Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What are some of your favorites no one seems to like?

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Quote Originally Posted by XYXZYZ View Post
    I really liked the first Ninja Turtles NES game. Everyone else seems to think it's too hard.

And how come people are mentioning Super Mario Bros. 2? I don't remember that game ever being unpopular.
    People are probably mentioning SMB2 after people started randomly hating the game after they found out it was basically Doki Doki Panic and SMB: The Lost Levels is actually the real Super Mario Bros. 2

I would take Super Mario 2 over Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels any day the week myself. Lost Levels is just a much too hard version of SMB.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't believe I forgot about this one...

E.T on 2600!

When you look at games of that era, E.T. was actually pretty ambitious in terms of gameplay. Maybe not the best execution, but it's creative, nonetheless.

Cherry (Level 1) PresidentLeever's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know anyone who likes/knows the old GB game Blaster Master Jr.
    sequel to Robo Warrior for the nes, and quite an improvement with multiscrollnig levels and bigger, more challenging bosses. Maybe it's just overlooked.

Why are people even mentioning stuff like smb and zelda? All the main games have millions of fans.

Cherry (Level 1) PresidentLeever's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MissingNo_1231 View Post
    Abadox (NES) - So few people seem to know about it, and those who do seem to just cast it off as being too difficult.
    Agreed, it's a really good game in the same vein as Gradius but faster paced and with better variation. My only gripes are the slow rate of fire on the main weapon, and how when you die later on it can be a real pain to get back on your feet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    People are probably mentioning SMB2 after people started randomly hating the game after they found out it was basically Doki Doki Panic and SMB: The Lost Levels is actually the real Super Mario Bros. 2

I would take Super Mario 2 over Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels any day the week myself. Lost Levels is just a much too hard version of SMB.
    I feel the same way. When I first played the Lost Levels on Super Mario All Stars, I got to about the 3 world, and have never played it again. It felt too much like the original, and was harder to top it off. I like a challenge, but sometimes I just want to progress through a game.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Adventures of Rad Gravity (NES)
    Blue Stinger (Dreamcast)
    Fester's Quest (NES)
    Low G Man (NES)
    Simpsons: Bart vs. the Space Mutants
    Simpsons: Bart vs. the World
    Solstice (NES)
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (NES)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XYXZYZ View Post
    I really liked the first Ninja Turtles NES game. Everyone else seems to think it's too hard.

And how come people are mentioning Super Mario Bros. 2? I don't remember that game ever being unpopular.
    I LOVE the first TMNT game. Although it is a bit difficult I managed to beat it back in the day as a kid so it's always been one of my favorite Nes games. Others have told you why SMB2 gets hate but honestly that game is way better than SMB1 imo. I use to obsess over SMB2 and have beaten it several times because of how much fun it is.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Insert Coin (Level 0) MissingNo_1231's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never new there was a general disdain for Super Mario Bros. 2.

I mean, it's not my favorite out of the original trilogy, but I love how different it is, and it's just a fun, quirky game.
    Wild MissingNo. Has Appeared!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ruudos View Post
    Blue Stinger (Dreamcast)
    Solstice (NES)
    Blue Stinger was awesome! So many memories! The solid graphics, the incredible music, the funny dialog and intriguing story. My friend and I played this game to death. I remember skipping out on the last bit of School one day so we could try and get past a part that we were both stuck on. I love how it parodied the survival horror genera (I think a lot of people didn't understand this) but at the same time managed to be half-way serious and craft an excellent original game. I love the RPG elements they threw in. Kill the monsters and they would drop gold. Then take the gold and buy better equipment, weapons, ammo and items to increase your stats!

Solstice is one of my favorite NES games ever. Great music, graphics, puzzles all thrown into a HUGE isometric platformer. This is one of the few games that I refuse to use any outside help with. I have been trying to beat it since i was a kid but I still can't find one of the staff pieces. ONE DAY I will beat this game! ::
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    I can't believe I forgot about this one...

E.T on 2600!

When you look at games of that era, E.T. was actually pretty ambitious in terms of gameplay. Maybe not the best execution, but it's creative, nonetheless.
    I can't believe it either! I actually loved the game.
    Everyone I've ever talked to who said it was the worst game ever, wasn't even born when the game came out.

Insert Coin (Level 0) gamesboro's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Beastech

Default I've got one

Fighting Masters for the Genesis.

Hardly anyone knows what it is, and everyone that does hates it....

