover secrets so...

One game that I LOVE that nobody seems to really know is Mole Mania for the Game Boy. Game was so much fun, and really tough! Yet, nobody really remembers it.

I also liked Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi on the Genesis. I've heard lots of people don't like this one because of the one hit kill thing, but to me it is the second best of the series, right behind Shinobi III.