Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: why nintendo

Insert Coin (Level 0) adam_devry's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default why nintendo

Ok I know Im going to get alot of people who disagree with me but Im going to ask it anyway. Ok why do people think the NES is one of the best systems ever. Now I know it saved the gaming world but was is really that good. Some game are great but lets say outta the 700 games it has well say about 200 of them are worth playing thats not even half. Also about 100 or so games were sports. I think nintendo did not do a really great system until the SNES. Besides most the games sucked many had the blinking problem and that killed my NES playing. I could not play a game with out blowing in it of it freezing half way. So my ? is did anyone who went throught this get a sega instead of the SNES?
    Last edited by adam_devry; 07-05-2009 at 08:40 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by adam_devry View Post
    Some game are great but lets say outta the 700 games it has well say about 200 of them are worth playing thats not even half.
    How many other systems have 200 games worth playing?

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Ice View Post
    How many other systems have 200 games worth playing?
    The PS1 and PS2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

There are a ton of Nes games worth playing. Any successful system is going to have crap with the good. Nes is no different. I grew up with the NES and have played a wide range of the variety it offers. There are several titles that dont get alot of attention that we are great. I am currently playing Kickmaster and that is a good example of an excellent title that is "under the radar". A couple of factors usually will determine what you consider as a "good" game

1. What you grew up with
    2. What type of games you prefer(action platform, RPG, arcade)
    3. Age(usually)

With that being said, there are several people that dont prefer the NES. I guess what I am trying to say is that there is a big difference between not preferring a system and saying that a system has games that mosly sucked.

To me 200 games out of 700 is not that bad, and would say that there are at least 200 good titles.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Arcade Card Compatible Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I did end up getting a Genesis after the NES but that was because I wanted something that wasn't a Nintendo product. I do have to agree with everyone's comment so far that 200 is a good chunk of games that are good for a system and those games where worth it to fight through the terrible connector issues of the system. And I feel a lot of people had an NES as their first system so they have fond memories of playing it and can easily forgive the tons of shit games that popped up on it.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Part of it is nostalgia, and part of it is that it really is a great system. Greatest ever made? That's certainly debatable.

Personally, I'm a 16-bit guy and think the Genesis and SNES are the best. To each his own.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    The PS1 and PS2.
    OK so there's......two.

Insert Coin (Level 0) MissingNo_1231's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well, I love the NES, and I think it is an excellent system. Brilliant, with so many great games.

In my opinion, the SNES managed to expand upon that. I've said many times that it's my favorite system.

And I think that most people quote it as the best because it's recognizable and they grew up with it. And it's a good choice as gaming goes.
    Wild MissingNo. Has Appeared!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Also about 100 or so games were sports.
    That's probably a much smaller proportion than most systems.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

So many classics started out on the NES, it was the start of Nintendo, undoubtedly the most famous video company out there. On the NES we got:

Super Mario Bros.
    Legend of Zelda
    Metroid
    Contra
    Castlevania
    Mega Man
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    Bomberman
    Bubble Bobble
    Dragon Warrior
    Final Fantasy
    Ninja Gaiden
    Tetris
    Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!

And countless others.

Come on, case closed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Besides most the games sucked many had the blinking problem and that killed my NES playing. I could not play a game with out blowing in it of it freezing half way.
    Those who question the impact of the NES probably weren't old enough to remember just how big it was. The "blinking problem" wasn't an issue when the NES was new. Sure, nostalgia from us older gamers has probably hyped the system to a level higher than it truly deserves, but games like Karnov, Gun.Smoke, Pro Wrestling, etc... were just F'in awesome at the time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Blinking problem? You mean how the system sometimes has trouble reading cartridges? I just clean 'em out with a q-tip dipped in Witch Hazel or Rubbing Alcohol, and they work like 99% of the time.