Except for me.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Solstice is a great game, but it really needs a save feature. A similar game that comes to mind is The Immortal, both of which would have greatly benefitted from a few extra features.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

^I love Solstice! I've never gotten really far in the game, but it's really fun. I wish I could actually sit down someday and beat it...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Chrozi

Quote Originally Posted by o2william View Post
    I see a few games I like have already been mentioned: A Nightmare on Elm Street, Zelda II, Castlevania II... SMB II is still my favorite Mario game.

I'm a big fan of the Odyssey2, while a lot of people bash its entire library.

I've also always liked Journey Escape for the 2600, Jaws and... *gasp* Deadly Towers on the NES.
    I, too, like SMB2 and Jaws, I just wish you could save in Jaws. I also loved Goonies II, a lot of people I know hated it.

Rollcage I and II for PS1. <-- why no update yet???

Recently Street Fighter IV. I know people like it for the most part, but none of my friends are interested and I cant find a local tournament to play anywhere. I asked one store why they don't hold one and they said nobody is interested in playing.
    "Oh my lord it's nutty, yup!"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Space Ace and Lester the Unlikely, both for the SNES. Two great and quirky games that I don't think I've ever heard anything good about.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Saturday Night Slam Masters (AKA Muscle Bomber in JAP and EU) Arcade, Genesis, SNES - one of the coolest 4-player arcade wrestling games made by Capcom think Street Fighter/Final Fight crossed with Wrestlefest. And it retained it's fantastic 4 player modes for SNES. It's not so much that people "hate" it ... as much as they're totally un-aware of it. It's one of Capcom's best fighting games IMO and it's practically lost in their great yet under-rated fighting game history somewhere with Tech Romancer and just a few notches below Rival Schools.

Vigilante 8 (series) PS1, N64, Dreamcast, 360 - Over-shadowed by the Twisted Metal series, I always thought that these games, developed by Luxo-Flux for PS, N64 and Dreamcast (and recently Isopod labs for 360) were superior to all of the Twisted Metal offerings by way of cooler vechicles, more interesting characters, and better vehicle physics. I'm currently waiting for my 360 to be able to accept a license transfer so I can continue to play Vigilante 8 Arcade which currently will not allow for play/progress save on a non-licensed-tied system regardless of your XBLA login status.

Bionic Commando (current gen) PS3, 360 - a pretty polarizing title in the press and amongst modern gamers, I felt it did a great job of capturing everything that the Bionic Commando series had going for it and bringing it into a 3D game as best as it ever could be done. I think most people who disliked it had their expectations in a strange place as lots of criticsms seemd to come from places where the developers never said they were going with the play control or style (drowning death, non-sandbox levels, etc.).

And Malon, if you're still checking in with this thread - you can add my name to the list of gamers who did enjoy the 1st Castlevania entry on N64. It wasn't what I'd call a great "Castlevania" game ... but I really liked it as a 3D adventure/platforming game ... especially in comparison to other similar games that were out on the system.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 07-06-2009 at 12:01 PM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

Twisted Metal 3 is/was one of my favorites that alot of the faithful hate I guess because 989 did it instead of SingleTrac but I personally always preferred it over the others except for TM:Black
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Score another point for the N64 Castlevanias. I always found them to be more than competent games.

M.C. Kids. Gets far more hate than it should. In fact, I'd say it's a damn good game.

Batman: Return of the Joker. Sure it's a Contra clone. Sure Batman shouldn't be blasting people with various assault weapons. But it's a good game with great visuals and music.

Sewer Shark. I have a real soft spot for this game. If it were less grainy I don't think people would be so quick to lump it up with "those crappy FMV games."

Typing of the Dead. It's far more fun than it sounds. Typing nonsensical sentences while a giant monster is charging you is one of the greatest gifts Sega has ever given us.

Mega Man Soccer. It's actually fun despite the stigma behind it.

U.N. Squadron. I don't know if this game gets any "hate" per se, but not enough people acknowledge it.

Quote Originally Posted by Malon_Forever View Post
    Also, I love the Little Mermaid for the NES. It's so simply, and yet so fun.
    Hell, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by MissingNo_1231 View Post
    Abadox (NES) - So few people seem to know about it, and those who do seem to just cast it off as being too difficult.
    Hell, hell yes!

Quote Originally Posted by mezrabad View Post
    Psi-Ops (Xbox) - violent and fun. What's not to love about igniting a corpse with pyrokinetic powers and then flying it around with telekinetic powers, slamming it into your enemies and igniting them, too? Good times.
    Hell, hell, HELL YES!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    Sewer Shark. I have a real soft spot for this game. If it were less grainy I don't think people would be so quick to lump it up with "those crappy FMV games."
    There's a 3DO version, you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

And don't think I'm not contemplating getting a 3DO just for that very reason.