If you mean images on screen blinking, which I guess happens occasionally, it's never been bad enough to interfere with my gaming experience.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    The PS1 and PS2.
    But they had more than 700ish games so the crap to good ratio is probably still the same.
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

Banana (Level 7) SamuraiSmurfette's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never had one when I was young = no love for it today.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSmurfette View Post
    I never had one when I was young = no love for it today.
    I didn't get one until I was in Sixth Grade. To put that in context, the Gamecube came out when I was in Sixth Grade.

It's not my favorite, but it's up there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    I Am Your Face
    PSN
    Solertia

lol opinions

Seriously though guys, the "best system" is all about what the best system is in your own eyes. Doesn't matter how many games it had, or what the good/bad ratio is or anything like that.

Now, let's talk about our feelings...
    Last edited by Solertia; 07-05-2009 at 10:43 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2) guitargary75's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    So many classics started out on the NES, it was the start of Nintendo, undoubtedly the most famous video company out there. On the NES we got:

Super Mario Bros.
    Legend of Zelda
    Metroid
    Contra
    Castlevania
    Mega Man
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    Bomberman
    Bubble Bobble
    Dragon Warrior
    Final Fantasy
    Ninja Gaiden
    Tetris
    Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!

And countless others.

Come on, case closed.
    I agree!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Being one who grew up on the NES, I'm rather fond of it.
    Besides it's historical impact, it was a major jump from the pre-crash Atari stuff, and the games appeal to me more than the Master System library.

It's rather funny to think that the system still has what many consider the "pinnacle" of certain game genres. It's a rather strong statement when people consider things like Mega Man 9 and Punch-Out!! for Wii -better- for "sticking to the classic formula", and everyone suddenly starts liking New Super Mario Bros. Wii as soon as the "Koopa Kids" from SMB3 are back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I'll put my 2 zenny on this.

Ok why do people think the NES is one of the best systems ever.
    Key word here is "one of", not "the". It ranks up there for many for the "saving the gaming world" reason you mention but also how it took the gaming world and shot it to a new dimension. Another would be the system's sheer variety of games everyone could enjoy, especially with the easy "pick up and play" controller.

Some game are great but lets say outta the 700 games it has well say about 200 of them are worth playing thats not even half.
    Like someone else asked: name a system that really has more than that ratio? And what's the measuring stick on "worth playing"? From a general score of 1 to 10, a "7" or above? 8?

Also about 100 or so games were sports.
    Your point? Also, how is this different from other systems like the Genesis or the Playstation? Sports games were and are popular and business is business.

I think nintendo did not do a really great system until the SNES.
    But if you look at roster of titles, you're going to see a good amount of sports games along with a good amount of dreck to go with the good stuff. For every Super Metroid there's four Family Dogs or Rise of the Robots.

Besides most the games sucked many had the blinking problem and that killed my NES playing. I could not play a game with out blowing in it of it freezing half way.
    Now what do you mean by "blinking problem"? If you're talking about a malfunction, that just means the contacts were dirty and you made it worse by blowing in it and getting the contacts all full of spit (your breath has humidity-no real way around it). Major problem if you rented frequently. Trust me, in a year I rented well over 100 games and isopropyl alcohol became a gaming companion.

But about the comment on how "most the games sucked"...again, that can be said about practically every system.

So my ? is did anyone who went throught this get a sega instead of the SNES?
    Okay...that's just a weird question. First you're talking about the NES then you switch about and ask about if the reader purchased the Genesis (I'm assuming) over a SNES. Are you asking because if a person had an issue with a Nintendo product did they switch to a Sega product?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question why cars

Ok I know Im going to get alot of people who disagree with me but Im going to ask it anyway. Ok why do people think that cars is one of the best forms of transportation ever. Now I know henry ford's assembly line saved the transprotation world but was is really that good. Some cars are great but lets say outta the 700 cars it has well say about 200 of them are worth drving thats not even half. Also about 100 or so cars were sports cars. I think cars did not do a really great thing until the flying car. Besides most the cars sucked many needed gas to run and that killed my drinving. I could not drive a car with out gas in it of it stalling half way. So my ? is did anyone who went throught this get a mule instead of the car?